VF-1 Valkyrie

Getter1

G1 i am not sure if this has been covered already or not what paper weight and tools are you using to do these. i am fairly new to the papercraft hobby and dont quite know all this stuff yet. and on the wing thickness the instructions say to use a strip of paper but it looks like you would need several strips to create the proper thickness, would a sanded down popcicle stick also work?

Wulf,

1st off the paper used is 65lbs. cardstock. I used construction paper for the Triple Missiles as the cardstock was giving me alignment fits trying to roll so tight for the paper weight. The canopy was printed on regular printer paper to reduce the thickness. I actually made a whole page of canopy frames to print on regular paper to save from double printing a page of parts when I only need a few of em :p Too bad I did that after I already did Max's canopy as I added pilot names to the canopy frames :(

For tools *(Take notes, Getta-Tricks ahead)*,

Small Metal Ruler - for cutting and scoring parts.

Stylis - for scoring parts. Note I score fold lines before I cut anything out.

X-Acto Knife and Good Scissors - for cuting out parts obviously :p

Needle Nose Pliers - for pressing seams tight to lock in alignment. I also use these to hold small parts along the fold lines and fold em using the edge of the pliers to keep the fold straight. I use a toothpick to aid in folds to. For small sections a toothpick can make the folding a lot easier and safer for the part. For many folds I even use the above method to sharpen the fold up producing a much cleaner fold. Bottom line Needle Nose Pliers are a must!

Various pens, markers, watercolor pencils, ect. - for edge coloring. Note for black edges try to use a gray marker instead of black. A couple passes with gray matches far better than one overpowering pass of black.

Lots of Toothpicks - What don't I use em for? I apply glue with em, I fold small parts with em, True up fold edges with em, on occasion they are parts or reinforcements for parts. When they are all gummed up with glue they become handy paint stirrers or stock for parts (such as landing gear struts for the Valks.). Toothpicks are like duct-tape man :D

Dowels and rods of various diameters - for rolling parts agianst to shape.

Sanding Films and paints - for hiding bad building technique :p Sometimes you can smooth out rounded areas for a more blended look and paint em.

Last but not least my favorite,

STICKY FINGERS - take an old toothpick and wrap a 2 inch piece of masking tape around on the "end" of the strip of tape on to itself. Then take the tape and wrap it onto itself sticky side out. Walla you got yourself a sticky finger for holding small parts to apply glue and for setting those pesky little parts in place. When the sticky is all messed up peel a bit off and walla it's refreshed :D

One word of warning on Sticky Fangas. For tiny delicate parts the finger's strength may be a bit too much. That can be remedied but rolling it in yoiur finger tips to lessen it's grip with the oil from your fingers.

Hope this helps :D

G1

Getter1

Wulf,

Opps got into that list and I forgot to answer your ? bout the wings. use a strip of regular printer paper bout 1/4 inch wide. Glue half of it to the trailing edge of the wing. Before the glue sets up too much fold it over forming a tab on the back edge of the wing to attach the other side to. Why not just make a tab on the back side of one wing surface you say? You could do that but that's amatur (not trying to sound arrogant). The printer paper makes a much tighter seam. For the thickness the 2 layers of 65lbs. cardstock produces that thickness. The paper tab contributes very little but does some. If a tab was just extended off the back of the wing trailing edge it would produce too thick a trailing edge and may make alignment of the 2 surfaces off a bit.

These models can be as simple or as complex as you want em to be. Add whatever option parts you think you can handle and most importantly have fun :D

G1

marksolo

can any one tell me which of the download file contains the pilot figure?

can any one also tell me how is the transparent windshield made?

it looks great

Getter1

Marksolo,

The pilots have yet to be released by Janx. He's trying to catch up on a ton o stuff ATM so he's probably not thought bout it. Give him time, soon enough ;)

As for the canopy make a canopy witht he tabs on the outside. I used the canopy blank from the detail sheet. Fill the canopy with putty or filler (I used 5 min. epoxy myself). When the filler has dried soak the paper canopy off in a glass of water. Sand down the mold to remove the bumps fromt he paper seams. Sand it down as fine as you can. Mount the mold on a dowel or something and heat a piece of plastic (I used a piece of a battery pak) over a candle. When it begins to sag quickly plung the plastic over the mold and let cool. Trim it up and walla you're done ;) There are several ways to do this other than how I described but I found this method the easiest so far.

G1

marksolo

Thanks for the info Getter1

I already have tons of Macross toys, but these will be my most prized collection (when i get there, that is)

:thumb:

marksolo

thanks

Just downloaded the pilot figures, thanks for all the hard work.
Janx and others,
I am a slow builder though, took me a couple months just to build JayBat's Galactica, so it will be a while before I can post some pics.

juliansu27

exelente tu trabajo una vez empese con una proyecto parecido pero no fue de tanta calidad no me atrebo a publicar las fotos por qe son horribles al lado de lo que armastes mis sinceras felicitaciones saludos julian

Excellent your work once I began with one similar project but it was not so many quality I do not dare to publish the photos because they are horrible next to what armastes my sincere congratulations regards julian

a los latinos o qe entiendan castellano me traducen qe no tengo idea del ingles solo use una traductor saludos

Getter1

Hey Unikron,

Glad to see a build :D Is that the Darkbird with Super Paks? What was your 1st build?

Juliansu27,

Show your build anyway;) I wanna see more builds :D I put a lot of time into this so I wanna see even if you don't like it, I will :D

It's like seeing children or something :p

G1

Getter1

Unikron,

Skull Leader with cockpit :D :D :D Now that's a beautiful thing :D

The canopy can be a pain but keep trying. You ony gotta make 1 sucessful mold and you got all A,J,&S variants covered ;)

Keep it up. I wanna see more.

G1

pool

muchas gracias por el trebajo que realizaron los felicito y tienen mis respetos ahora les muestro mis avances

thank you very much for the work and I congratulate them now have my respect I show my progress

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

muchas gracias por mirar y les mando un saludo desde mendoza argentina

thank you very much for looking and command them greetings from mendoza argentina

Janx

That looks great, I havent got the courage up to tackle the battloid either :) I managed the Min may Guard gerwalk but It got crushed.

Keep it up, good to see the builds :D

Getter1

Pool,

That's great :D I ask for build pics an woah, here they come! :D

Keep em comin folks ;)

Unikron & Janx,

Battroid is not as scary as you think ;) For one there's no cockpit :p Well unless.........Oh nevermind :p Don't ask :p

The Battroid's body is very easy to assemble. The hardest part is the nose and joints if you add em.

G1

Janx

An image of the Armoured battroid parts so far, I need to work out the Attachment of the Chest, thrusters and Hips now :confused:

Attachments

• P020609_17.44.jpg
    P020609_17.44.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 136
  • P020609_17.13[01].jpg
    P020609_17.13[01].jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 77

pool

O.O guauu fantastico muy bueno la armadura jeje te felicito pronto pondre mas fotos del battroid

O.O guauu very good jeje congratulations soon will put more photos Battroid