Digital Camera Poll

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Revisit of tread... What Digital accessories are used?

Interesting to find this tread as I was just about to post a similar one. Other than the camera and software, what other accessories are useful? For example tripods or off-camera lighting.

I asked Casey a while back what photographic equipment he used as Casey presents such great work. I have been researching Digital cameras of late and have just purchased a Dimage 7Hi in the UK for £579 excluding VAT (about US$920) at a place called Costco. High street price is still about £900. I am taking it back to Australia with me so I get the VAT back. They sell for A$1980 in Australia (that's about US$1300). Couldn't find the earlier unit and the newer Dimage A1 is essentially the same with again more features.

I have some good software that came with a digital pen/pallette and hope to be able to use that.

The fact that Casey achieves such great results with his Dimage was a major influence in the decision, so thank you Casey. It would have been handy to have come across this tread a bit earlier so it may be worthwhile making it a 'sticky' or part of the Academy.

As to the Dimage, I am looking forward to learning how to use it. A few quick test shots shows it is an excellent piece of kit, however I don't think I have seen an uglier camera except for those that come with instructions written only in Cyrillic or Estonian. :)

Barry, thanks for the compliments. :)

I don't think you will regret your purchase. The DiMage is an excellent camera in every respect. I've had mine for 2 years now and still have no complaints other than there are still some features I have never learned to use. :rolleyes: But one of these days... ;)

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
A pleasure Casey, the camera certainly seems to have all and more than what I will need. I like the range of the lense. Now I can at least join in a bit with some photo postings. I am initially modelling an English landscape and farm buildings. An Australian timber yard will follow. Will that be OK as the photo postings I have seen to date in the forum are primarily US or Canadian? I am planning on a modular approach whereby I can swap out scenery blocks to suit British, Australia or North American settings as appropriate. At least that is my aim as I can't bring myself to stick to one country's railways exclusively.

Regards

Originally posted by bpate
I am initially modelling an English landscape and farm buildings. An Australian timber yard will follow. Will that be OK as the photo postings I have seen to date in the forum are primarily US or Canadian?
Regards

I don't think anyone is going to object :D ;)

Originally posted by bpate
I am planning on a modular approach whereby I can swap out scenery blocks to suit British, Australia or North American settings as appropriate. At least that is my aim as I can't bring myself to stick to one country's railways exclusively.

Regards

Your plan sounds similar to one that MikeB over at RR-L Forums is following. He is a Brit living in St. Louis, Mo., so his layout is actually 2 different railroads. One is a British-themed road with Hornby equipment. The other is North American-themed.

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
I have been working with the Sony Cyber-shot DCS-F-505V for about a year and a half, and have several thousand photo's on file (burned onto CD's). It is a 3.3 megapixel camera, with a 10X zoom (including the digital ...but the digital mode usually adds "noise" or distortion) and I usually shoot things on the high end for good quality. I have four or five tripods that I use (based on need) and edit material with MGI PHOTO SUITE (supplied by Sony) and find it very workable. Occasionally I use Adobe Photo Delux 4.0 ... but usually go back to MGI. I do a lot of close-up with macro ... but lately have been having some problems with soft focus. I also use filters on the lens including a UV filter to cut outdoor haze, and a circular polarizing filter to cut down or eliminate glare and harsh reflections from sunlight. I also recomment getting s sunshade for the lens to cut down cross glare (that ghost light that gets into the picture).

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Mine's not really a digital camera so much as it's a digital camcorder! ;)

I have the Panasonic PV-DV73 - passable as a camera, incredible as a camcorder.

I also got a PCMCIA card that reads all sorts of memory cards, the SD card included... Just swap in the card and presto!

bpate

Mar 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
A quick update on my Dimage purchase. I originally stated:

'I ...just purchased a Dimage 7Hi...at a place called Costco.'

I though it best to check about the VAT refund requirements before arriving at the airport. To cut a long story short the Costco store don't have the appropriate forms and I would not have been able to get the VAT refund so they took back the camera. I was able to find the Dimage 7i model for £630 and have the VAT refund forms in hand so will get about £70 back. I don't need the extra features the 7Hi has so I am a happy shopper!

Moral? A VAT refund in the UK requires a special VAT refund form filled out by the store and is refunded after the forms are processed at the airport.

Cheers

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Camera: Nikon CoolPix 2500

Scanners: HP ScanJet 5p, Olympus ES-10

Software: Paint Shop Pro 6, Photoshop 6, Nikon View 5