Grain Elevator Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I have finally decided to try to get some of the pile of structures kits off the workbench. For a while now they have been teetering on the verge of triggering a kit box avalanche. I decided that I will build the structures and make small bases or dioramas to go with them. This way I can do some quick scenery and not just add them to the self orphan pile.

The first kit that I pulled out is the Walthers Farmers Cooperative Grain Elevator.

I quickly assembled the three buildings that are part of the kit.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

aac.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
First I airbrushed the buildings and other parts with an undercoat using Apple Barrel Dolphin Gray thinned 1:1 with blue windshield wiper fluid.

aad.jpg

aae.jpg

aaf.jpg

Since I want to have a paint peeling effect I will airbrush the underlying wood color on the buildings.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Oh, this is going to be good! Elevators are a classic RR scene. I really like your collection of covered hoppers too! Do you happen to have a pink Klemme Coop in the mix?
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks guys! :rolleyes:

Ralph said:
I really like your collection of covered hoppers too! Do you happen to have a pink Klemme Coop in the mix?
Ralph

You mean like this? :D

abu.jpg

This is a MDC/Roundhouse model. I also have an Athearn RTR one that is still in the box. I just reserved a couple from Intermountain's upcoming run. I think they are doing 12 numbers but I figured I'd start with two. :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
For the wood color I first airbrushed a coat of Folk Art Raw Umber thinned 1:1 with blue windshield washer fluid. To my horror I ran out of Raw Umber before I could do a second coat. So for the second coat I used Folk Art Burnt Umber.

aag.jpg

aah.jpg

aai.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
aam.jpg

aan.jpg

Once the rubber cement dries I will paint the final color. After the final coat dries I will take an eraser and rub off the paint in those areas. If all works I will have peeling paint.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Now I painted the final color for the buildings. I used Apple Barrel Red Apple. The undercoat of Raw Umber and Burnt Umber gave the red a darker and little uneven coloring which I thought looks better than the unpainted red plastic.

aaq.jpg

aar.jpg

aas.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next I use the gray end of a gray and white eraser and gently rub over the spots where I painted over the rubber cement.

Here is how the grain elevator building came out. Since the building is so tall I had to take a couple photos of each side. I don’t know what the white dots are. They’re not there on structure. I am guessing they are a reflection.

aat.jpg

aau.jpg

aav.jpg

aaw.jpg