Y-WING BUILD - Construction continues...

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Of course, now you are teaching you cat to play with your paper models...

:hammerhead:

I love the clever use of the blast insulation! Really makes the part look textured!!!!
Blast insulation, I like your terminology, and thank you for kind words.

Well @THE DC he was very good, pushed a few parts around, but never caused any chaos - Sadly he passed away in March and is sorely missed laying on the workbench 'helping'
His demise is documented in the 'off topic lounge' - search Hudson and you'll see why it took so long to get back into model making again.

DSC01051.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A very, very cool picture. I'm sorry for your loss but he will be part of this community forever. :)

Reactions: Chuffy70

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I am sorry for you loss. I too had a cat that would sit on the table and watch me work on my projects (and sometimes would lay across what ever project I was working, if I were not right there working on it).

Reactions: Chuffy70

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
A very, very cool picture. I'm sorry for your loss but he will be part of this community forever. :)
He always got the attention away from the models :)
I am sorry for you loss. I too had a cat that would sit on the table and watch me work on my projects (and sometimes would lay across what ever project I was working, if I were not right there working on it).
They really are little tinkers! :)
Its looking good cant wait untill you have finished it.
Cheers @mijob - she's really looking good, and I hardly ever praise my own work! ;) I might even keep this one

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Engines! every self respecting star ship needs engines, and the Y has two huuuugggeee ones!

Sheets - ENGINE CASE 1, 2 & 3 are required for the basic shape, with CASE PAGE 3 containing the internal supports

*NOTE THE RED AREA & THE LARGE RECTANGLE.

Obvious to some, but the red area will be to pass your wing through, or you could leave it and just mate with it on the surface.
I have chosen to cut mine out.
As my Wing will be sitting on its landing gear the larger of the rectangles will need to be cut out.

126.jpg

Internal formers cut and the recessed area cut away to house the landing gear bay.
127.jpg

The larger part creased and folded over, whilst the notched parts for the landing gear were single items mated together.

128.jpg

Excuse the photo here, but sheet ENGINE CASE PAGE 6 is required for the landing gear bays.

129.jpg

Gear bays with arrows and the optional cut outs on the engines.

130.jpg

Both cylinders prepped and ready to be curved.

130a.jpg

The biggest and most apt item I could find to wrap the engines around was a rolling pin 'borrowed from the kitchen'
I'll leave these on here for 24hrs and see what they look like afterwards.

131.jpg

Gear bays - nicely detailed, not that you'll see them!

132.jpg

Simple box construction with hole popped out for gear leg.

133.jpg

Before I mated the internal formers together, I drew a centre line across on all pieces, so when I slid them together I had a mate-line to get my pieces square.

134.jpg

A dry fit of the bays were made and the box did not fit between the cut out, around 0.5mm were taken from both sides and the tub fitted snuggly.

135.jpg
136.jpg

THAT'S ALL ON THIS ONE UNTIL NEXT WEEK - THANKS AS ALWAYS FOR TUNING IN, AND SEE YOU SOON

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Did you know that Joe Johnston used the Y-Wing as a base for the Snowspeeder?

MMM_SABEAN_JOHNSTON_CONCEPT_SNOWSPEEDER_033.jpg

MMM_SABEAN_JOHNSTON_CONCEPT_SNOWSPEEDER_032.jpg

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Everything looks so clean, clear and crisp.
Many thanks
Did you know that Joe Johnston used the Y-Wing as a base for the Snowspeeder?

MMM_SABEAN_JOHNSTON_CONCEPT_SNOWSPEEDER_033.jpg

MMM_SABEAN_JOHNSTON_CONCEPT_SNOWSPEEDER_032.jpg
I probably read that in my brothers The Art of The Empire Strikes Back in 1980/81 - As a 10/11 year old, but it would've been stored for mere minutes until I looked at the next cool thing.
I have a much better appreciation these days as to who did what, so thank you for jogging the old grey matter in this 52 year old brain of mine, Joe really had a stunner there!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is one really robustly built model! It will hold it's shape and not warp on you. One of the best I've seen. Superb job, and great build thread. ;)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
This is one really robustly built model! It will hold it's shape and not warp on you. One of the best I've seen. Superb job, and great build thread. ;)
Only time will tell, thank you - its the flimsy rails which go down to the vector rings will be the 'maker' of this one

Reactions: micahrogers

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
So sorry for your loss.

My late night "building partner" was also lost several years back. She liked to chew on my tweezers or sleep around my neck during builds.

I never got a pic of her during those timres, but have a clear mental picture...
Thank you, and yes they live long in the mind after they have passed... Gone but not forgotten

• Sad

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Only time will tell, thank you - its the flimsy rails which go down to the vector rings will be the 'maker' of this one
A clear coat in Gloss or Satin will solve the issue of moisture absorbing into the paper and causing it to warp. :)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
"we have main engine ignition"

Or a cock-up!

Yes dear followers, here's what 'NOT' to do when assembling your main engines, with a little bit of what you can do.

With a day or so wrapped around the rolling pin, the main casements were well curved enough to make assembly very easy.

138.jpg

With the landing gear bay just sitting in the support frame, I pushed one through to check fitment, hand and glove sprung to mind.
*NOTE FOR TEXT - THIS IS PICTURE 1

139.jpg

Note the grills/vents in the bay, they should face the front, with the hole for the strut at the back.
As I was very tired, which is never a good idea to model - I speculated as to which way round to fit the the internal support.
The Y has a tricycle undercarriage, and if any of you have modelled aircraft there's a tendency for the nose to lift if the weight is not distributed correctly.
Slightly bemused as to why the support didn't go all the way through, I flipped the bay and and put the support the other way round as seen in the Picture 3 - with the end of the support showing at the end in Picture 1.
*NOTE FOR TEXT THIS IS PICTURE 2

140.jpg

Support flipped, and bay orientated correctly, I thought with the mass towards the front of the engine, I can distribute more weight to the front, especially as there will be long rails and a end section hanging off the back.

Well, as I started to glue the bays, and the internals into the engine case, I realised my mistake!
Picture 2 is the correct orientation for the support, as this gives you a mating surface for the end cap. The tabs on the other end are for mating the other end cap.

All this confusion for me could have been avoided by getting a good nights sleep, or if the designer had omitted the tabs and made the support go all the way through...
*NOTE FOR TEXT - THIS IS PICTURE 3

141.jpg

With your head spinning from the over complicated information of the previous section, I had something of a mating issue.
The front-end I have all and then some to stick my caps to, but the other end, just the lip!

142.jpg

I thought if I just slightly undersized the discs, and layer them up I could then fit them internally.
143.jpg

A very snug fit was achieved, so I popped the disc in and slathered the edge with glue.
144.jpg

I don't have fingers quite as big as E.T's, so to get a flush fit I poked a ruler down the casement and pushed the end flush.
145.jpg

Lovely!
146.jpg

Obviously the front ends went on a lot smoother than the other end, with a plethora of mating possibilities...
147.jpg

The next mistake, by cutting out the red segment for the wings to pass into the engine, you are left with very little to glue to, So before the ends went on, I slid some card behind the openings which allow me to mate the wings to the engines with a larger area.
Also at this time I added the the lager of the wrap bandings to the rear. These were pre-formed in the same way as the main casements.
148.jpg

Main construction finished on the two main engine casements, a job made longer by stupidity!

149.jpg

Roughly put together with the main wing spar.
150.jpg

HOPEFULLY YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT WENT WRONG WITH MY BUILD THERE, AND LEARNED FROM IT.

TUNE IN AGAIN SOON FOR MORE SCENANINGANS!

Last edited: