Building the RK&M III: The Mountain

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Here's an idea for tunnel liners. They're flexible, not necessarily fully removable.

On my previous layout I had side access to the tunnel interior (vs. from underneath). But due to viewing angles I needed a liner for both sides of the track. SO I came up with this solution.

I used heavy duty aluminum foil, crumpled and painted then arched over the track and hot glued to one side. This way I could lift up the liner to rerail or retreive any equipment stuck in the tunnel, then bend it back down into place afterwards.

First I crumpled the foil to add a rocky look. Then I painted the foil with a can of black spray paint. After the black had dried I added shades of light gray. You could also use that texture paint from the craft store...the stuff that sprays out little colored flecks. They make one with a nice granite color palate of black, white and gray. But really I think just the basic black with a dusting of grays or your base earth coat, is best.

Also, be sure to spray the secondary color 'into' the tunnel. What you want to acheive is a shadow effect from the black. SO an observer looking into the tunnel sees mostly your base rock color with black shadows behind any crinkles...uh, rocks. Just make sure the black coats the foil well enough to hide any shiny edges or points.

Galen

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks!

Here is how the mountain area looks after I gave it a layer of plaster over the paper towels.

mountain_o_001a.jpg

mountain_o_002a.jpg

mountain_o_003a.jpg

mountain_o_004a.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Tom...!!! Looking good. Waiting to see how you paint the rock work so I can go ahead with my finishing....
I think some LGM have snuck a teeny yellow car to get about on your layout...Watch out for them...!!!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Using Woodland Scenics Smooth-It I built the road over the mountain.

Looking up the mountain:
mountain_s_001a.jpg

Connecting to the Farm House Diorama
mountain_s_002a.jpg

Looking down from the top of the mountain
mountain_s_003a.jpg

I need to smooth out some bumps and add things like cracks.

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Looks good Tom I was reading or was it maybe viewing one of my video's ah yes it was the Dave Frarey video on making Talus by hammering down some plaster chunks to a useable size then dumping them in a can of black wash then dumping them in a can of earth tone wash they came out looking awsome, err just a thought. Keep up the great work :wave:

Jeffs_Railroad

Dec 18, 2006
Connecticut
Hi Tom, you are doing a great job very impressive!!

Being relatively new to the board, and following the thread to current progress in your developing the layout I am learning a lot from the masters on this board.

Perhaps with the knowledge gained from attending the Springfield, MA show last year I may be a little confused or as they say a little knowledge I may be dangerous to my layout. I would appreciate your help and others in guiding me down the tracks.
1) I have been noticing that most everyone uses what appears to be building foam. When I attended the train show in Springfield, MA last year they built their mountains using form to form the tunnel and then rolled up newspaper to sculpture the remaining mounds. Then they placed sheets of newspaper over the mounds and wet the paper with a sprayer to see if they got the desire shape. I would appreciate knowing if there is an advantage to using foam as you did and sculpturing the mountain vs. rolled up newspaper?
2) When developing rocks you sculptured them. Are there advantages and more realism to sculpturing the rocks vs. using aluminum to make the rocks?
3) Tunnel Portal, here I probably missed the boat. How and what did you use to fill the gaps between your mountain and portal?
4) Weathering is a bit scary to me. When you weathered the tracks, you painted them and then cleaned them. Painting seemed easy but how did you clean them? Especially the switch tracks?

Thanks to all of you, I am learning a great deal and would like to thank each and everyone of you in advance. Nice to know I have a place to go to get answers to my questions. Certainly gives me the confidence to continue building my layout. Hope to someday answer and help others on the board.

Sincerely,
Jeff

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
My layout is portable, so foam was the way to go. Over the carved and shaped foam, a layer of DAP "Fast & Final" latex based spackle was spread to create the gentle rolling hills for my Napa Valley area (California) scenery. I have used the newspaper/windowscreen/hydrocal plaster method in the past, and while it looked great, it was always so fragile and didn't stand up to the portability of the layout. I was constantly cleaning chips of plaster from inside the tunnel everytime I moved the layout and took it to a show. The foam *to me* is also much easier to shape and form than trying to do the same with hydrocal and screen.

The foam is just more durable and easier to work with in my opinion.