Flea market fix'r upper...

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Thanks guys/

I guess i am a bit of a perfectionist in many ways. Goes back to my college days when I painted wargaming miniatures as a hobby. Talk about tiny details!!!

I love working on trains and making them look great. I have finally taken the step up from Athearn quality up to the higher end stuff like P2K and Atlas and I am honestly amazed at how detailed those Loco's and Rolling stock.

I have an IHC SD-35 and I just bought today an Atlas Master series SD-35 and they are like night and day as far as the details go. From a distance there isnt much you can readily see but when you look closer all the tiny details just jump out at you.

I am hoping to get to the level of Atlas on detail as a sort of standard for my equipment and modeling I guess. But I am still a pretty good ways away from that.

I will stop hijacking your thread now Shaygetz. Thanks for the compliment on the tanker. It's amazing what a little brown and black wash and some kadees will do for a old tyco like that

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Nice work! It's good to see someone taking the time to "maintain" rolling stock!
I still find a few gems on the "used and abused" table in the hobby shop. A little paint, a little detail, and some weathering, and they go well with some of my old Varney stuff that I won't get rid of!
Pete

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Shaygetz: Your tale of woe about walking through the snow to get to the hobby shop tugs at my heart. Its a wonder that you didn't get frostbite and ruin your fingers for modeling.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Well - if you aren't going to do anything with that transfer caboose, I can find it a home :)
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Bob,
There is a guy in my hometown who picks up cast off cars like this, probably from junk stores and yard sales. He does the same thing, but probably uses detail parts instead of making them himself. He sells them at train shows for $10 a car and usually sells a bunch.

2slim

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Great work. I've found that buying the old toy cars and fixing them up is really enjoyable. About all I've done so far is body-mount the couplers, replace wheels and trucks, properly weight them, and replace a few grab irons and steps with brass wire. Fun stuff.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
shaygetz said:
As wit most of my gear, came across this pile awhile back, looking pretty lost. While nice looking, I don't care for the latest in RTR cars that cost $25-40 bucks. This is a Tyco quad hopper that had one of it's corner steps broke off. Started by snipping off the remaining details....

OH I HAVE THAT EXACT VIRGINIAN HOPPER!

gonna have to copy you and learn!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks guys.

Santa Fe Jack said:
This needs to happen to much of my older rolling stock. What do you find are the most effective methods for attaching the couplers to the bodies?

I find the best tool is a Kadee coupler gauge. I use it the guesstimate the height of the coupler and then stack layers of styrene to build a pad. Most times one is enough. After that, it's a matter of trial and error, usually requiring an additional red or grey Kadee washer or two. I really try to use screws to mount them to deal with the push/pull stresses of coupling though I've glued one or two in the past with no noticable problems.

Oh, yes, the transfer caboose...now works my MOW train with my 250 ton crane.:thumb:

Attachments

• transfer.jpg
    transfer.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 80

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Most excellant.

I devote myself to ebay and flea market junk and rebuilding it.

I commend you, this is what it is all about.

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
Here's one of my "fixer uppers"... I now have 10 of these Mehano ore cars and I have modified 5 of them. I just changed the couplers and trucks and then painted and lettered them for CPR.
IMG_8497.jpg

IMG_8498.jpg

Here is a Tyco tank car that I did many years ago.
IMG_8494.jpg

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Wow! That inspires me to re-do some old toy cars for my steam era layout rather than e-Bay them. Those Mehano hoppers REALLY look great.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
msowsun said:
Here's one of my "fixer uppers"... I now have 10 of these Mehano ore cars and I have modified 5 of them. I just changed the couplers and trucks and then painted and lettered them for CPR. Here is a Tyco tank car that I did many years ago.

Great stuff...amazing what new wheels, couplers and a touch or two of paint can do to a toy.:thumb:

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Great job!

I'm going to try and paint my first car this weekend! F7 sheel too!

I have put together several kits now and really enjoy it. I thought about taking some old Life Like cars and going over them but after looking at prices for new trucks and Kadee couplers it was cheaper to buy new, better quality kits.

Rick

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Dan McDonald said:
what kind of wheels are you putting on these?

I use Kadee, Atlas, Jay-Bee and Intermountain, whichever one will fit as the trucks generally differ in spacing from one brand to another as well as one decade to another. Sometimes a set can be made to fit by knocking the axle points off with a file---c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y:thumb: