BLI Switchers finally out!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I have been anxiously waiting for the Broadway Limited NW2/SW7 ever since they first announced it 2002 for December release. The release date got pushed forward quite a few times since then, but they're finally out and I have one!!! :D Runs very smoothly at low speed, has all the bells and whistles (plus coupling/uncoupling, dynamic brakes, 8 notches etc).

Only a few roadnames are offered, so I'm busy re-painting mine to Canadian National livery - black with CN yellow.

Proto 2000 have announced a line of switchers with DCC sound as well, and they will have CN and CP in early and late paint schemes (as well as a bunch of other roadnames). Release of those is about 9 months away.

Val

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
From what I had seen on a few "write-up's", the common flaw seemed to be that it's sound was low in volume... but I have two other BLI lokeys, and I didn't think the sound on my new NW-2 was that far off the mark. Like Val says , it runs smoothly and will pull 14 cars (my present rolling stock inventory...) quite nicely. It is a neat little switcher, and it has darn good sound's.

Bob :thumb:

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
LOL greetings:)

I got mine today.. the dealer got them in yesterday in Markham:)

I got an undec SW and am doing mine in 1950's GTW black and yellow with a few detauils to turn it into an SW9. Interestingly, the SW7's have a twin headlight, but the undecs have a single headlight (like the NW2's), which is exactly what I needed for my GTW one. (and yes I did check I have an undec SW not an NW.. the front grills are different, as are the side grills)

Mine also runs great.. a bit growly, but that will no doubt become quiter with a bit of lub and running in.

Sound was great, although I have lowered the volume on the horn a little.. it was quite penetrating:)

As my first HO locomotive, I am very impressed.

Regards

Graham

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Bill, I saw it at the LHS. Being mostly interested in CN and CP I didn't make note of the other roadnames, but if there's one you're interested in I can ask next time I'm there. The only other details I can recall are that it's the QSI sound system. They were taking deposits for advance reservations, but since it's not due out for 9 months I decided to wait.

Val

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Val,

Thanks for the offer. I just buy the colors I like -- maybe some day I'll pick a road and re-paint -- not at that point yet.

Thanks

Bill

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Val, greetings :)

I just had a look inside my SW7.. I mentioned it was a bit growly yesterday.

I discovered mine had been shipped "dry" no grease, lube or anything.

You may want to have a look at yours before it gets too many road miles on it, just in case. A drop of Labelles 108 on each gear train worked wonders :thumb:

Personally I would rather it was shipped "dry" than with grease everywhere.. but it would be nice to have a warning on the box.

It may however be a one off, but I thought it worth mentioning:)

Regards

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Graham

Thanks for the heads up. The manual says they are pre-lubed. I'm wondering if it's because yours was an undecorated model. Maybe they didn't lube it in case some got onto the shell and made it too hard to paint. Anyway, it's definitely worth looking into, so thanks for letting me know. :thumb:

Val

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
spitfire said:
Hi Graham

Thanks for the heads up. The manual says they are pre-lubed. I'm wondering if it's because yours was an undecorated model. Maybe they didn't lube it in case some got onto the shell and made it too hard to paint. Anyway, it's definitely worth looking into, so thanks for letting me know. :thumb:

Val
Ditto on the Thanks, Graham... I checked my Great Northern model (NW-2) and it was dry also. As you said, Val.. the manual said it was lubed, and BLI's site says that the NW-2/SW-7 switchers are equipped with a "dual speaker" sound system. (Me thinks they need to do some proof reading...).

I also heard that BLI "changed horses in mid-stream" with these switcher models, as about half way through, they switched the assembly site from China to Korea. (I was told that the ones marked Korea seem to have more problems...)

I think I'll pop open my BLI Mikado, and my BLI E-7A to check their lube, also !

Bob :confused:

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

I popped the top off of mine and it looks dry, also. Theres a small hole over the back worm gear. I assume this is where you could add a drop of lube??

But no way to get to the front gears? Do you have to take everything apart --
Or, does the gear cover on the bottom of the trucks snap off?

If you can help, I would appreciate it. I'm new at this and don't want to ruin it.

Thanks,

Bill

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Bill :)

Yep, the front is awful to get to, because its below all the electronics and the speaker.

Honestly, my advice is leave it be.

I actually added some to the front bogie (I hope) by gently inserting a long needle with a drob of lube on it fronm the side of the loco into the region where I thought the gears would be and then ran it a bit..

Getting to the front bogie would be a total dismantle job.

Even getting all the cab parts seperated ready for painting was an interesting little excercise:)

Regards

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Bill... Sorry for the slow response, but I've been out most of the day. I have sent BLI an e-mail message requesting info on the best way to lube the front drive... I'll share any response I get from them.

Bob

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Ellis J-R said:
Not really Russ so I've sent it back and will wait for a re-run which I hope will appear.
Cheers

Ellis

I'm just curious, did you buy it from a U.K. BLI distributor or did you mail order from out of the country. If you mail order from the U.S., I presume you would pay import duty. If you send it back do they refund the duty? It is none of my business, but I'm curious how things work in other countries.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,It seems to me that BLI has a QC problem with several of their locomotives..
It is my opinion BIL must address this problem as quickly as possible since it appears that a lot of their locomotives is being returned for many reasons.I know of 3 hobby shops that will no longer carry BLI products because of the return ratio and cancellation of orders compared to other brands.. :(
I also notice the generic diesel sounds.That should be address as well as a SD40-2 does not sound like a 567B prime mover found in (say) a GP9. :eek: :(

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Ellis, I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you're not out of pocket on the deal.

Brakie, I think these are valid points, and that you should send an email to BLI to tell them your concerns. It's possible they are growing too fast. Time will tell if they become the kind of rock solid, responsive kind of company like Life-Like, Atlas or Kato to name a few.

Val