All sorts of Bridges

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Matt,

That's cool! Oh yeah that famous picture of that locomotive, not to mention that house with the tree in it. It was a natural disaster because men were too arrogant back then and thought they could control mother nature. The result of that arrogance lead to the 2,209 lives that were lost.

Now there's a concrete face on the Old Stone Bridge, I bet if they removed that concrete they would see that the face of the bridge was burnt. However if you look under the bridge you can still see the burn marks left by the 3 day fire.

Here's a few more pictures of the aftermath.

Attachments

• johnstown flood of 1889.jpg
    johnstown flood of 1889.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 199

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Here's a picture of the Johnstown Inclined Plane, it's noted as "The worlds steepest inclined plane in the world."

Attachments

• johnstown inclined plane.jpg
    johnstown inclined plane.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 192

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Penn--thanks for the memories! Wonderful place to live, and the people there; well I can't say enough about them. Best darn work ethic I ever came across, though my employment in J-town had some major issues and that is why I'm "back east" now. Used to drive past that spot in E. Conemaugh every day to work and almost every day I'de have thoughts of the flood and how devastating it really was. (also got a speeding ticket there!:mad: ). I also lived in Johnstown's West-end and from there drove past that old railroad bridge every day up to the Galleria Mall. I'de marvel about how in the world that thing ever withstood the wall of debris that crashed into it that day. The PRR certaintly built things to last!!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
No problem Mike! Yup, it's a wonderful place to live but if your looking for a job forget it. LOL No sooner do new jobs come in the sooner they go out of town. What we need is our steel mills & coal mines back. They've opened a few mines since I came back from Baltimore, MD in April 2001 (lived in Baltimore for 6 1/2 yrs.) . I know the West End, I grew up there and in Kernville, now I'm living in Hornerstown on the corner of Ash & Cedar Streets. The Galleria Mall's still here although their going to tear down the old Richland Mall to put in a Super Wal-Mart. Yup, those engineers that built that Old Stone Bridge certainly knew how to build them right and make them strong. I go down to the Point Park every now & then, I can imagine what it looked like in 1889 with all that rubble & debris behind it.

There's alot of good & bad memories here in Johnstown. Oh yeah, if you or anyone comes to Johnstown make sure you go North towards Cassandra. They have a train spot there so you can look at the trains going by or you can stand on an old automobile bridge and feel the exhaust & rumble when the loco passes. Quite an expierence!

http://hometown.aol.com/flycassandra1/myhomepage/business.html

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
I've seen that bridge in Feburary when my uncle went to that convention center in Harrisburg. That bridge is HUGE compared to some other bridges.

If you want to look at the scenery and railroad bridges Pennsylvania is the perfect place for that. ;)

Thanks for sharing the link Matt!

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Yeah Chris, longest STONE ARCH rr bridge....I believe it's in the Guinness Book . (at least it used to be several years ago.) It also happens to lead to the Enola yards which, I am told, are the longest (not largest) yards in the U.S.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Crossing the Mighty Mississippi

Here it is folks the northern-most crossing of the Mississippi River.
Location; Bemidji, MN, Date; July 1992

Attachments

• firstcrossing.jpg
    firstcrossing.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 204

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
The attached photo is of the Jing Peng Pass Bridge located it China, Don't remember where I got the photo from, but it's a nice looking bridge.

Attachments

• china_jing_peng_pass_qj6xxx_qjyyy_curved_bridge_from_teds_tump02_27-02-01.jpg
    china_jing_peng_pass_qj6xxx_qjyyy_curved_bridge_from_teds_tump02_27-02-01.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 247