Do you run "local" railroads?

Hookups

Mar 11, 2006
Berlin Hts Ohio
Hey all,

I am just getting back into the hobby. I belong to a club, which is run whatever, and I am running on my father-in-laws as well.

My father-in-law models, Erie Lackawanna, Pennsy, B&O, and some NY Central. The funny thing is, I am getting in to CSX, so when I run his layout, I take over the B&O line.

To answer the question, yeah, we both model from our area or childhood.

Jerry

ejen34

Aug 6, 2006
Brewer, ME
To bad there is not an all of the above selection :thumb:
I run BAR, MEC, B&M, and Guilford which are or were locals as well as CP and BNSF. Also I have my own little fictional line called the Bangor and Milo Railroad (BMR). Isn't model RR'ing fun :thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I actually try to model what I see in my area. Here in Charlotte, we see just about everything from around the country. It's not uncommon to see UP, BNSF, KCS, TMX, Amtrak, and a host of regional diesels on the NS mainline tracks. While I try to stay in the current-day era, I like the F and E units too much not to include them, so my modeled town has a great engine repair/refurb works that restores those great engines of old for excursion runs.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
My fictional line (Las Cruces & Portales) is set in the New Mexico area, so I get to run whatever equipment I happen to like (steamers & ol' time rolling stock, properly letterd for the LC&P). But that also gives me the excuse to see a UP consist bringing traffic from the outside world, and (sometime in the future) to have a SF Super Chief in war bonnets zipping through...

rr9731's girl

Jan 2, 2007
Oneida, NY
my fiancee' railroader9731 and I are into running N scale mostly, we run CSX, Conrail,and also NYO&W. He's mainly into the old NYO&W because where we live the OLD trestle of the NYO&W is close. We also still have reminants of the old Oneida Station around. We also live close to CSX tracks, every chance we get we go and watch for trains, it's AMAZING what those HUGE machines can do.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is a good question that I've often wrestled with and wondered about.

My main layout focus is British and I always model the past, generally the 1950s. I'm trying to model Southwest England (the Somerset & Dorset Line). But, because I've inherited a very eclectic mixture of British and North American stockas well as my own collection, I also run trains from Northeastern Britain, Canada & the U.S.

I occasionally run North American trains (albeit through a British-looking landscape!) from the 1950s. I mainly have CN and Santa Fe trains from the 1950s. So when the layout is in 'North American mode,' I pretend that the region is either Southern Ontario or the Chicago area!

What else can I do apart from building another layout (that is North American) or getting rid of all my stock that doesn't represent SW England? Both aren't options at this point!

Rob

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
we're doing imaginary for our first layout- Thomas and friends! LOL

Then we'll play with our others which are santa fe and union pacific.

Our next real layout will probably be louisville- nashville something or something else like that.