Designing the Su-7, Su-9, Su-17, Su-22 and MiG-21

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Paragon, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I've colored two versions of the IAI Lavi now, a white and blue prototype, and a camo version that is supposedly what it would have looked like in service. Both include alternate canopies, for one or two seat configuration. I was going to build the camo version, but the printhead on my printer can't use red for some reason, making the camo version turn out very green. The white and blue version version however looked fine (with the exception of the little red triangle beneath the cockpit), so I built it instead. Constrution is pretty simple, and I was able to finish in between an 1 and 2 hours, even on percocet. Anyway, here are images:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A lot of people have speculated that the Chinese J-10 Chengdu was actually a continuation of the Lavi design, purchased from Israel. While there are undoubtedly striking similarities, I have to say that having designed and built models of each from scratch, it doesn't seem likely to me that the J-10 is an adaptation of the Lavi. Subtle differences in the aircraft designs lead me to believe that while its very possible that the J-10 was based on some of the research that went into the Lavi's design, the Chinese designers did not utilize the Lavi airframe, and fabricated a completely new one.

Here are some images of the two side by side, in approximately the same scale:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

The IAI Lavi is now available for download on my website in the X-Planes section!
  3. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I was wondering if anyone here has any good 3 or 4-view images of the X-31 Vector, I think I'd like to pop that one out really quick. I found all of the simple images in Google, I'm looking for something with a little more detail.
  4. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Yesterday I went a little crazy and started building a bunch of my aircraft models as minis. They're not in a common scale, they're just all really small. I guess I figured I'd post them here to show that my models actually scale down pretty well without being impossible to build, like some other models would be. I probably wouldn't suggest this for some of my other models, like the C-27J Spartan, or the V-22 Osprey, but I've printed out a whole bunch of my other models at about the same size and they're just waiting to be built. I use #110 cardstock for my regular sized models, but for the minis I use #65, which seems to work very well for the scale.

I've always known there were problems with my F-86 model, but didn't know how to fix it. Last night, while I was building a mini F-86, I figured out how to fix one of the big problems, that made the rear fuselage look wrong. All my F-86 models, including the Golden Hawks model by Cuthbert have been fixed, and are available on my website.

Anyway, enough talk, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

Here's the new batch with four MiGs I built a long time ago:

[​IMG]
  5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

On to the next project! I've chosen another fighter, this time from the Cold War era. I haven't seen any cardmodels of this particular aircraft, so I hope I'm hitting a niche here that hasn't been hit yet. I'm not sure why I decided to go for this one, but I just did.

Anyway, here's the prototype build, the first person to identify it gets to choose the first paint scheme:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll need images for that paint scheme.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

ahh the f101 voodoo. vangaurd of the northern hemesphere!!
  7. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

DING DING DING! Yep, the F-101B in particular in this build, though the single-seat F-101A and C will be available as well.

So Nothing, got a particular paint scheme you want applied to her?
  8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

during the cold war Canada was the front line defense for intercept duties against russion formations coming over the artic. i think it would be fitting to do a canadian scheme to that end.
  9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

How does this look?

[​IMG]
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

perfect! i was just digging around my files. found this intercept pic.
    vodoointercept.jpg

that model really looks good!
  11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Oh, Boy! A Voodoo! Glad to see this one from you, Paragon. Since the Canadian scheme is already in the works, I was going to ask for a New York Air National Guard 107th Tactical Interceptor Group "Rainbow Squadron" F-101F, but I can't find any pictures of one! They flew with a red, blue, and yellow striped tail representing rainbows over Niagara Falls. Anyway, good marking reference for other USAF birds can be found here; http://www.swannysmodels.com/F101.html. Some interesting profiles for Canadian birds are here; http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter3/voodoos.htm

The Voodoo on display at the Naval Park in Buffalo, NY still had it's stripes when I first saw it around 22 years ago, but then it was repainted, and now looks like this; http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3W0Z. Wonder if it'll ever be repainted correctly?

Scott K.
  12. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Ok, I made the Canadian version of the F-101, but the printhead on my printer is not working properly, so it can't print red. Kodak is sending me a new one, plus new ink, so I will be able to soon. Instead, I printed out the USAF version I made last night as well. I had to color in a little red as you can tell, and the black isn't perfect, but its a problem with my printer, not the model:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll probably take a little time to make some more paint schemes for the Voodoo, but after that, I'd like to move on to my next model, which I'm thinking should be the F-3 Demon.
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thats awsome. i might do some repaints of this one. the F101 has always been a favorite of mine.
  14. edi

edi Member

the Voodoo looks very good, and sure, I`ll build it. Will be a good supplement of my Cold War jets
  15. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

the Voodoo will be up soon, after I make a few changes. I ended up not getting any more paint schemes done because I went to see "The Dark Knight" (great movie). I figure two schemes is plenty though, especially since, as always, everyone is encouraged to make their own.

Anyway, with the F-101 and F-105 out of the way, I've decided I'd like to go ahead and finish off the F-100s. I'll still be making the F-3 first, but after that will come the F-100, F-102, F-104, F-106, and possibly even the F-107, YF-108 F-109 and F-111.

So here's the question, which of those would you all like to see first? I personally like either the F-100 or the F-102 (I could probably do the F-106 at the same time) right now.
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i love that era of intercepters!
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

tough choice but id just start with the 100 and go up. :)
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I agree with Nothing. Going from 100 up will make your build decisions easier and folks will know what build order you are using. Plus, if you're lazy like me it's easier.
  19. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Alright, F-100 first it is. Also, the F-101 is now available on my website! I'd like to encourage pictures as well! Let me know if you have trouble with construction, though I think the diagram should make it easy.
  20. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thank you, Thank you! Just printed both out, and they're going to the front of my build queue. Pix to follow.

The rest of the Century series next? Preceded by the Demon? Yahoo! Keep 'em coming, and Thanks again!

Scott K.