Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/25 Scale (Engine)

kooklik

Hi there
Back again , continue building on driving section. I finished left side of guide. I'll paint in aluminium color same as rods.
Engine-94.jpg
Engine-95.jpg
Engine-96.JPG

kooklik

Painted Guide with aluminium color and the Guide Holder in flat black. And continued to build Cross Head. I have not painted yet. I checked aligment and its slideability. I inserted a stainless shaft through the cylinder's holes straight to the Cross Head to check their centering. All are OK as in the 3D model.

Engine-097.jpg

Engine-098.jpg

Engine-099.JPG

kooklik

Main Rod:
1. Cut along for all parts but do not throw away the inner piece of frame (the biggest cardboard part).
2. Remove the inner piece and glue the bonding surface. (Spray glue is recommended)
3. Put the inner piece back to the frame.
4. Paste the frame to the thin frame (190 grams piece) and press all surface with a flat plate. The inner piece keeps the frame shape when assembly.
5. Remove the inner piece.
6. Assemly the Joint Reinforcement pieces (the smaller cardboard pieces)
7. Fillet out the corners with knife.
I avoid to use sand paper to the surface. It makes rough surface and not good for painting.
Engine-100.jpg
Engine-101.jpg

kooklik

The cross head was completed. I want to see how the engine looked like when the main rod is set to. The rod holes and aligment with the cross head is OK. It seems no crashing with other wheels' joints. He's going to be a really operatable looking machine. I love to watch him and wanna share here.
----kooklik----
Engine-102.JPG
Engine-103.JPG

kooklik

Thank you 4x4paper I'll use this tip for other smaller rods too. I'll have a report soon. Now I am unrolling other smaller rods and links.
Cheers
----kooklik----

E

ekuth

I just continue to be amazed at the quality of work you show... so clean!

kooklik

Thank you Ekuth , I have more progression report.
Drive rods and main rods were rebuilt. Today I finished all ecentric rods and link rods and most of main parts of driving unit.
Engine-104.jpg
Engine-105.jpg
Engine-106.jpg

Holy @#$ !!!

That will be an awesome model when your done !!!

What kind of card board are you using ?? Did you it getting from a craft store ??

And Is this a personal build or do you plan on a release ??

kooklik

The cardboad is made of bagasse. I don't know the English name. It's a material for most of architechture model building in my country.
For the plan to release is still far away. It may take 1.5 y from now , still long :( But I'll release in sections. Total 4 , Tender , Front Engine , Back Engine and Boiler+Cab.

Engine-107.jpg
Engine-108.jpg
Engine-109.jpg

4x4paper

For the plan to release is still far away. It may take 1.5 y from now , still long :( But I'll release in sections. Total 4 , Tender , Front Engine , Back Engine and Boiler+Cab.

I thing some pre cut parts will make this model more attractive :thumb:

i figure it would be a long build , just from the look of it size wise ..
i will look in to that cardboard , Its look stronger then the form board they sell, And after awhile it bends :(

Elliott

Your build/rebuild of the drive gear is astounding! Such a complicated piece of gear and you have broken it down in such a way that I can (almost:mrgreen:) understand it. Is it my imagination or are the drive rods and main rods stronger/more robust than they were?

kooklik

Hello there
Today I combined all rods and links together. All rods are individual linking. I must be careful of glue applying. Gluing mistake on joints causes error positions.
Cheers
----kooklik----
Engine-112.jpg
Engine-113.jpg
Engine114.jpg
Engine-115.jpg

kooklik

Thank you kcpstudio
and
Hello there
I am back. More than a month I have nothing in progress. My time was occupied by work. Today I covered all joints by bolts. And added a link for reverse gear. That's all finishing of left side rod works.
Cheers
----kooklik----
Engine-117.JPG
Engine-118.JPG
Engine-119.JPG
Engine-120.jpg