U.S.S. GOOD DUCK II

goodduck

Been ten years I last sail this boat. Took me most of the afternoon to repaired broken parts and put in a new receiver, and off she went! It was a beautiful day for sailing. I think the water is deep enough for my bigger sailboats. I am going have to get the big boats sea worthily too.

Attachments

• 20150712_203146.jpg
    20150712_203146.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20150712_203140_001.jpg
    20150712_203140_001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
(Singing) "I joined the navy to see the world, and what did I see?"

I spent 7 years in submarines.....

Nice model!

goodduck

Wow! that's tough luck if you don't like confined space.

1st, U.S.S. Good Duck I. 1 meter, need new paint job and new remote. 2nd, U.S.S. Good Duck II. 22", need to see more water. 3rd, U.S.S. Good Duck III. 1 meter, under going complete overhaul. My fastest race boat. Need a lot of love right now. She will be seaworthy again, hopefully soon. <3

Attachments

• 20150713_083915.jpg
    20150713_083915.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20150713_084008.jpg
    20150713_084008.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20150713_084552.jpg
    20150713_084552.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice. I have one, the overall length is around 2.5 feet. It has a full fiberglass hull, kind of a "J" class shaped hull, full keel, in other words. I always enjoyed the full size ones more though. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I wish to build a 16 foot maybe 18 foot, Sharpie style Sailboat, with a self tending jib and a Marconi rig. I really want to teach my son how to sail, and I have enough salt in me to do this. Maybe a Yawl, to allow for hoving to. :)

Bill Nelson

I have two R?C projects that are on hold due to my lack of knowlege about R/C. My first was a Roman bireme. I built a working or mechanism. but the mechanism was too heavy, It took on water, and the radio got strange.

My other project is supposed to be a side wheel paddle steamer it has a split hull, built up plank on frame. I have a removable sailing keel, that is interchangeable with the display stand, so it floats nicely.

I found that aluminum arrows are a perfect fit inside a spent 38 special shell, so O can have removable masts that fit in shells built into the stout deck structure. plan to have all the electronics, except perhaps the battery in the upper hull section. so the rigging , paddle mechanism, steering and such can be fully accessible from underneith.

at a standstill currently due to a lack of time. as well as not knowing how to set up sail to RC.
#2planking tiny.jpg

bookshelf test! 23%.jpg

Ship w handrails.jpg

arrows  as mast tiny.jpg

curent  shape of  Bireme .jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Those are beautiful works. It they served as displays only, their beauty would be well served. ;)

Bill Nelson

They both float nicely. the bireme is only about 20 inches long minus the bowsprit. I should have built it tice that size, and it would have been able to support the oar mechanism, radio and batteries.

am working on milling out some of the oversized frame work to lighten it, and will want to build a more simplified lighter oar mechanism. the last one used full size servos with the stops cut out that worked as reversible motors. I had right and left oars on separate channels. will probably try to link them. and possibly run them off of a mini servo to save weight

the paddle wheel and rudder will be easy, need to figure out how to work the sails, on the paddle wheel steamer, which will be rigged as a schooner or ketch.

a link to the oar mechanism that failed due to being too heavy.

face reflection.jpg

stn tp o  bulwars & 1st brailing28%.jpg

dual float test 22%.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I do have a suggetion, some may find it hideous. Around 30 years ago, I took a beautiful sjip hull, it was solid, applied a releasing agent to it, and made a mold. I was able to slip the mold straight out off of the wooden ship. In this case, you could make fiberglass half molds, separating down the centerline, and you would end up with the exact shape, without harming to wooden ships, but have fiberglass hulls which would you do do virtually anything you wanted with them. Just a thought. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Wow...This takes me back ( Way Back) to the pond in the Luxembourg Gardens. They used to have sailboats to rent that would skim from one side to the other... and I just found a video so...They Still Got em! This circular pond is NOT small, and at 5 years old...HUGE one of those memories that sticks with you!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Wow...This takes me back ( Way Back) to the pond in the Luxembourg Gardens. They used to have sailboats to rent that would skim from one side to the other... and I just found a video so...They Still Got em! This circular pond is NOT small, and at 5 years old...HUGE one of those memories that sticks with you!!

That blows my mind!! I love my country, but I don't know why there aren't things like this. Connecticut's parks are beautiful, but if you tried to set up a sail boat rental operation like that, you would be busted so fast. The E.P.A. would come up with some reason that you can't do it, or businesses like that are zoned out. It's almost like "Culture' is zoned out. Great video. Thanks! :)

Bill Nelson

I do have a suggetion, some may find it hideous. Around 30 years ago, I took a beautiful sjip hull, it was solid, applied a releasing agent to it, and made a mold. I was able to slip the mold straight out off of the wooden ship. In this case, you could make fiberglass half molds, separating down the centerline, and you would end up with the exact shape, without harming to wooden ships, but have fiberglass hulls which would you do do virtually anything you wanted with them. Just a thought. :)

only building one, and wood is good, have always thought that keeping materials on a model as close as possible to what was used on the real thing helps realism .

my split hull is split horizontally a ways above the waterline, besides a gasget at the joint. a wall built in the lower half will stick up enough hopefully to prevent any water entry when heeled over under a stout breeze. when I get this set up for RC will be able to sail on KY. Lake, where we have a cabin.

thats the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi: I'm hoping to get out there in the middle of the bay in one of my canoes or kayaks, and sail my paddle wheel steamer around.

first I have to learn how to set up the sails for RC, Will rig is as a schooner or ketch. if I get fancy might ad square topsails, but I'm thinking straight up fore and aft rigging will be so much simpler.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Marconi rib with a jib is the easiest way to go, probably the most efficient too. ;)

Bill Nelson

I'm pretty much wedded to the idea of a wood hull. nothing looks as much like wood as wood. and the construction details for wood look right. Just have to learn how to do RC also need to dust this model!

IMG_4840.JPG
below is the view from the dock on our lake house, so there is some real sailing room, and this is just the bay. Kentucky lake is the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi.

IMG_0276 2.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It is a beautiful boat. I was gifted a Marconi rigged 36' overall length sailboat. New in the box, the guy was going to throw it away. I couldn't let that happen, so he gave it to me. It has a full keep, I think it would sail beautifully. The expensive part is the unit from pulling in and releasing the boo,. I could make the jib self tending. One of these days.

I can't blame you for making a beautiful sailboat that works. ;)