2001 Orion by Pilsworth (quick build)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
im glad to see it wasnt just me having some, er, 'clarification' issues with the instructions lol, that said, youre doing a fine job, looks great :toast:
You're not wrong there at all... Whilst I have complete awe at someone manging to produce and design a model, why on earth can't they produce some decent enough instructions!

...and just by dry-fitting the engine pod just now, I think there could be a reason why there's no picture of the rear on the instructions!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: mijob and seraphim

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
You're not wrong there at all... Whilst I have complete awe at someone manging to produce and design a model, why on earth can't they produce some decent enough instructions!

...and just by dry-fitting the engine pod just now, I think there could be a reason why there's no picture of the rear on the instructions!
well im hot on your heels - seeing your build got me cracking on mine and i think im not far behind you now. ill get some pics and put them up tommorow when the glue is dry lol

Reactions: Chuffy70

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Closing an object is always the trickiest part because you don't have much to apply pressure to without warping or creasing something. This is coming together nicely though. :)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Closing an object is always the trickiest part because you don't have much to apply pressure to without warping or creasing something. This is coming together nicely though. :)
I quite agree, dry fitting of parts multiple times is crucial to get a good looking model... I have many a time to head a dreaded 'pop!' as some part of the model decides to give way!

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Here we go. now on the home straight of this quick build...

The top fuselage now attached to the wings, its time to finish the rear and tail sections.

20240125_141506.jpg

Rear belly now attaches nicely to the tail section.
20240125_141509.jpg

The little fillets which attach to cover the gap between the alerion and the main body have too much mounting material in my opinion, so the access was cut away
20240125_142349.jpg

Not too bad fit wise in the end...

20240125_144622.jpg20240125_144638.jpg

Actuators? Possibly what these are called, were just doubled up and cut out.

20240125_144723.jpg

No placement mentioned on the instructions, so reference was needed.

Web capture_25-1-2024_15212_www.bing.com.jpg

Fitted, but they only cover the top surface and look oversized...

20240125_151619.jpg20240125_151649.jpg

Final assembly concerns the engine section, there are no pictures or instruction as how to assemble this, so once again pictorial reference was sought.

20240125_151709.jpg

Looking a bit like a cuttlefish, the design at the back is beautiful

Web capture_25-1-2024_155321_www.bing.com.jpg

Three pieces form the fairing, this was fairly easy to figure out - the remaining bulk head, inserted easily, red jets to go behind the exhaust openings... which left the beak/exhaust tubes which proved a complete nightmare!

20240125_161417.jpg

However many times I wrestled this bit one way or the other, I just couldn't' get it to bend correctly

20240125_205952.jpg

CAUTION EPLICIT PICTURES OF A HIDIOUSLY DEFORMED MODEL WILL FOLLOW

VIEW AT YOUR DISCRETION

Well, the outcome was truly awful!
One side nearly made it, but the other went completely tits-up!

20240125_210019.jpg

A least the bulkhead went in okay...

20240125_211411.jpg

"excuse me sir you've just pranged your spaceship!"

20240126_115904.jpg

Unfortunately I had no ink left to print out another and have a second attempt at this piece, and I wasn't about to go to my local printers and get another sheet done, this model just isn't worth it!
The back part fitted fairly well, but the pointy end didn't want to play at all!
A bit disappointed, but entirely surprised with the fitment and wanting to see the part on the ship I just let it sit 'as is'

20240126_115913.jpg

The stand was easy to construct and well thought out, even had lines to denote where parts needed to be fitted!!! "shocker!"

20240126_111750.jpg

There should be two pointy antennas/doo-dahs at the extreme end of the ship... but at this point, I really couldn't be arsed to add them!
There was not even a spot or any guide for them to be added - just "cut two holes in the tail" mentioned on the sheet.

20240126_120013.jpg
20240126_120051.jpg

To sum up the build of Gary Pilsworth model... I'd say it looks the part... If you want a example of the Clipper in your spaceship collection then have a go, but the effort it takes to build it - is probably not worth it.

Its sad to say, but the lack of basic numbering of parts gives the builder no where to look, even the instructions on the sheet were poorly laid out.

Thankfully the internet is awash with good reference if you are modelling something unfamiliar or is just not clear on the assembly diagrams.

I can't really recommend this as a build, but is a handy build-up for reference should you want to attempt the UHU version, which at some point I will definitely will do...

As an aide to fellow builder @seraphim I'm sorry to give you a poor result, but hopefully some kind of idea as to how this particular model goes together, just a pity I couldn't get that engine on!

THANK YOU FOR WATCHING AND COMMENTING, ALL VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
A great build series! I can still remember the first time I was allowed to stay up late enough to watch 2001, and the Clipper was so awesome.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
All things considered, you did a great job on this project! Even with all of the mishaps and changes that you had to deal with, the fact that you tried your hand at building is encouragement to those who are thinking of doing the same but had not yet.
Thank you for taking the time to build this model and sharing your experience with us!

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
Here we go. now on the home straight of this quick build...

The top fuselage now attached to the wings, its time to finish the rear and tail sections.

View attachment 216398

Rear belly now attaches nicely to the tail section.
View attachment 216399

The little fillets which attach to cover the gap between the alerion and the main body have too much mounting material in my opinion, so the access was cut away.
View attachment 216400

Not too bad fit wise in the end...
View attachment 216401View attachment 216402

Actuators? Possibly what these are called, were just doubled up and cut out.
View attachment 216403

No placement mentioned on the instructions, so reference was needed.
View attachment 216406

Fitted, but they only cover the top surface and look oversized...
View attachment 216404View attachment 216405

Final assembly concerns the engine section, there are no pictures or instruction as how to assemble this, so once again pictorial reference was sought.
View attachment 216407

Looking a bit like a cuttlefish, the design at the back is beautiful
View attachment 216408

Three pieces form the fairing, this was fairly easy to figure out - the remaining bulk head, inserted easily, red jets to go behind the exhaust openings... which left the beak/exhaust tubes which proved a complete nightmare!
View attachment 216409

However many times I wrestled this bit one way or the other, I just couldn't' get it to bend correctly
View attachment 216410

CAUTION EPLICIT PICTURES OF A HIDIOUSLY DEFORMED MODEL WILL FOLLOW

VIEW AT YOUR DISCRETION

Well, the outcome was truly awful!
One side nearly made it, but the other went completely tits-up!

View attachment 216411

A least the bulkhead went in okay...
View attachment 216412

"excuse me sir you've just pranged your spaceship!"
View attachment 216413

Unfortunately I had no ink left to print out another and have a second attempt at this piece, and I wasn't about to go to my local printers and get another sheet done, this model just isn't worth it!
The back part fitted fairly well, but the pointy end didn't want to play at all!
A bit disappointed, but entirely surprised with the fitment and wanting to see the part on the ship I just let it sit 'as is'

View attachment 216414

The stand was easy to construct and well thought out, even had lines to denote where parts needed to be fitted!!! "shocker!"
View attachment 216415

There should be two pointy antennas/doo-dahs at the extreme end of the ship... but at this point, I really couldn't be arsed to add them!
There was not even a spot or any guide for them to be added - just "cut two holes in the tail" mentioned on the sheet.

View attachment 216416
View attachment 216418

To sum up the build of Gary Pilsworth model... I'd say it looks the part... If you want a example of the Clipper in your spaceship collection then have a go, but the effort it takes to build it - is probably not worth it.

Its sad to say, but the lack of basic numbering of parts gives the builder no where to look, even the instructions on the sheet were poorly laid out.

Thankfully the internet is awash with good reference if you are modelling something unfamiliar or is just not clear on the assembly diagrams.

I can't really recommend this as a build, but is a handy build-up for reference should you want to attempt the UHU version, which at some point I will definitely will do...

As an aide to fellow builder @seraphim I'm sorry to give you a poor result, but hopefully some kind of idea as to how this particular model goes together, just a pity I couldn't get that engine on!

THANK YOU FOR WATCHING AND COMMENTING, ALL VERY MUCH APPRECIATED
Thankyou for doing your great build guide matey it came out great, despite the poor instructions. I very quickly was able to follow your build, as you say, a basic kit that does the job. I agree the engine section probably needs reworking - I could not fathom how to get the inserts right without having them look awful, so i went b a s i c - the whole engine part fits after a fashion if you fight with it although the two tabs at the very pointy end (of the tail end part) just dont work, so i had to leave them down to help stabilise the whole placement. The two paper sikes that you are supposed to stick on the tail 'by poking a hole in the end' ive instead decided to use 2 cocktail sticks glued together, then paint white. The model will be mounted on a wall display which ill post once its done. Thankyou again @Chuffy70 for the great build and guide. Heres mine so far:
20240125_212523.jpg20240125_202501.jpg20240126_164211.jpg20240126_164225.jpg20240126_164250.jpg20240126_164326.jpg

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Thankyou for doing your great build guide matey it came out great, despite the poor instructions. I very quickly was able to follow your build, as you say, a basic kit that does the job. I agree the engine section probably needs reworking - I could not fathom how to get the inserts right without having them look awful, so i went b a s i c - the whole engine part fits after a fashion if you fight with it although the two tabs at the very pointy end (of the tail end part) just dont work, so i had to leave them down to help stabilise the whole placement. The two paper sikes that you are supposed to stick on the tail 'by poking a hole in the end' ive instead decided to use 2 cocktail sticks glued together, then paint white. The model will be mounted on a wall display which ill post once its done. Thankyou again @Chuffy70 for the great build and guide. Heres mine so far:
View attachment 216438View attachment 216439View attachment 216440View attachment 216441View attachment 216442View attachment 216443
A quality effort buddy, looks great, and your engines look brilliant, simplified brilliance! "what's the next challenge!" ha-ha!

• Love

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
A quality effort buddy, looks great, and your engines look brilliant, simplified brilliance! "what's the next challenge!" ha-ha!
cheers fella lol, as for whats next, not too sure atm, got a few things on the go at the moment - one being trying to get a variant tie fighter designed a mocked up lol. Ill probably go for one of the liners from Battlestar Galactica next, we shall see lol whats next for you? :toast:

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
A great build series! I can still remember the first time I was allowed to stay up late enough to watch 2001, and the Clipper was so awesome.
Cheers, yes a quick one of the bat so to speak, was fun, but frustrating - I was taken to see it at the cinema, but as a youngster it was too much for me to take in. Now years later I appreciate it for the wonderous production that it is
I have to say you did a great job on this model its a shame that the engine part is so bad. Thank you for your effort.
Just one of those things, its a very dark art making paper models sometimes... ta muchly
All things considered, you did a great job on this project! Even with all of the mishaps and changes that you had to deal with, the fact that you tried your hand at building is encouragement to those who are thinking of doing the same but had not yet.
Thank you for taking the time to build this model and sharing your experience with us!
Well its there warts and all, which I think is better sometimes, so that others may learn... and thanks for the praise

Reactions: mijob

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
cheers fella lol, as for whats next, not too sure atm, got a few things on the go at the moment - one being trying to get a variant tie fighter designed a mocked up lol. Ill probably go for one of the liners from Battlestar Galactica next, we shall see lol whats next for you? :toast:
Well good luck on all those - I did a nose cone of the Galactica a few months back to test the printer which was acting up, you should be able to get a decent model from the resources.

The Tie Fighter project sounds good, I wish you well on that front.

Me, I shall go back to a long term project of finishing up my Y-Wing (you can see it in the background of the Orion Shots) stand by for updates to my build thread in the coming days - I also have Pilsworth's SHADO Mobiles to build, I'll do the three - a gift to my brother.

Lastly probably buy a firework and blow my Orion up!

• Haha

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
Well good luck on all those - I did a nose cone of the Galactica a few months back to test the printer which was acting up, you should be able to get a decent model from the resources.

The Tie Fighter project sounds good, I wish you well on that front.

Me, I shall go back to a long term project of finishing up my Y-Wing (you can see it in the background of the Orion Shots) stand by for updates to my build thread in the coming days - I also have Pilsworth's SHADO Mobiles to build, I'll do the three - a gift to my brother.

Lastly probably buy a firework and blow my Orion up!

JlR1nGA.jpg 'make this build easier Hal...' 'Im sorry Chuffy, i cant do that.....'

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The tabs on the end piece created an accrued intolerance. The model could easily be fixed with a razor, cutting off the tabs, dry fitting your own separately made tabs, and re-gluing the model. This is why I never use tabs that are connected to the part. They are not on the same plane, and will bite you in the end. This would be easy to fix, without printing anything new.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
  • Love
Reactions: seraphim