Bachmann FT A& B

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by alexander, Nov 18, 2006.

1. alexander

alexander Member

What are the general quality of these locos?

I'm aware of the detail, and the fact there 8 wheel drive, w/o flywheels, are the B's powered? For someone wanting a small layout road power, how are they?

I dont want any bachmann bashing either, just facts
  2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I have one of the rare earlier pancake motor version, and I'm relativaly impressed with the level of detail on the shell, espically for a bachmann, with a bit of cosmetic changes (like the addition of see-though grates, and seperate handrails) It has the potental to be a VERY nice loco, ESPICALLY for the ($35 @ Trainworld.com) DCC equipped ones, which would be the way to go, considering you want to MU them together. I have also heard they pull well, and geez, now I want one! :rolleyes:
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I have some non-dcc Bachmann Plus f-7 units. Both a & b units are powered. They are very good runners with 8 wheel drive and construction similar to n-scale locomotives with the motor sandwiched between two halves of a large frame, the frame halves insulated from each other. The drive is similar to the Athearn drive with flywheels and shafts to gear boxes in the trucks. I think the design of the ft's will be very similar to the older f-7 units that I have. I wouldn't hesitate to get some, if I didn't already have a set of $$$ Stewarts that I bought when they first came out before Bachmann had the ft units in production.
  4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The Stewart FT has better detail, and better running characteristics, but, in the A B set, only the A is powered, and they are pricy. Bachmann sells the B as a separate so it is safe to assume that it is powered. I've only seen the F7, and it runs as well as the basic Athearn*, with about the same level of detail.

* I still consider Athearn the "best bang for the buck", an excellent "mid-range" product, and a great starter product. Not as much detail as their genesis line, and better running than most Trainset locos.
    Pete
  5. alexander

alexander Member

ok thanks

I'm thinking of getting a pair, and using them to model the few that BN rostered for a few months after the merger. (ie, decripeit, heavially weathered)

Alex
  6. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

How is the pulling power of that Bachmann compared to the Athearn Super Weight F7? I'm thinking of adding some more F units and I'm considering the Bachs too.

The Super Weight F7 pulls like crazy though, what with that yoooge hunk of heavy metal under the shell! I've gotten a 25-car train moving on just that one Super Weight F7 alone.