Bachmann FT A& B

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I have one of the rare earlier pancake motor version, and I'm relativaly impressed with the level of detail on the shell, espically for a bachmann, with a bit of cosmetic changes (like the addition of see-though grates, and seperate handrails) It has the potental to be a VERY nice loco, ESPICALLY for the ($35 @ Trainworld.com) DCC equipped ones, which would be the way to go, considering you want to MU them together. I have also heard they pull well, and geez, now I want one! :rolleyes:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have some non-dcc Bachmann Plus f-7 units. Both a & b units are powered. They are very good runners with 8 wheel drive and construction similar to n-scale locomotives with the motor sandwiched between two halves of a large frame, the frame halves insulated from each other. The drive is similar to the Athearn drive with flywheels and shafts to gear boxes in the trucks. I think the design of the ft's will be very similar to the older f-7 units that I have. I wouldn't hesitate to get some, if I didn't already have a set of $$$ Stewarts that I bought when they first came out before Bachmann had the ft units in production.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The Stewart FT has better detail, and better running characteristics, but, in the A B set, only the A is powered, and they are pricy. Bachmann sells the B as a separate so it is safe to assume that it is powered. I've only seen the F7, and it runs as well as the basic Athearn*, with about the same level of detail.

* I still consider Athearn the "best bang for the buck", an excellent "mid-range" product, and a great starter product. Not as much detail as their genesis line, and better running than most Trainset locos.
Pete

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
How is the pulling power of that Bachmann compared to the Athearn Super Weight F7? I'm thinking of adding some more F units and I'm considering the Bachs too.

The Super Weight F7 pulls like crazy though, what with that yoooge hunk of heavy metal under the shell! I've gotten a 25-car train moving on just that one Super Weight F7 alone.