What I flew when I was in the Air Force.

-Jim G

I was in the USAF during the latter half of the 1970's just post Vietnam conflict. Like most of the people in the Air Force, I am not a pilot, but my job was critical to the mission: I loaded weapons onto the aircraft. Without weapons the Air Force is just a bad airlines!

To lift heavy ordinance into the aircraft hardpoints there is a special piece of equipment that is beloved by load crews - it is officially named MJ-1 Bomb Lift Truck, but everyone that used one called it simply: a Jammer. I was building an F-4E Phantom II model recently and I needed a Jammer to go with my aircraft model. Since there were no card models of Jammers that I could find, I designed my own.dga-mj101z.jpg
During the Vietnam era Jammers and other Aerospace Ground Equipment [AGE] was painted yellow. I was there during the post war transition when all of the yellow AGE equipment was repainted forest green. Presently the new equipment appears to be blue-gray. Since I was working with Vietnam Era Veterans to get the details correct, I made the first model yellow. I have recolored the model to forest green.
IMG_20210622_131758.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is such a delightful gem(mer ;) )! I love the attention to detail, the colours and especially the little fire extinguisher (I hope you know that I have a natural affection for mini fire extinguishers :D ). The fact that the jammer actually moves is the icing on the cake. Thank you very much for sharing this. Are you going to release the model?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice, the fact that the arm raises and lowers shows how much you put into this, and frankly, really put the model over the top. I'm sure many would be interested in it for their own appliations in dioramas. When will you be releasing it? ;)

-Jim G

This is such a delightful gem(mer ;) )! I love the attention to detail, the colours and especially the little fire extinguisher (I hope you know that I have a natural affection for mini fire extinguishers :D ). The fact that the jammer actually moves is the icing on the cake. Thank you very much for sharing this. Are you going to release the model?
I thought at the time, and still think now, that if there is a fire happening in the vicinity of a weapons loadout, best not to use the puny fire extinguisher - best to run as fast as you can!

The model has been released in yellow and in forest green. If you Google: 'paper model Jammer', you will find it.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Normally we don't allow links or retail links, but you have not done that. You posted a great build thread, and a video. In this case, we do allow you to post a direct link to ECardmodels because of your complete build thread. So feel free to post a link to your model, as you have fulfilled our basic requirements and are entitled to so. I want you to, it would be a great model for people to buy. ;)

-Jim G

Thanks Zathros.
The instructions are a free download - they are, in fact, a more detailed build thread than what I posted here: Instructions

The yellow Jammer is available here: Yellow Jammer

The Forest Green Jammer is here: Green Jammer

The instructions are included with the yellow and green model downloads.

We donate all funds that we collect to aviation museums. I was disappointed when I visited the USAF Armament Museum near Pensacola because they did not have a Jammer. I am hoping we can raise enough so they can acquire one.

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I like that the lifting arm raises and lowers. I see some greebling potential.
You did a GREAT JOB on this project!!!

-Jim G

I like that the lifting arm raises and lowers. I see some greebling potential.
You did a GREAT JOB on this project!!!
Thank you for saying so Rhaven!

I am hoping to find good resources for more AGE equipment. I would like to have models of an AN32-60 [aka: DASH 60] Ground Power Unit, and an NF-2 Light Cart. If anyone knows of a museum that has either, please let me know.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Hello Jim, there are lots of images available on the internet lots of 2D views maybe you can use these to make your templates. If you want I can do a quick scan and send the pictutes to you.

-Jim G

Hello Jim, there are lots of images available on the internet lots of 2D views maybe you can use these to make your templates. If you want I can do a quick scan and send the pictures to you.
Thanks mijob!
I am a stickler for scale in my models. Photos are helpful for me to understand how to put things together, but dimensioned drawings are a much better starting point for me. My real preference is to actually measure the real thing. I was fortunate with the Jammer because one of my old Air Force comrades is a docent at the museum in Dayton. On a visit there he got me into the back areas, with a tape measure. Unfortunately, I live a long distance from Dayton and he is not too good with a tape measure.

So yes, I would like to see photos, but I will likely not start a new model until I have 3-view drawings with at least a few dimensions.dga-mj101z.jpg

Chuffy70

Thanks Zathros.
The instructions are a free download - they are, in fact, a more detailed build thread than what I posted here: Instructions

The yellow Jammer is available here: Yellow Jammer

The Forest Green Jammer is here: Green Jammer

The instructions are included with the yellow and green model downloads.

We donate all funds that we collect to aviation museums. I was disappointed when I visited the USAF Armament Museum near Pensacola because they did not have a Jammer. I am hoping we can raise enough so they can acquire one.
Great to hear your are putting funds towards this, so many workhorses go totally un-noticed, but to me they are more fascinating than the beasts they feed!

A fun looking model, I might just do one in 1/18th ;)

-Jim G

Great to hear your are putting funds towards this, so many workhorses go totally un-noticed, but to me they are more fascinating than the beasts they feed!

A fun looking model, I might just do one in 1/18th ;)
I would LOVE to see one built in 1:18 scale. At that large, I would think that the pivot points would not need to be continuous axels as I have done with the straight pins on my 1:32 scale model. That way the inner lifting arms would not need to be cut away. If you have not already downloaded the free instructions, please do so, you will see what I mean.

It is evident to me that a person cannot make enough money selling paper model kits to sustain themselves. It seems to be only enough for some beer and bait money. In lieu of beer and bat, we have decided to give all of the money we receive to aviation museums - not even covering our own expenses. Any purchase of the DGA models is making a donation to those museums ;)