Digital Camera Poll

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
I just purchased an Olympus C-4000z a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix 775 which is great for point and shoot type of shots, but has severe limitations on what can be done photographing model railroad shots.

What I like most about the camera is its macro capabilities. I can get in real tight and not lose any picture quality or create bluryness. Aprerature capablilities are also a plus.

In my mind, it's the best feature-rich camera available out there under $450. You can even find them online for under $400.

Jim T

Jan 25, 2003
Warrenton, OR
www.freewebs.com
Hi David, I've got a Fugi FinePix 2650 I paid $200 for. Basically a point and shoot with the addition of some manual control over the flash mode , white balance, and exposure compensation. It also has a pretty good macro for a more inexpensive camera (it focuses to within 4").

I took the logging epuipment pictures (Jim T) over on the logging forum with it. Also I've got a few pictures of my under construction layout at: http://www.freewebs.com/bikentrike/modelrailroading.htm

Here's a good webpage for camera reviews: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Hope that helps, Jim

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
I ordered the Canon Powershot S30.
Got a phonecall from the shop it arrived and will be a proud owner of that camera tomorrow.
After learning stage I'll post some pics.

Paul

RaiderCTE

Jan 11, 2001
charlotte,NC
www.raidercte.netfirms.com
re

sony dcs s75 when I bought it it was $400, then you got to add memory, which I would recommend looking on Ebay for. I paid probably $60 for a 64mb memory stick when I bought my camera at Best Buy (electronic superstore). Then I wanted to make sure on my last vacation that I would not have to worry about running out of memory when we went places so I found another 64mb stick for $30 including shipping. BTW that Camera is a 3.1 megapixel and with a 64mb stick I can take 30 of the highest quality shots. Somewhere Shamus posted on the settings he uses for some of his shots, all I can recall is using a setting of f8, and also having to use a tripod or setting the camera on a stable base. Some photo pros can help a little more on that. I'm just relaying what I've found here in the past.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Dave, the price for the Fuji finepix 3800 I just purchased was $649 reduced from $799 Canadian dollars. GST and PST bring it over $700 HIgh priced here because of the low value of the Canadian Dollar.
It is packed with features like a 6X optical zoom lens and has a manual mode so depth of field shots can be taken. The view finder looks through the lens just like an SLR camera. 3.2 mega pixels. Came with a 16mb, xD-picture card.

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Congrads Robin on the new camera...took a fine picture of the snow at your front door.
My camera is a Fujifilm MX -2900 Zoom 2,3 megapixels 3xzoom
purchased second hand in Canada at about a third of the price I would have had to pay here in South Africa. Talk about money that has little value ,tell me about it But it takes great pictures.. A tip never leave home without the "Owners Manual"

Originally posted by 60103
I'm not in the digital business yet, as you can tell by the pictures that I post.
Could I ask if you would indicate a rough price that you paid for your cameras? It would help with the budgeting.

David, my Minolta DiMage 7 is no longer being advertised. It has been replaced by the DiMage 7i or hi. I believe the new models retail for around $1200. I would imagine a few phone calls to mail order outfits might turn up the older "7" model for probably around $300-400. All of the DiMage 7 models are capable of 5.24 megapixel files. The newer models just have added features.

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Digital Camera Prices

As you might surmise from my previous post, my Nikon D100 is not an inexpensive camera. I think it was around $1100 PLUS two lenses. By the time I added a few accessories, I've probably got around 2-2.1k in it.

If you're just starting out, I'm sure you can get an adequate digital for around $500 or less, and the prices are coming down.

P

philip

humpin that game

Originally posted by jon-monon
You don't want to know about the digital cam I've been using, and your not asking for input on the 35 mm, but you might be interested in The Gimp originally a Linux program, but now available For MS Windows. The Gimp does everthing you can immagine and more. It takes getting used to because it's alittle different, but it's free and powerful. I use both Linux and Windows versions for all my photo editing and drawing needs, except for when I do CAD type drawing.

Example...

Jon: My goodness..when I first looked at that photo I didn't notice that was you and Shamus! I was thinking ...who makes those figures, they look so real! LOL ! Who is that in the background? Your good!

philip:)

Oh Yeah, Camedia C-2100 Digital and Photoimpression software.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: humpin that game

Originally posted by philip

Jon: My goodness..when I first looked at that photo I didn't notice that was you and Shamus! I was thinking ...who makes those figures, they look so real! LOL ! Who is that in the background? Your good!

philip:)

Oh Yeah, Camedia C-2100 Digital and Photoimpression software.
fox56.jpg

Hiya Philip,
Perhaps I had better explain, here is the original I posted on another thread, Jon pasted myself and him in the front two figures as we are today, and the other two at the rear as we were some years ago.:D
Shamus
waver.gif

P

philip

now i know my eyesight is going.... LOL

My!...It has changed again...thanks Shamus !

philip;)

I use a Kodak EasyShare DX4900. it is a 4 MP camera with 2x optical and 6x digital zoom. it has all kinds of settings and I use it for taking pictures of models and of everything else. so far, I really like it.

I use MGI Photosuite for editing my photos (which mostly consists of cropping and resizing)

one thing i like about this camera is the base that you can buy for it. all you do is hook up the base to the computer then when you want to download photos, you place the camera on the base, push one button, and all the photos download to the comouter and the battery charges up. I got the camera and base and a 128mb flash (memory) card for around 500 bucks on ebay. the camera came with a 16mb card.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I use a FujiFilm FinePix 2800Zoom with a 6x optical and 2x digital zoom. For photo works I use both the new and an older Fuji program and PaintShop Pro 4.

Dick

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
I am using a HP Photo Smart 912. For tweaking the images I have been using Microsoft Photo Editor. Seems to work fine and the HP does a good job on close up images. My only beef with the digital we have is the shutter not always taking the image the exact instant I want it to. Nothing beats a real film camera for that.

Greg Elems

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Greg Elems
I am using a HP Photo Smart 912. For tweaking the images I have been using Microsoft Photo Editor. Seems to work fine and the HP does a good job on close up images. My only beef with the digital we have is the shutter not always taking the image the exact instant I want it to. Nothing beats a real film camera for that.

Greg Elems

I hear you. :( Mine can wait (Focus, Exp Etc.) for up to 1.5 Sec. --- Not good for baseball. :( :( I have gotten a few good shots by anticipating.