Battlestar Galactica models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc_harvey

There are supposedly (at least) 12 Battlestars....one for each colony...some of the names are:

Galactica , Atlantia (not Atlantis....sorry), Pacifica, Rycon, Acropolis, Triton, Columbia, Pegasus, Cerebrus, Bellephron and Prometheus.....there are other names listed in fan fiction, etc....I'm still working out which home-world each Battlestar belongs to (BIG time battlestar geek with too much time on my hands)...the Galactica was Caprica's ship....still loving my rebuild...taking my time and using balsa to support the larger surfaces...she's gonna be a beaut!

doc_harvey

Here's what I got from a Google search...

Tour the Combat Information Center of the Battlestar Galactica
The battlestars are the pride and joy of the Colonial Fleet. They were developed to defend the Colonies following the devastating Cylon revolt that left millions dead. The first five battlestars commissioned by the Colonial fleet were the Columbia, Rycon, Atlantia, Pegasus, and Galactica. The seven battlestars Pacifica, Triton, Acropolis, Solaria, Promotheus, Argo and Poseidon were built during the Cylon War giving the total Colonial Fleet twelve battlestars with one representing each Colony. The battlestars played a key role in defeating their former andriod slaves, the Cylons.

Following the defeat of the Cylons, the Colonial Fleet built a new second generation battlestar with the Galactica being the first of to be refitted to be similar to the new generation battlestars. Over the next forty years the Colonial Fleet would mushroom to one hundred twenty battlestars. The Galactica was scheduled to be decommissioned while the Colonial Fleet seemed invincible on the eve of the Cylon attack.

Gearz

Woooooooow 120! ... Now that would be one impressive fleet. Interesting bit of info Doc, might include it with Ai's plus the 12 name plates thanks. Always like to have options on a model, even if only minor. The nameplate link above has a new N7 page with the extra name plates. ? Curious thought 'Promotheus' was with an 'E' ??... hope its right, the name plate has 'O' ... ? might be confusing the it with something from mythology..

Btw.. had a quick look at my collection of Basestar meshes... interesting.. looks to be a series of repeating quadrants, mirrored top to bottom? (Plus spine) The upshot being you'd only have to Dev one of the quad's, and the builders could duplicate it err.... 7 times to have a pretty impressive model = Dev time devoted to detail. Not as popular as the Galactica, but it'd be great for forced perspective, for all those Cylon Raider models out there. Recon its worth the effort?... maybe I'm asking the wrong guy! :wink:

doc_harvey

Are ya kiddin?!?!?! Anything even remotely associatedwith the series would be great.....andI thonk you're right about the new Cylon Basestar....just a bunchacones, I guess....but would look really cool next a Battlestar!

Stev0

aug0700021nz.jpg

:twisted:

Silhouette

Does anyone have Galactica/Viper meshes from the new series they'd be willing to lend out? (Usable in either 3dsmax or Blender)

I'm trying my hand at some animation and it would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Gearz,

Anything more happenin' to your Galactica model? Can't wait see the finished thing, just Love this ship!!

Sincerely

Modelnutz7

Gearz

Hi Modelnutz7 .. Yep The Galactica is a fine vessel!. I'd be happy to crew her.

The plot so far ~ A few members are test building the beta V1 for me. That should iron out any major flaws in the basic patterns.. Concurrently, I'm Dev'ing some workable engine module ducting, hull detail and internal bracing. The next version/refinement will be to the individual modules (can't help myself). The original mesh was a bit dodgy here and there = not happy with the bridge modules shape for one. Apart from that it will be several... weeks? before the testing is done, and a few more to texture it and compile the A/guide ( don't get much hobby time). I'll probably post a link to the finished goods here until I find a permanent home for it.

I've posted this on another forum (no takers so far) your welcome to lend a hand with the test builds if you like, any suggestions welcome.

Anyone reasonably familiar with the original Galactica's design, want to help test build it?. There's a few other guys helping test build V1, but I'd like this new version of the bridge tested. ~ trying to work around a 'last flap' problem. There's 3 pages and a small Ai pic for the last parts (Step 7) = two 'recesses' in the side of the hull.

http://home.kooee.com.au/bfc77/GalBetaV2Bridge.zip

Assuming someone builds it and inserts those parts last of all.... What I'd like to know is ~

1. Were the two holes big enough to get your fingers inside the hull = aid closing the hull up.

2. Were the internal braces of any use in retaining the 'trench' shape of the underside hull? or maybe not needed. ~ Tricky to find out unless I get two or more offers, and its built with and without them...

3. Which bit/part did you find the hardest.

Any other suggestions comments welcome.

doc_harvey

Wow...how did I miss out on this post?....This'll be my third build! The second one is going together very well....stiffened up all the "wonky" parts with balsa wood....so far all the seams are straight, tight and very strong.....nowarping or bending at all...just have to cut out, strengthen and build the landing bays...I'll definitely send a pic of build # 2...can't wait to start the new bridge section....the newer insertes look cool...thanks again for your continued work on this, Gearz.....yer my new hero!

SteveM

doc_harvey said:
Are ya kiddin?!?!?! Anything even remotely associatedwith the series would be great.....andI thonk you're right about the new Cylon Basestar....just a bunchacones, I guess....but would look really cool next a Battlestar!

Even this? :D

Attachments

• adama1.jpg
    adama1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 776

Gearz

hey Doc.. don't get to crazy building the beta files ( unless you are just using it as a base for a scratch model) the final version will be a lot better and there will be quite a few changes from V1. Not to mention a slightly different scale ~ as big as the LB's can be printed in one piece!

sjsquirrel

Teaser - beta in prog

Here's a pic of beta 1 in progress. I should finish the rear section tomorrow and the landing bays the next day. I'll post pics of the completed build when it's done. It's looking great so far. I'm amazed at how well the tabs work for building this one. I usually cut them off and use joining strips, but for the beta I didn't bother and have been pleasently surprised.

Gearz, when I finish the first build I'll build the beta 2 of the bridge section also. I thought it needed reinforcement too so I'd like to see what you've done with it. I'm also glad you're making it a bit bigger. I agree with DOC that the size is pretty good but a bit bigger would be perfect for me.

Question - the engine inserts (the smaller parts that get glued inside don't seem to fit in my build - they're too small for the opening. Maybe I missed something?

BSGBeta10-sm.jpg

doc_harvey

engine inserts

I noticed that the inserts were just a smidge too small, also....maybe tabs would help vs just gluing them as butt joints?

doc_harvey

more Beta Build pics

how's she look?

Attachments

• DSCN0204.JPG
    DSCN0204.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0207.JPG
    DSCN0207.JPG