Flea market fix'r upper...

shaygetz

As wit most of my gear, came across this pile awhile back, looking pretty lost. While nice looking, I don't care for the latest in RTR cars that cost $25-40 bucks. This is a Tyco quad hopper that had one of it's corner steps broke off. Started by snipping off the remaining details....

Attachments

• gon1.jpg
    gon1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 449

shaygetz

...cut off the truck mounted couplers and body mount a set of Kadees...

Attachments

• gon7.jpg
    gon7.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 427

shaygetz

...touch up the paint and prep for weathering. I did it all while watching Jesse James and Kid Rock bebopping around Mexico on Discovery Channel. I'll post a pic when it's weathered (the transfer caboose gets done next weekend ;) )

Attachments

• gon8a.JPG
    gon8a.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 437

NYC-BKO

Nice work Shay,

I got a bunch of these type cars sitting on the shelf to have the same thing done, most of the { toy } cars have decent bodies, just lack in the molded on parts, ladders, stirrups, etc., also the truck mounted couplers, how could I forget those. I have been looking for the last month at flea markets for more and haven't seen any but when I wasn't looking they were everwhere!! A few dollars in parts and you have a great looking car.

You are most definitely a man after my own heart.

I love taking old cars that nobody loves and making them into gems like this.

Some of my oldest examples of weathering here on the gauge started out as tyco cars just like this one. I used to have a pair of Blue Anthracite Coal cars by Tyco that looked fantastic after a good heavy weathering of "coal dust" and a coal load put in them. I never did go so far as shaving the molded on details though.

One of these days I will get around to shaving and putting on metal grab and ladders on all my rolling stock.

Great work on making that old tyco into a real gem.

shaygetz

Thank you, guys. This is my cheif joy in the hobby, reclaiming toys and making them models. I'll never forget seeing a picture off of John Allen's Gorre and Dephetid. In it was a well done oil facility that, on closer examination, revealed the trucks to be redetailed and repainted Tootsie Toys. Kinda felt like I was part of the Brotherhood after that. Here's the hopper, with PK2 wheelsets (a very free wheeling drop-in fit in Tyco Talgo trucks), weathered and ready to go...

Attachments

• gon10.jpg
    gon10.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 418

shaygetz

One more from the side. With all the fuss over the price of equipment nowadaze, I was hoping to kickstart a few folks out of the hobby of Acquiring Scale Railroady Stuff and into the craft of Model Building Type Railroading like it was when I was a youngun...goin' to the hobbyshop in the snow...barefoot...uphill....both ways...to buy brass track and poor running lokeys in three different (incorrect at that) paint schemes...gawking at $39 brass engines...sigh

Attachments

• gon11.jpg
    gon11.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 416
I know what you mean Shaygetz.

There is something about taking someones unwanted toy and turning it into something that is uniquely yours that just seems to be more satisfying than putting together a shake the bow kit or even getting a Atlas or some other brand RTR car.

When your done you can take pride in knowing that you made that little toy car into a great looking model and I know that I love it when people ask me what manufacturer made some of my redetailed toys and I tell them something like Tyco or life like they just are amazed that something that some of the rivet counters out there wouldn't even think twice about trying to use because it was beneath them can be made to look so outstanding.

I compared your tyco to a similar P2K car I recieved for christmas last year and other than the rivets on the body there is little to no difference in appearance. Tyco's were always a little heavy on the rivet size but when it is rolling down the rails who cares.

You have turned that tyco into a real work of art. I love seeing what you do with those things. Keep it up it helps to inspire me to improve my modelling skills to hopefully one day give you a run for your money :thumb:

I little taste of my handy work on old tycos for ya.

IMAG0013.JPG

shaygetz

Chessie1973 said:
You have turned that tyco into a real work of art. I love seeing what you do with those things. Keep it up it helps to inspire me to improve my modelling skills to hopefully one day give you a run for your money :thumb:

Please, Chess, my beloved thinks I'm hard enough to live with ;)

Thank you, it really is a kick on run night at the club when someone asks me, "What kit is that?".

Qustion for you Shaygetz.

How do you shave off the molded on things that are on the flat sides of the cars like the ladders and grab irons?

I have tried but it always looks like somthing was shaved off and not like it was just the side of the car.

I am stumped as to how to get the "ghost" of the molded detail to disappear properly so that the replacement wire details will look like they were always there.

jmarksbery

:wave: Really nice work by both of you. Cheap dosn't always mean poor as you have proved by these outstanding models. I like to do the cheapo's as I don't have the guts to tear into an expensive ones. At todays prices and on a fixed income this type of modeling is well needed. Thanks for the heads up, Jim :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

shaygetz

Thanks, Jim.

Chessie1973 said:
Qustion for you Shaygetz.

How do you shave off the molded on things that are on the flat sides of the cars like the ladders and grab irons?

I have tried but it always looks like somthing was shaved off and not like it was just the side of the car.

I am stumped as to how to get the "ghost" of the molded detail to disappear properly so that the replacement wire details will look like they were always there.

Long ago I adopted the Allen McClellan (owner of the well known V&O model railroad found often in MR) philosophy of "Good Enough". There just comes a point in a model when enough's enough. As time and skill are added, the model work will improve but even past "failures" are excellent milestones that bring back fond memories.

I don't sweat the "ghosts", if you look close enough, you'll see them on mine---no, I ain't pointing them out to you :p BTW Cool Beans on the tankcar :thumb: My 'puter apparently missed the download first time 'round.

cidchase

Hi Chessie,
Use a SHARP chisel (square) point xacto blade. Use a little piece of
fine sandpaper 600 or 1200. A little Squadron putty and sanding if
there's a scratch or gouge. :) :) :) :) :)