Full hulls without too many tears

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by barry, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

barry I can not pull up the picture............ can you download it and then upload it into the thread?

john
  2. barry

barry Active Member

AA gun

Sorry about that I thought originally they were bofors and probably are but this pic makes them look different

Attached Files:

3. Maurice

Maurice Member

4. barry

barry Active Member

3" Aa

Thanks Maurice from that I was able to find a plan of the gun. It was far too difficult to work on the tiny plan I was using in Metaseq so I opened a new file and drew up a fairly simple gun that took up the whole screen then just copied it into the actual metaseq file and scaled it down till it fitted on that plan. When it was processed by Pepakura I just threw away the bits that were impossible at 1/200.

Attached Files:

5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Barry, looking great so far! You are definately making me take closer looks at my models and seeing how I can enhance them! Thanks!

Chris
  6. barry

barry Active Member

general outline

Apart from some range finder tubs (no tubes on this version) this is most of the basic layout. Interesting contrast with Spruance most of the model is made with 160 gsm card.

Thanks for the flowers Chris

Attached Files:

7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I'm not sure if it's me and my eyes, but there is a very striking difference in overall size of the two models as well! They are in the same scale, are they not, bazzer?

Beautiful work as usual, mate...really a nice looking model, very pleasing lines. I still can't get over how quickly you build these hulls...from design to basic hull done in a matter of weeks. And I am mindful that you are building more than one at a time too, mate!:grin:

This is going to be a very impressive model when completed. Do treat us to more updates when you can, dear friend.

Cheers!
    Jim
  8. barry

barry Active Member

Size

Wotcher Jim

You made me wonder a lot last night about my scaling so I had a quick check round and I am pretty sure I have got it right. This is the rough check I did as well, lined up a few to see. It shows the size difference from 1943 to 1970s plus. I suppose we have carriers as battleships so destroyers as large cruisers is not that suprising.. I think the pic also show the marked difference in US and GB ship designs the US are definately production line designs. The destroyer in the foreground is Saumarez (still one of my favourite ships) from Gremir makes me see how far I have got to go to catch up. Anyway thought you might find it interesting.

Attached Files:

9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thats a sweet looking line-up Barry!
    It's nice to see them all in a row like that, great way to compare the size of scaled models.
    I think I like that Gremir Saumarez the best as well.
    Lots of details and just striking to look at!

Thanks for the great pics, Barry!

Russell
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

barry,

I think it was the camera angle............. I too thought the scale was off, but from you latest pictures they look correct.

It might have been that "forced perspective thing" that Hollywood uses to make King Kong look so big and Faye Ray look so small!

Nice fleet you have going there!

john
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Rest assured, I had no doubt as to your scaling, mate, it's just that the photo brought out how large Spruance is compared to the WWII ships.

I love that line up photo! Quite a collection, mate!

Cheers!
    Jim
  12. barry

barry Active Member

An experiment with reverse side printing

I decided to try printing the reverse side of the bridge sides to me it beats the hell out of mixing paint. It's pretty crude and wasteful of ink but I think it's well worth that.

Attached Files:

13. barry

barry Active Member

Bridge area

Aft bridge AA gun and a couple of stepladders and the bulwarks all looks a bit rough at the moment.

Attached Files:

14. Clashster

Clashster Member

The AA gun is looking good! Enjoying seeing this come together!

BTW - the new Avatar looks pretty cool! Wish I could see a larger pic! :grin:
  15. barry

barry Active Member

16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Well Barry (boat man), I suppose it is a flying BOAT. Nice model.
  17. Clashster

Clashster Member

Thanks, Barry! Very nice! The original was before my time on this forum! Thanks for posting the link!

Chris
  18. barry

barry Active Member

Gun barrrels

Made the barrels out of cigarette papers they are remarkably strong for their paper weight and fairly easy to roll. I think I shall use this medium more often now. The blast bags are the usual paper hankie stuffing and pva glue. Felt like a change from wire.

Attached Files:

19. Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!

Very nice barrels!

I still love the way the hull came out, so smooth, no ripples like some kits come out.

She's looking better and better!

Cheers!
    Jim
  20. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very cool idea for the barrels. I will have to keep that in mind if I ever get to one of my ships! Thanks for the update, Barry!

Chris