Wanna enter a real tank?

lehcyfer

Not card modelling, but it's objects.

Virtual tour of a museum in my city of Poznan.

Muzeum Broni Pancernej (Museum of Armoured Weaponry) where you can see dozens of armored vehicles and enter inside of several of them, namely Stug IV, SU 85M, MTS 306, T34-85. To enter the vehicles press orange bar on the lower middle of the screen named "Indeks Panoram - wł/wył", and then choose a vehicle from list under title "Wnętrza Pojazdów:".

I love this museum, and now you can see it for yourself too :)

Wish you a great tour!

Z

Zathros

We have a Tank Museum in the next town over, in Danbury Ct. They let you go inside a most of them. Most were driven there. Some I have no idea how they got their given their size. :)

Psyscape

There's two tank museums close to where I live. One on my rock which has several tanks that are rolling stock (displays through the summer) and various other sundry pieces of equipment. The other one is at Bovington again with rolling stock, displays and all sorts of other things. Both allow people to crawl over the tanks and get inside - weight restrictions apply. Bovington even allow you to drive a couple which is rather cool and have a running Tiger 1 which they roll out once in a while and allow to thunder around the field. Next "Tiger Day" is the end of March which we're hoping to get over for.

The museum on my rock actively encourages involvement and will bring members of the public into the restoration area so you can get pretty up close and personal with the vehicles.

lehcyfer

I mentioned earlier the reconstruction of battle for Poznan Cytadela a few weeks ago - you can see the T34-85 from the museum in action in this movie (I linked to the moment where it enters the battle).

You can see Stug IV in test drive here:
[YOUTUBE]KXAKNC_yZYs[/YOUTUBE]

And that's how it looked like when it was excavated (it lied a few meters below the bottom of a river)
[YOUTUBE]t9WQfYr2arQ[/YOUTUBE]

The wreck was filled with ammo:
[YOUTUBE]rSvTHbDZl5Y[/YOUTUBE]

Z

Zathros

I would love to find something like that, and it is so cool. On the other hand, the price was way too high. I'm glad Poland took ownership of it though and with well deserved pride. :)

Z

Zathros

The events of recent History anger me so much, yet I find myself constantly studying it. I feel like so much of history is repeating itself, and as if something is building up, I hope I'm just paranoid.

SUPERMAX

I live about 10 miles from Aberdeen Provening Ground here in MARYLAND.
They have one of the best museums of WW2 tank and guns in the United States.

robot

i'm a paper shredder
Very nice website for a museum.
Now available in English.
Further improvements: driving the tank around and firing the gun :)
This sparks an idea: build an AR app for mobiles for virtual tank fights around the museum (using wifi) or somewhere else.
Anyone knows programming for android?

r0b0t

Banyon

Best tank museum I've ever seen was at Ft. Knox KY.
It's the General Patton memorial museum (if I remember correctly). Free admittance.
Check out the website here to get an idea...
Http://www.generalpatton.org
They have some of Pattons actual personal stuff (clothes, cars, command truck, pistols, etc...)
They also have over 50 different tanks.... Some of which you can climb inside. (I think it was 50ish... I was there 15 years ago)
Hope this helps for those who are interested.

lehcyfer

In the museum there are available two more vehicles to enter: T-70 and ISU-152. Also you can choose english version so it is easier to navigate.

Z

Zathros

I spent a long time at that website yesterday, as did my 12 year old son. Excellent example of what well thought out and motivated people can do. :)

lehcyfer

5th August of last year people from the museum have extracted a wreck of german artillery tractor Sd.Kfz 6 from the mud of old channel of Warta river.
[YOUTUBE]kX8iHlUdrPM[/YOUTUBE]
Today, exactly one year after that, after thousands of hours of work of many people it is restored to fully functional state. Its engine is still not completed but it works using another one.

MBP_20120723_007.jpg

This is how it looked like at trials just 2 months ago:
[YOUTUBE]oY3Vz0ze6sc[/YOUTUBE]
What follows is a series of images showing the vehicle before and after restoration. I find it mindboggling how did they manage that. And they took great care to preserve as much of the original parts as was possible.

MBP_20120804_001a.jpg

MBP_20120804_002a.jpg

MBP_20120804_003a.jpg

MBP_20120804_004a.jpg

MBP_20120804_005a.jpg

I can only applaud their enormous, wonderful work. I hope to get a ride on this beauty sometime soon ;)

Z

Zathros

That is almost beyond belief!! Do they get help or any kind of info from any German organizations in regard to technical specification information?

Jakar Nilson

Real neat! Surprised by how roomy the T-70 interior appears. Shame you can't go into the later models (like the IS-3)

The Canadian War Museum has something similar, though offline. By the Sherman in the WW2 exhibit, there's an interactive screen that allows you to look at the interior from the point of view of the tank commander.

peterson

This is just "WOW" I didn't ever see that is inside tank. Anyway now question arises that if ever there is a problem occur in this tank then where you go for repairing?