'Using Rhinoceros' Discussion Thread

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very interesting. I'm actually encouraging people to NOT use tabs, and use strips of paper inside, maintaining the edges on the same plane. I believe tabs cause an accrued intolerance, which leads to gaps and uneven surfaces. However, if you could write a script that would allow, let's say, one gear to meth with another gear, or, make figures, and assign points on where axis legs, arms, doors, anything you rotate, especially in the "Rotate 3D command, and have that stay with the model one assigned to that group, that would also be fantastic, and well, you would certainly have more of my attention than you do know, and after seeing your work, you have quite a bit of it!! :)

I totally agree. Using tabs makes your model more inaccurate - but you can always drawn tabs which are not attached to the part itself - something like the strips of paper you have mentioned. Duplicate border of a part and create tabs on both sides and you have your "strip" of paper :)

I am not sure if I get your suggestion for new scripts right - send me PM and if it isn't very difficult I could give it a try :)

Ing. Spendlik

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I was referring to making of two bears, and be able to have those gears spin in relation of each other in the proper ration. Now, if the gears did not mesh right, you could stop the motion and fix the mesh as you go alone. One gear would not be driving the other (virtually) but it would look that way. By eing able to control the speed, and stop at the right point, one could draw a shape that defines the parts of the gears that aren't inter meshing properly and use that shape as a way of fixing the problem. One could then "Array, Polar" the shape, around each gear, then use the shapes to "Split" the gears. The end result would be gears that work properly.

The other suggestion was just being able to make a figure, and assign pointss, at the elbow, wrist, knee, fingers, etc, that would be the center of rotation, and stay that way till removed. Such a figure, being able to be posted, and stored, imported into other works, would a valuable tool in designing anything around a person. This can be don in a cumbersome way now, but is extremely time consuming. Imagine having a figure sitting in a virtual car, airplane, etc,, clicking on "Move", "One click on the hand, Osnap set to near, and watch the arm unfold and reach out to the gear shift lever, or button on the dashboard. The fix pivot points would then show how the figure would have to reach, too far, you would see the whole body move on it's pivot points.

That's a tall order beyond my capabilities. It would be neat though. Something like what is done on this site: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/613599/

It would be awesome. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Every version of Pivot Man I have tried has malware, this one doesn't, it''s called "Stykz". It's FREE, and explains the kind of pivot point command I wish could be incorporated into Rhino. This can be downloaded and used. It's 2D unfortunately. I have scanned this with Norton 360, and it comes out clean. :)

http://www.stykz.net/downloads/windows.php

Hi Guys,
thanks to my "skills" there were a small bug in scripts for Rhino V5. I have fixed it and uploaded them on my site. Rhino V4 scripts should run correctly.
Ing. Spendlik

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Any comments on what I posted? I think you're right about tabs, they are just s easy to cut off, and sometimes, they tell people where to put the glue!! :)

Hi Zathros,
I think I know what you want (based on that figure drawing with movable arms with joints). There was a commercial plugin for Rhino called Driving Dimensions, then it was renamed to RhinoWorks. However according to www.drivingdimensions.com, development stopped and it's no longer available. You can see how it worked in this video:

Right now, this is far away from my knowledge of Rhino, NURBS and RhinoScript. I am not saying I won't be able to code it, however it will take me a huge amount of time - not only to code it but also to learn all necessary functions. Sorry, but this not real at this time :)

Ing. Spendlik

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I believe McNeel should have included this function of being able to assign points of rotation to parts, and allowing those points to be saved. Yes, it can be done now, but it isn't saved and, as you know, has to be initiated all the time you want to rotate a part about an axis.. Thanks for your honest answer. It is well beyond my capabilities. Between running this forum, maintaining all the vehicles I own, and restoring my motorhome, so we can go away for 4 days in the next two days, leaves me little time to try and learn scripts for this. I used to do it for 4 axis CNC machines. I haven't built a model in quite a long time, and that is really getting to me. Considering I have a pile I have designed, and are almost ready to go. :)