BLI Switchers finally out!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by spitfire, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Ellis J-R

Ellis J-R New Member

Not really Russ so I've sent it back and will wait for a re-run which I hope will appear.
    Cheers

Ellis
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm just curious, did you buy it from a U.K. BLI distributor or did you mail order from out of the country. If you mail order from the U.S., I presume you would pay import duty. If you send it back do they refund the duty? It is none of my business, but I'm curious how things work in other countries.
  3. Ellis J-R

Ellis J-R New Member

Yes Russ, I got it mail order from a dealer over here who paid Customs duty and VAT (Value Added Tax)on arrival which means the price is more than the US price. I have had mail order from the US in the past and some times the Customs have let it through (hooray) and sometimes they have charged Duty and VAT(Boo). Of late delivery has been somewhat erratic, two air mail packages took 6 and 13 weeks respectively instead of the normal five days, so tend not to order direct if it is available over here. I think it is possible to get a refund if sending goods back to the US for repair but it is more form filling and hassle than it is worth. Will be delighted to answer any more queries.
    Cheers,
    Ellis
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Ellis, have you already sent it? Are you asking for a refund or a repair? Isn't there someone at your hobby shop that can do the re-wiring? Seems like this is going to cost you money for nothing.

Val
  5. Ellis J-R

Ellis J-R New Member

I sent it back Val for a refund and as the dealer is refunding postage I'm not out of pocket, He may have been able to do the rewiring but I don't know how proficient he is. I'm sure I'll get one, correctly wired, in due course. I clicked on your layout last night - nice.
    Cheers
    Ellis
  6. brakie

brakie Active Member

Guys,It seems to me that BLI has a QC problem with several of their locomotives..
    It is my opinion BIL must address this problem as quickly as possible since it appears that a lot of their locomotives is being returned for many reasons.I know of 3 hobby shops that will no longer carry BLI products because of the return ratio and cancellation of orders compared to other brands.. :(
    I also notice the generic diesel sounds.That should be address as well as a SD40-2 does not sound like a 567B prime mover found in (say) a GP9. :eek: :(
  7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Ellis, I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you're not out of pocket on the deal.

Brakie, I think these are valid points, and that you should send an email to BLI to tell them your concerns. It's possible they are growing too fast. Time will tell if they become the kind of rock solid, responsive kind of company like Life-Like, Atlas or Kato to name a few.

Val
  8. Jon Grant

Jon Grant Member

I have had the same experience as Ellis with the import duty, although I did get one of my SW7's from Tony's Trains within a week. I got the other one locally from Doncaster show, last weekend for slightly less than US$ + UKĀ£ postage.

I am really pleased with the look, operation and sound, and have had none of the problems others seem to be experiencing. I run them on the upgraded NCE DCC system.

Here's a couple of pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon
  9. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I just received an email back from Broadway Limited and here's what they said. Once they were aware of the problem with the reverse wiring they stopped shipping the units. All units now being shipped have the problem corrected.

Val