Zombie Hunter

Sudsy

My print and paint of Sculptor's Zombie Hunter

I printed it in ABS a few months back at 50% scale. It has sat so long, I'm giving any information based on memory along (take with a grain of salt...).

Layer height/resolution: 0.1mm
No supports required, brim used due to ABS (likes to shrink rapidly when cooling... several mis-prints helped me find the need for a brim on this one). If you print in PLA, no bring required.

20190928_165943.jpg20190928_165925.jpg20190928_165918.jpg20190928_165912.jpg20190928_165903.jpg

Painted with acrylics.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh boy, that title says it all! No doubt that the guy you are making is not to mess with. He could require some smoothing session though. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The painting is awesome, but you really need to sand these figures as the lines are such a detraction. 3D printers leave these lines for a multitude of reasons, too many to go into, but if you going to keep the base piece, a Dremel tool will make quick work of cleaning up the figure and you will end up with a superb piece. :)

Sudsy

The painting is awesome, but you really need to sand these figures as the lines are such a detraction. 3D printers leave these lines for a multitude of reasons, too many to go into, but if you going to keep the base piece, a Dremel tool will make quick work of cleaning up the figure and you will end up with a superb piece. :)

More than anything, this was a 'test' piece before I printed Spider man months later. Paint was more a target of opportunity... Since this was ABS, rather than sanding, a quick dip in a container of acetone would have been more effective. Hard part is NOT losing your part in the dip. Another method involves and old home kitchen deep fryer and using a sheet of PTFE as a base in the basket and evaporating the acetone with heat. Outside. Far from the house. Flash fire hazard. Yeah... Not something I was going to do this time around in my current home!

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Hmmm at .1mm layers it the lines shouldn't be that prominent...perhaps due to the fact it was ABS and lower layers shifted on the platen a bit as the next layer was laid down...it's possible...maybe speeding up the print might help...If I remember right you do have a heated bed? Maybe just a heat gun or hairdryer to keep the ABS up to temp might help...???

Sudsy

Hmmm at .1mm layers it the lines shouldn't be that prominent...perhaps due to the fact it was ABS and lower layers shifted on the platen a bit as the next layer was laid down...it's possible...maybe speeding up the print might help...If I remember right you do have a heated bed? Maybe just a heat gun or hairdryer to keep the ABS up to temp might help...???

Honestly, given how long ago it was, that .1 is a guess on layer height versus exact knowledge.

Layers delaminating happens further up on the models I've printed in ABS regardless of my heated bed, largely due to lack of a quality enclosure in my basement. This is that air factor. I've mitigated, but not eliminated it with an improvised enclosure for now.