Y-WING BUILD - Construction continues...

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
This is an outstanding build thread!

You're not only showing us how its coming together, your alerting prospective builders to the kit issues and build challenges. Its more than a build thread; its a quality tutorial!

My compliments!
I'm very humbled by your compliments THE DC: just trying my best to say what I see and point out the mistakes I make.

As most of the kit is shades of greys, everything looks very similar, which makes it very easy to lose sight of fronts, backs and sides.

I take your reply with renewed vigor and a spur in the side to go forth, thank you! :bowdown:

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Fantastic work so far. That main structure looks strong.
Thanks, and indeed micahrogers, those internals are good, laminate them up for strength, I went double, but treble might have been better...this thing is almost Studio Scale! The internals for the main engines don' look much on the paper, so we'll have to see what comes of that.

Reactions: micahrogers

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Finishing up on the wing and gluing into the body was next on the list...

When the wing was pushed through the main body, there was sag where there was no support to hold the surface (red arrows) thus making an ugly gap on the top surface. It was on the bottom too, but not as bad - the blue lines was where I had added the internal wing braces, with hindsight, the wing needed more than five, and probably one right near the opening.
78.JPG

Popping the wing out, I thought of adding a strip to negate the gap.
79.JPG

Strip added to the internal surface.
80.JPG

Wing slotted back in, and the gap was closed - this will have a flood of glue or just painted in an aid to hide the repair. You'll note though, the two blank areas next to the gap fill, which will receive two surface add-ons later. Hopefully taking your eye away from the join.

The strip also strengthened the thin part of the hole, an added bonus.
83.JPG

For a break away from major construction, some surface parts were added to the corresponding 'blank sections' on the wing.

ADVISORY - add these 'AFTER' you insert the wing.
81.JPG

Top and bottoms strips for more wing details 'NOTE' the smaller lengths are for the bottom. ALWAYS dry-fit before gluing, as I managed to get one wrong! (yanked off very quickly!)

All together they 'look' very similar.
82.JPG

The main-plain looking good, but some slight sag on the surface areas, thus again a nod to adding more, rather than less internal supports - kind of reminds me of stressed skin on old aircraft (my excuse ;))
84.JPG

Bottom glued in, nice and snug.
85.JPG

Horizontals look perfect, with no droop - very happy with that!
86.JPG87.JPG

The front nose section was a few steps further ahead, all the glue tabs - which I took my time to glue only a couple a day, had made the whole front cockpit fully formed.
So with the back-plate sitting on the bench for ages, it was time to engage the two parts.

Here's the odd thing - on the parts sheet there's two of these parts, and I found out why - its for idiots like me!
The bottom part was the one I originally cut out, thinking the blank area was to be removed, "no stupid!" all the 'remove parts' on this are BOLD RED!

So to aid my stupidity, I put a note on the back-plate to stop me doing it again!
88.JPG

There is no view of the back area on the CGI plans for this build, thankfully I have a full resource of pics to help out.

As you can see, the part is recessed into the back of the cockpit.
89.jpg

I added some doubled up stock and added these into the corners, which will stop the plate from sinking in too far.
90.JPG

The plate fitted into the space with only minor adjustments. I doubled this plate up with thicker stock to add further strength and bear in mind, the white area is where the droid section glues to, that's 'TO' - 'NOT THROUGH!'

My memoir looking back at me 'think before you cut!'
91.JPG

Some hurdles jumped and cleared without too much fuss.

Next up I will be tackling the mess which was the greeble pit in front of the droid housing. New parts have been printed, ready to to do battle!

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I have to say that this is one of the many reasons why I love paper/cardstock model building. If you make a mistake or there is something wrong with the template as a whole, it is easier (and less expensive) to fix than any other medium.
You are doing a great job on this project!

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
I have to say that this is one of the many reasons why I love paper/cardstock model building. If you make a mistake or there is something wrong with the template as a whole, it is easier (and less expensive) to fix than any other medium.
You are doing a great job on this project!
You are correct there RB, so much easier...and this type of modelling has more flexibility with the end result too, Not quite a scale model, but a fine representation in the medium in which has been created.
Too many times I've stopped a plastic kit, thinking it is too hard to achieve a pleasing outcome - card models give the freedom to be 'what it is'

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
I like the way you overcome problems and the way you put humor in your build it makes this thread / tutorial fun to watvh.

cheers mate.
Thank you mijob: I try to please those who need to know, and those who are casually looking in... Glad the humor is making this fun to watch.

Plus it's always great to hear feedback, I love hearing fellow modellers comments and queries :)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Been on roll of late, so another update early, before I have to move my model making stuff off the table to do the 'yawn!' tax return!

Keen eyed viewers will remember the internal structure fiasco which sat behind the cockpit, humongous swear words and judicious chopping of a glued up part!

We return to the rebuild here, with only a tiny amount of verbal obscenities :skull

PIC -The said part in its chopped glory,
92a.JPG

Main structure was reprinted and straight away I made a mistake! Cue tiny amounts of swearing, followed by a trip to the kitchen for a drink!

As I'm now adapting the part to my own specs - the plans were in my head, and not jotted down - hence the mistake.
Part 1 - I cut the slots up, rather than Part 2 - slots up!
92.JPG

The middle spine was adapted to aid this part to slide in. I had already added the droid socket, so the required depth was cut off the back on this section (ORANGE ARROWS) to go under the socket.

The yellow arrows denote the required depth I needed and the red denotes an extra slot 'up' for another spine piece which will become clear later.
93.JPG

Spine rib piece, red arrows showing new cut depth and yellow arrows showing new slots 'down'
94.JPG

A third rib, outlined in blue, was made by copying the others - 'slots down'
95.JPG

Repair to the 'mistake' - I cut the part out, outlined in red, turned it over and just spliced two slabs either side. job done!
96.JPG

All main spines done, with the extra slots 'up'
97.JPG

Construction complete 'NOTE THE EXTRA RIB AT THE FRONT'
98.JPG
99.JPG

Test fit of the part which needed to be 'sunk'
100.JPG
101.JPG

Now as the pit was now on show, the inside needed some extra detail.

The parts which were mis-printed some weeks ago were added here - side walls and the front flap/wall needed 'extras'
102.JPG

Structure dry-fitted into place to check for errors or other such problems. Red X denotes this part of applique needs to be removed.
103.JPG

The third extra rib was added to help the frontal part from floating in mid-air. Easier to see in the next photo.
104.JPG

Dry run to see how the cockpit and mid-section look.
105.JPG

A relief to me that this part has nearly come to a close.

It was a frustration to begin with, but a learning curve in righting a wrong, and also led to some discarded parts being used after all.

The internal parts will need some edges touched up with paint before becoming entombed and I may add something 'extra' in there!

Sadly nothing nothing more until next week viewers, but thank you as always for watching.

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Dang, the rib structure looks like modern art. A much larger version could double as furniture inspired by M. C. Escher.

I'm amazed at your clean cuts. It's almost as if you were from another planet...

1661884661369.png

;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chuffy70 and mijob

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Dang, the rib structure looks like modern art. A much larger version could double as furniture inspired by M. C. Escher.

I'm amazed at your clean cuts. It's almost as if you were from another planet...

View attachment 206031

;)
That would be some distinct furniture, maybe some Charles Rennie Mackintosh in there too?

...and yes, my cuts are from another world...as I weald the scalpel of Nofolk'ia! "all hail the blade!"

(cheers, I like to be neat & precise)

• Haha
Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
1808090.jpg-r_654_368-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg

The scalpel of Nofolk'ia... My mother told me bedtime stories about it. Stories about unsung heroes, gleaming goddesses, strong ale, yaknow, those life and death things. It was said to be handled only by the most powerful warriors...

doug-marcaida-forged-in-fire.gif

It was also said to have magical powers... And that any offspring of it and Mjolnir could mean the end of every paper model in the universe..! Sometimes I believed it would hide under my bed... Ah well, fortunately these were just "stories". ;)

dogshaming-shredding2.jpg

:animated:

Last edited:

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Well we left off last time with the new internal structure constructed and test fitted, which meant some prep work was needed.

Suitable paints were opened and all cut and rough edges addressed with the wonder of pigment.
106.JPG

The test fit showed the floor was visible by looking down, so some paint was added by the hairy stick.
107.JPG

As this section was a major intersection between the cockpit and the rear section, there really was not much going on in this section.
You would expect all sorts of cables, pipes and wiring coming through here!
I hatched a plan to make it a bit more interesting, and less-like a box with no tricks!

Step one, bung a load of holes in the uprights...
108.JPG

My friend was throwing out some ceiling lights, which had some small wires covered with some nice braiding, I thought I'll have those they may come in handy - so yes they did!

Step two - I pulled off the braiding and inserted some wooden rod with a smattering of super glue on one end to stop any fraying.
109.JPG

Step three - splash some oily silver coloured paint on those rods shove em through the holes, and "hey presto!" it starts to look as if there's something going on!
110.JPG

With those three steps completed, the greeblie insert was added to the mix.
111.JPG

The top two rods on each side are the most visible, and when butted up against the front wall they don't really 'look' as if they go anywhere.

I cut some discs and punched out the middle, which created collars to add onto the ends.
112.JPG

Collars added to the ends with a lick of paint too...
113.JPG

With everything inserted I was very happy as to the end result. Red arrows showing, well to me, that they connected to something and the yellow arrows - showing how by putting in the extra rib allowed me to connect with the overhanging plating.

Those with a keen eye will notice the blank area, the greeblie for here will be added later.
114.JPG

Finally this section of body is complete at long last!

With this little bit of extra detail I really think it looks as if its 'doing something'
115.JPG

As to the old part, vengeance was mine! Cue the lump hammer and my mind & body were purged!
116.JPG
117.JPG

The demise of the old part was passed onto the supervisor for his inspection of total inhalation!
118.JPG

Hopefully with this 'problem part' out of the way I can now carry on with adding this neck part and the main body section together.

Next up should be some house keeping on a few parts which have been hanging around for a while, plus the main engines parts which connects to the wing spars have been printed - so we'll be looking at those, fingers crossed.

Stay on target people... see you soon.

Last edited:

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
I have seen from a few members renewed interest in a certain members Y-Wing, so whilst I'm having a break from other projects. I thought it best to carry on with my Y-Wing build,

I'm trying to catch up where I left off, but I think we are in the right ball-park, hopefully!

The front of the main body has this part attached to it, a fairly easy piece to construct.

119.JPG

The sides of the droid pit/neck area are painted, with a few greeblies added, and these too are ready for fitting.
120.JPG

The underside of the cockpit has a curved fairing - the shading gives a rough outline where to place it, but no real definitive lines.
The underside given a crude lick of paint, but you won't see much in here when pipes are added later.

121.JPG

A dry fit was in order, followed by a faint pencil line to give myself a target.
122.JPG

Starboard side greeblie circled came out fine...
123.JPG

Port-side however was a bit of a mess - so I havre tryied to make it look as if fluids have been leaking to half-heartedly disguise my shoddy wo
124.JPG

All parts added - no major fit issues with these, so all is well
125.jpg

I WILL TACKLE THE BASIC ENGINE SHAPES NEXT OVER THE WEEKEND AND SEE WHAT WE HAVE GOING ON THERE...

THANKS FOR TUNING IN AS ALAWAYS

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
The demise of the old part was passed onto the supervisor for his inspection of total inhalation!
View attachment 206100

Hopefully with this 'problem part' out of the way I can now carry on with adding this neck part and the main body section

Of course, now you are teaching you cat to play with your paper models...

:hammerhead:

I love the clever use of the blast insulation! Really makes the part look textured!!!!