Wasp helicopter

mikezax

Wasp helicopter

Author: Ladislav Badalec

Publisher: Cut-outs, paper models (green book)

Scale: 1:60

It is an Wasp unmanned flying machine, which is a kind of predecessor of today's drones. It is designed after Jules Verne's novel The Amazing Adventures of Barsac's Expedition. I will also make a mat for the model, but the Osa itself is already finished. The model looks simple (size 2xA4), but almost entirely consists of cylindrical and conical shapes, so gluing was not as simple as I thought...a few photos:

DSCN9644.jpgDSCN9669.jpgDSCN9671.jpgDSCN9673.jpgDSCN9679.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I have to say that it looks both odd and interesting at the same time! You did a GREAT JOB on this project!!!

mikezax

Thank you, The model is designed according to the description in the book that was published in 1919. Today's drones look different, but J.Verne accurately described the features of the drone already 100 years ago - remote control, electric drive, even the possibility of using the drone for military purposes, I think that he guessed it quite accurately...
I will also make a mat for it, I will be inspired by the plot of the novel, I will see what I can come up with...;)

mikezax

I didn't want to lecture here, because at first glance this machine looks ridiculous, until one realizes that only 16 years after the first piloted flight on a heavier-than-air plane, Jules Verne predicted a remote-controlled electric plane with this design, I must say it is quite decent vision of the future...:)
...but now back to the model...since the story takes place in Africa, the base of the mat is sand. In order to keep the wasp from standing directly on the sand, I had to invent some sort of landing platform. I think a Victorian Rivet Platform would do the trick. So that I don't have to draw it myself, I adapted part of the Eiffel Tower model from Canon. I cut through the structure and added rivets... I reinforced it from the bottom with a skewer structure just to be sure and sprayed it black... now I can continue... This is what it looks like at the moment;):

DSCN9716.jpgDSCN9721.jpgDSCN9726.jpgDSCN9733.jpgDSCN9728.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
The landing platform is a perfect touch to an already very interesting model.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
This looks perfect. It would be a nice idea if someone build this in real.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Great work, and a faithful reproduction of Verne's vision. The 19th century look of the landing pad is right on point with this.

mikezax

thanks to all of you :)

The model is finished. I also added the figure of the brilliant scientist Marcel Camaret to the mat, who is still checking the drawings and giving instructions to the mechanic on the platform...Wasp and the platform got a light patina...;)

DSCN9736.jpgDSCN9745.jpgDSCN9749.jpgDSCN9753.jpgDSCN9755.jpgDSCN9756.jpgDSCN9760.jpgDSCN9764.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
The diorama looks great! It is very fitting for a model like this!

mikezax

Thanks
smile.gif
, the model glued as part of Mr. Badalc's 75th birthday celebration. Other models of this event can be viewed here:

Papirove modelařstvi CZ • Zobrazit tema - Galerie postavenych modelů L. Badalce

Badalec - galeria modelov - papermodelers.sk

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent job! I love the extra touches like the figurines. Awesome! :)