BeezerV's N Layout

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site so here are some pics and details of my first N scale layout. I grew up running O scale but due to my small graduate student apartment I decided to try some N and I love it so far. I never really did any landscaping or modeling with the big trains so this is my first attempt.

1.jpg

Here is the overall layout. I went with Atlas Code 55 track cause I liked the looks but wish I hadn't. The engines bump over the turnouts and you have to put new wheels on every car you buy. What a pain!

2.jpg

Here is the overhead view. As you can see I have alot of ballasting to still do. I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

3.jpg

Here is the power supply and control box. I made the control box from scratch out of radio shack parts. (I'm very proud of it haha) The top left switch controls the turntable and the others control seven turnouts with tortoise switch machines. I hope to upgrade to DCC some day.

4.jpg

This is the roundhouse I made from the Atlas kit. I still have to add some of the detail parts such as lights and handrails.

5.jpg

Here is the rolling stock I have collected so far.

6.jpg

This is my Kato SD40-2 pulling Kato bethgon coalporters.

7.jpg

This is my only other engine. Its an Atlas GP-35 that I hardly ever use because it barely runs. I have been trying to figure out whats wrong with it forever.

8.jpg

This is just a shot I like of the SD40-2 coming out of the tunnel.

I'd love any comments or suggestions for improvement you have. Thanks for looking.

Beezer

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Thanks for the compliments. My next big thing is to upgrade to DCC. I am in the process of converting the two engines. I know the layout is small but I would love to be able to move the cars around the inside track while a long train runs on the mainline. After the engines are done I was thinking of getting the Digitrax Zephyr starter set.

I got serious about fixing the GP35 yesterday and took it completely apart. I inspected and cleaned every single piece of the train in hopes of finding the problem. Whatever the problem was my cleaning and reassembly must have fixed it cause the engine seems to be running like new again.

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Yeah there was a bad connection somewhere. The wheels were actually really dirty. Im thinkin the electricity may not have even been getting past them.

vilefileman

Dec 11, 2004
Dont

Dont count on atlas replacing it. I called them becuase my brand new engine , the gears just spun, and they gave me this whole japan/china ,cant get parts , got ship back to us, for like $50. I almost lost it. i know bachmann is an inferior product at times, but they have NEVER let me down ($10 or free, and usually a brand new engine)

Rick

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Update and new pictures.

Here are some updated pictures of my layout. I finished up the ballast but some of it could use some repair. I added a group of building which I made from a kit and a coal building which I was given. The ballast needs to be trimmed so the building fits over the track and I plan to paint the building. My collection of cars has grown quite a bit and I added some new engines from Christmas. The new trees give a nice place for the deer to live.

Here is the whole layout now on horses I got for it.
9.jpg

This a good view of the new buildings.
10.jpg

Here's the roundhouse with all the engines. I got two cheap bachmans that run like crap but are nice to look at.
11.jpg

This is my new Atlas New England Central GP38. I can hear the line from my CT apartment and was amazed Atlas actually made a NECR engine.
12.jpg

Here's the local coal and oil industry.
13.jpg

I hope you like the update. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Nice work! I see that much of what you've started with is of very high quality, and I like what you've done with it.

You mentioned having to change the wheels... most if not all of the Micro-Trains cars in the photos should have come with the extra low profile wheels that you needed to change to, is that right? I don't know about the Coalporters, though.

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
YmeBP: I designed the layout with the right track program using code 55 track. It took awhile but I was able to make it work with all sectional pieces.

umtrr: The newer mtl cars came with low profile wheels but the older ones did not and some of the atlas and athearn cars had to be changed too. Even my two atlas engines bump when they go over the code 55 switches. If I could do it over I would use different track. I really do like the look of the brown ties and low rails though.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
beezerv said:
Even my two atlas engines bump when they go over the code 55 switches. If I could do it over I would use different track. I really do like the look of the brown ties and low rails though.
Hopefully you don´t have to do it all over and someday you will be satisfied with the fact that you have code 55. It do looks "right" and hopefully you have enough locos with the right wheels for the code so you can let the bumper-locos rest at the locoshed :)

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad someone else liked my control box. I had alot of fun making it. As for the track, no I'm not gonna ever redo it with different track but it is something I'll consider when I go bigger some day.

Meiriogwril: Please do not post to my thread simply to criticize someone elses beliefs. Let's try to keep it related to trains.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi folks,

You know, the community of model railroaders is a large and diverse one. We come from all types of backgrounds and have widely varied religious, social, and plitical opinions. One of the nice things about a forum like The Gauge is that despite all those differences we can enjoy talking together about the one thing we do have in common, our appreciation of railroading.

We at The Gauge permit members to express their individuality with avatars and signatures that may include quotes or images that convey ideas different from our own. This is a way of letting us know a little more about you. We ask that members respect each other's individuality and focus more on what we have in common and share about the hobby.

Go forth and have fun!
Ralph

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Ralph said:
Hi folks,
One of the nice things about a forum like The Gauge is that despite all those differences we can enjoy talking together about the one thing we do have in common, our appreciation of railroading.
That surely is one of the things that makes a forum like this so important. So let us all keep the focus on the things that we have in common, the love for model railroading :)