Grain Elevator Diorama

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Hi TomPM. The diorama looks great. :thumb: Just an observation , and I am probably jumping the gun here, but if the outside has been neglected to the point where the paint is peeling, wouldn't the rest of the paint be more faded, at least on the sunward side? Perhaps a light whitewash to fade it a little. Maybe it's just the pictures, or did they just paint over existing peling paint. As I said, just an observation. Anyway, it looks good. :cool: :) :)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks everyone.

As this develops I have to remember to look back here for the great suggestions.

Clark
The lighting in the photos is not great and I still have some weathering to do.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I completed the ballast before we went on vacation.

ach.jpg

I placed the buildings in their approximate locations.

aci.jpg

acj.jpg

Here it is with a covered hopper.

ack.jpg

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Ahhh. making money at last. Loading the gon in the last photo shows that business is growing. Nice work Tom

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks Robin!

A little further along now.

I began adding ground cover. I used Woodland Scenics Fine Turf – Earth in the areas that will be under the buildings or where there will be a stone driveway and parking lot.

acl.jpg

acm.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have now added more turf. I used Medium Green Coarse in areas around the buildings and other areas that would not be subject to mowing or traffic.

acp.jpg

acq.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The buildings are now attached.

acr.jpg

acs.jpg

I still have a lot to do. There are sa couple of trees to plant along with bushes, grass, and adding other details.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
In the top picture of post 49 I noticed what looks like a wire coming out of or from under the small shed and running under the road. Is there a purpose for it? Is it just a wire that has yet to be covered or does it represent something?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks folks!

Pitchwife said:
In the top picture of post 49 I noticed what looks like a wire coming out of or from under the small shed and running under the road. Is there a purpose for it? Is it just a wire that has yet to be covered or does it represent something?

It took me a moment to figure it out.

It is the side of the building base that somehow I missed weathering. It will be covered up and hidden.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have now added some ballast along the tracks by the buildings. I did not ballast this area before because I needed to leave room for the buildings.

acv.jpg

acw.jpg

I also began adding clump foliage around the shack to hide the joint line.

acx.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Now I have worked on the gravel roads. For this I used a mixture of the following:
• Fine Light Gray Ballast
• Medium Buff Ballast
• Medium Gray Ballast
• Fine Cinders
• Medium Brown Ballast
• Coarse Dark Brown Ballast
• Earth Turf
• Coarse Burnt Grass Turf
• Coarse Light Grass Turf
• Coarse Yellow Grass Turf

acy.jpg

acz.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Next I added some more Clump Foliage, Fine Leaf Foliage around the shed. I also used some Dark Green Foliage to make some vines.

ada.jpg

Next I added some more coarse turf on the side of the tracks opposite from the buildings. For this I used the following mixture of Coarse Turfs:
• Burnt Grass
• Light Green
• Yellow Grass
• Medium Green

adb.jpg

adc.jpg