Battlestar Galactica models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc_harvey

Mar 14, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
virb.com
I'm about three fourths of the way done with the Viper model from LHVCC's site, but I'm left with an empty and hollow feeling inside...this poor, lone VIper needs a Battlestar to go with it! Are there any model designers here at cardmodels.net who have plans to draw up a Battlestar or the new versions of the Viper and Raptor?

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
On Jan Rukr's site The guy that does the Aliens models, there is a bonus model of some starship. This thing looks exceptionally close to the Galactica, and if I remember right has a Czech name similar to it. The site is neat, has a bunch of great models, pay attention to the download instructions, they have the password you will need to open the files

Stormeagle

Jul 8, 2004
Greece
These seem to be a first trial for a model. If they are 3d files, they can be textured and unfolded into a papermodel. The model seems doable enough (not many faces) and can be handled by Pepacura.

Do you happen to have the 3d files or just these photos?
Best Regards.

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Hello Stormeagle,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and tell ya we are all glad you found us. We hope to see more of you now that you are here. If you have any questions be sure to ask, with over 1900 members someone can probably help ya out.
Again, welcome,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Hello Stormeagle,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and tell ya we are all glad you found us. We hope to see more of you now that you are here. If you have any questions be sure to ask, with over 1900 members someone can probably help ya out.
Again, welcome,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA

murphyaa

Designer
Jul 8, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
I do have plans to design the Battlestar Galactica in the future. Currently I'm working on a diorama of the launch bay using vipers about 1/4 the size of the current model, and much simpler.

murphyaa

Designer
Jul 8, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
I do have plans to design the Battlestar Galactica in the future. Currently I'm working on a diorama of the launch bay using vipers about 1/4 the size of the current model, and much simpler.

angevine

Sep 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Will this help?

Galactica.jpg

Would love to see the hanger model when finished.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Hi doc_harvey Still interested in a Battle Star Model? I came across this thread while doing a spot of BSG research, which also yielded a workable Galactica mesh. I guess like most of us, hobby time is in short supply and I have the unfortunate habit of developing a lot models concurrently (bit of a jack rabbit), so my subjects tend to jump the que as reference material and time permits. In retrospect the Galactica is a perfect subject for a card model, I'm surprised there's not several already developed.

Anyway to the crunch, as I said "Time is the fire..... " One of the other members has it slated as well but if that turns to worms, I can dev the model if you'd be willing to write/photo/compile the assembly instructions, and get it out there? It'd be a slow project from my end, but its better than nothing, I just have to finish a current project.

Sitrep

First hurdle, the mesh I have although suitable for development requires a bit of errr.... hammering!
This is not the best of caps, but here's the mesh and the parts that are of concern, In reference to some net pix the LB arms look slightly out of scale from the front elevationon? Any chance of posting some cannon schematics?
galactica.gif

Just out of interest what size did you have in mind, also just realised the perennial problem, I dev in A4 which creates some problems for the 'Letter' guys that have to rescale etc... Actually while I'm on the bike, the two different paper sizes has made life difficult for me before, can anyone tell me if there's a silver bullet solution / rule of thumb for A4 developers?

S

shrike

Silver Bullet Solution:

Leave an extra centimeter margin at the bottom (portrait) of the page. Letter is 279.4 mm in the long dimension - minus whatever printer margins are required.
Letter guys should subtract a 1/4 inch from width (portrait again) as A4 is 8.29 inches wide

doc_harvey

Mar 14, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
virb.com
Great mesh! I tried working with meshes myself, but have neither the computer skills to do it, nor the money for the software. But I am really looking forward to seeing your results!

doc_harvey

Mar 14, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
virb.com
meshes for non-designers....

Those meshes are all great. I had about 15 meshes and schematics downloaded onto my computer, and using Programs like, Rhino, Blender...and, well...whatever else I downloaded for free...tried to make a model that I could open in Pepakura (the only un-folding program that i know of). But, alas, I have ZERO skills in 3D modelling, and found out that I am better suited to just building, and not trying to design. I did have a very large outpouring of help (especially from Greg) but I still wasn't able to pull it off. All those "polygons" and "Booleans" and well...whatever else they through at me was WAY to musch for my feeble grey matter. Lizzie even suggested just trying to "freehand" the model parts, but again...lack of essential drawing skill prevents me from pursuing that path any further. I have a very profound respect for all of those people out there who can develope their own models!
(especially Aaron Murphy) Yer my heroes!

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Thanks for the paper tip Shrike, 1cm it is. thanks stev0 the links are great, just what I needed, I can see there are a few minor adjustments to be done.

I guess making it in modules will be easiest for all to build, I hate splitting linear sections over two pages, unless its absolutely unavoidable, so the Launch bays will be the limiting size (minus borders - 1cm for A4 etc) so that'll work out to roughly ? 25/28cm 10'' inches which will make the model somewhere around 50cm 28" inches? at this stage anyway. Hopelessly out of scale for the other BSG models out there but it'll be OK for forced perspective.

The Basestar looks like a worthy subject as well? from the reference stuff I have it looks just like repeated sections, just have to dev one section and duplicate? Oh well another one for the list..

Factoring in the time for test builds, anyone like individual modules posted, or just the finished goods? apart from that its under way.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
I'll test build

If you want to post individual parts I'll help with test building. I also have plastic model kits of the original Galactica ships (Viper, Raider, Galactica, Base Star) still in storage somewhere. One of these days I might get around to building them, but in the meantime maybe they'll be usefull references?

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Thanks Steve, as it stands I have two meshes in the mix, the one I'm dev'ing is the lesser in quality (still requires some rework for semi accuracy ) the other is a highly detailed mesh that would make a killer model, though I doubt many modellers would even attempt it... pity... maybe down the road for version 2. I'm still prep'ing and trying to blend some of the better aspects of the detailed mesh for a balance of looks and ease of building etc. Its going to be a pretty slow project, looking at a few weeks before the first module is ready so a helping hand would be welcome, especially if you can compare to the kits!

TIE fighter eh!... paperstarships is a great site, It all started there for me, good range of model complexity on offer. I think the URL to E's site has change to http://paperstarships.tengun.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.