"Business Card" industry: Part 2

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Last week I received a mailer from the Terminal Hobby Shop and while thumbing through the pages came across a picture of the "Sam Calhoon Fish Pier" kit. I don't have any water on the layout at this time but the kit intrigued me so I thought "what about Corn Syrup or other corn products to augment my "vegetarian" themed town"?

Soooo.... here is Viola's Corn Products.

Attachments

• dsc00139.jpg
    dsc00139.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 282

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by RailRon
Interesting structure and well done! :cool:
Is this a cardboard model? Or styrene?

And - I wonder how the other side looks like???

Ron

Catt and Ron, Thanks.

Ron- this is another one of my "Business Card" structures. I have a box of old business cards that has provided materials for several buildings in this forum. In a previous post I used some paper "Brick" and "wood sheeting" that Errol (kettlestack) provided for siding of some of the structures. I painted this one and used the "wood" for the platform and floor. I'll take a picture of the other side and post it for you.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by RailRon

And - I wonder how the other side looks like???

Ron

Ron - here is a shot of the rear of the building.

Ima - I still have about 200 left in this box and I just found a half of a box from the job I had before this one. Lots more work to do:D :D :D

Attachments

• dsc00143.jpg
    dsc00143.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 232

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
What an intricate building! You can almost feel the history of this industry, when the owners built another addendum to the original house, and then another one...

You really got a little masterpiece there, David. :) Thank you for sharing it with us.

Ron

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
That's so cool David! I'm a big fan of using readly available inexpensive materials to make interesting buildings. Say, how about a storage tank for that corn syrup?
Ralph

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
What A Great Job!

I just love those buildings with all sorts of add-ons, different rooflines, siding, and even building materials. You've done a super job of capturing the "we need more room, and we got this-here stuff. Let's build something" feel! It is going to take quite a while before I have the gumption to try this.

Well done!:)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Thanks for the comments.

Sato-it is good to see the "real thing". You have a very nice layout.

Ralph - storage tank is in the works. I am building it from a toilet paper roll form and "cards" with a wood support structure.

It is still detracting me from putting scenery on the layout. I think Tyson said it in his notes about his layout that when you start building structures like this and keep adding them - suddenly your little "sparcely populated" town starts to look like a George Sellios city. Got to stop sometime--but not now:D :D :) :)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Ralph
Say, how about a storage tank for that corn syrup?
Ralph

Ok, took a stab at the tank. Here are a couple not painted yet but you get the idea. I have no frame of reference for these things as I have never seen a "corn syrup" factory but I am learning.:D :D :) :)

I'll add some paint tomorrow and finish up the little pump shed and add some pipes and valves later.:) :) :)

Attachments

• dsc00146.jpg
    dsc00146.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 100

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by davidstrains
....It is still detracting me from putting scenery on the layout. I think Tyson said it in his notes about his layout that when you start building structures like this and keep adding them - suddenly your little "sparcely populated" town starts to look like a George Sellios city. Got to stop sometime--but not now:D :D :) :)

I know what you mean, David!
Getting "side-tracked" has become part of the hobby for me...at times I get frustrated with myself, but more often than not, I end up on a whole new venture, that I never planned, & have a whole lot of fun in the process! I never quite know where a project will take me!

btw...the storage tank is yet another excellent piece of craftsmanship!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: