U.F.O. Interceptor - 1/12 Scale Paper Model

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
I have been binge-watching Series 1 of "Witcher" on Netflix over the last couple of weeks. I'm feeling tired today, but I'm going to add some more to the Interceptor build :yesyes:

Here I have added the orange LEDs for the high-velocity cannons simulation. I used thin (24 SWG) tin-copper wire for the connections. On the middle left wire you can see the 1/8 Watt resistor enclosed in heat-shrink tubing. It's better to use a dedicated resistor for each LED to avoid issues.
100_5106.jpg

Over the last months I found a lot more of my build photos for this model, so have been including them here. In the future I am going to sequence the lighting effects with a microprocessor. This will enable me to synchronize lights and sound.
100_5107.jpg

Sliding on the nose assembly to the main body making sure to route the wires properly.
100_5108.jpg

It was better for me to work on the model with the body vertical. This enabled the glue to flow into the bulkheads better. It also avoided putting pressure on pieces that didn't need pressure.
100_5109.jpg

I made a stand for the Interceptor out of some small cereal boxes, and some thick cardboard I had been trying to find a use for. You can see the horizontal strengthening pieces along the sides of the fuselage. I didn't glue the side panels to these as it would distort the shapes of the paper.
100_5110.jpg

This here's the micro-servo used for the canopy operation. I made a long control arm out of thick plastic-card to give enough throw :blueface: The servo at the bottom is for the pilots animation.
100_5116.jpg

A bit blury, but more detail on the routing of the fibers and wiring.
100_5117.jpg

Time to start work on the rest of the body panels. My work table was getting way too small for this guy!
100_5118.jpg

Getting a nice glint off the paper This all brings back happy memories! I really enjoyed working on this project!
100_5119.jpg

These small clamps are very useful from Harbor Freight. Here;s a wiring loom, and the bowden-cable.
100_5122.jpg

A glitch with the camera, but you get the idea. This is the underside skin being tested for correct fit. The parts have to be tested over-and over to make sure any imperfections have not been scaled up too.,
100_5121.jpg

More panels ready for cutting and laminating for strength.
100_5123.jpg

I fitted a thin transparent piece of plastic around the edge of the cockpit for the canopy to locate against when it is in the closed position. This is pretty important to make sure the canopy fits right and is snug.
100_5124.jpg

Deciding on Canopy Implementation:

I looked at all the UFO Series and movies, everything I could find to see how the canopy hinged. I couldn't find anything! We just were shown the pilot going down the slide and the next thing we see him in the Interceptor cockpit. It took quite a lot of thought, experimentation, and research to determine how it "could" work. It seems this has never been attempted before maybe?

I have a really good reference from Japan. It is all in Japanese language but there are many images of all the aspects of the UFO Series/Movie franchise at that time. Each of the pilots take their own "chute" from the internal Moon-base Launch room. The chute takes the pilot down to the lower level of the Interceptor launch bay below the moon surface. At the bottom of the chute the pilot is lowered into the seat of the Interceptor from above. This would suggest that the Interceptor Launch Bay is pressurized, so the pilots can breath.

The Interceptor's canopies are all in the open fully position, so that the pilots can be gently lowered in to the seat inside the cockpit. After the pilot is inside the Interceptor, the mechanism for lowering the pilot is retracted clear of the vehicle. Then the canopies all close and the cockpit is pressurized (it has to be because there is no sign of any breathing apparatus installed for the pilots to breath). The Interceptor Launch Bay is then depressurized, and then the sliding doors separate, and fully open allowing the Interceptors to be lifted on hydraulic platforms to the surface. They then engage thrusters and lift-off in pursuit of the UFO. When they return, the actions are reversed aside from the quick launch entry chute. Instead the pilots disembark through another path as they cannot go backwards up through the chute due to low gravity. It appears that artificial gravity exists on the Moon-Base Alpha to simulate that of earth, otherwise everyone would be bouncing around:animated: Someone told me that the Moon has 1/6 the gravity of Earth so it does have some gravity but not the same as Earth.

Okay, that is my take on the way the Interceptors launch procedure is executed. With this in mind, it would require that the canopy is fully open without obscuring the lowering of the pilot into the pilot seat. I experimented with the canopy first of all with the hinge located at the back of the canopy, and found that it was not possible to open it far enough without hitting the fairing on top of the fuselage just behind the rear of the canopy. This was due to the angle of the window (the overall shape). This would prevent the access for the pilot. Also, with the hinge at the rear, which actually would have been easier to build it would conflict with the telescope viewing system to the back of the craft (located just behind the pilot's head). With the canopy fully open with the hinge behind it actually looks kind of weird too as it sticks way high up above the top of the fuselage :Smartass:

With the hinge at the front, it allows full access for lowering in the pilot into his seat also much faster as you don't have to wait so long for the canopy to fully open as you would if it was possible with rear mounted hinges if you see what I mean? It also does not conflict with any of the other equipment, and seems to look more natural, kind of like opening the hood on an E-Type Jaguar.

So, that was my take on it as I couldn't find any reference to this in any episode, movie or otherwise :hammerhead:

Another view of the rear body internals before they are closed forever!
100_5132.jpg

A little tricky getting the panels to butt join :mooner: nicely thumbsup

100_5133.jpg

I use Post-It notes to hold parts together as it doesn't harm the paper. Also, rubber-bands, clamps, mini clothes-pins, and modelling pins. I also rest my model on a soft towel to stop the chances of damaging the paper parts by scratching them on the work surface.
100_5134.jpg

I had to plan for mounting the Missile on the front of the nose.
100_5135.jpg

Building up the fins of the air intakes. A nice bead of white glue to add nice strength to it.
100_5136.jpg

Here is the left front cowling. I did have to re-make one of these as the first attempt didn't go together right. Patience is needed on each of the joints with a strip of paper on the inside to support the parts. I cut off the majority of the tabs for all the parts as the overlap was just too noticeable, and looked bad especially due to the thicker material (laminated paper).
100_5137.jpg

I need a new cutting board! This one has been very well-used!

Attachments

• 100_5121.jpg
    100_5121.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 1

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words Zathros! We've been having some issues where we are currently staying, and other such health issues so I haven't felt too great lately.

I have health issues too, so I know of what you speak. May you find peace and solace in your handicraft. :)

Reactions: mtrappett

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
I am curious: Is your figure based off of Tirick's figures?
Yes, I got the idea from Tirick's designs :bowdown:, specifically, the one of Luke Skywalker pilot from Star Wars. I just basically used the same techniques, and scaled it up to match the Interceptor's scale. I made a standing and a seated version. I will be doing a section just on the pilot's build at the end of this build. It's a project in itself.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
thumbsup Okay, I've got some more time for uploading! Here's some of my reference material I found.

View attachment 180621

Mike Trim and Derek Meddings designed the UFO Interceptor Awesomely talented guys for sure!
11753682_480433175453137_1336891561211001442_n.jpg

bwInterceptors.gif

I think this is pretty awesome wouldn't you say? Fills in so many details of the mechanical's. Still no details of the canopy hinging though? :(
CKTwc5FUYAAgoYG.jpg large.jpg

Another awesome picture from the same artist.... beautiful!!
CKTwRPfUkAAn0GF.jpg large.jpg

images.jpg

imagesxx.jpg

interceptor___ufo_series_2_by_gguidoo.jpg

interceptor___ufo_series_by_gguidoo.jpg

interceptor1.jpg

mecha71b.jpg

UFO Interceptor blueprints.
sgBlueInt.jpg

Unfortunately, the UFO Interceptor is not on this diagram, but hey! Its a pretty awesome reference for all the other totally cool craft including the BSG Viper. I would like to do a similar upscale build in the future.
11034894_10153126461781944_6589512447620108584_n.jpg

The Right side front cowling.
100_5138.jpg

Ah, it's taking shape real nice!!
100_5139.jpg

This was proof that the undercarriage was still not strong enough as you can see from the terrible cracking!! :headbange: I had to re-do this!

100_5140.jpg

Yup, the other side too needs to be re-done to carry the weight.
100_5141.jpg

Plastic card to the rescue! 1.00mm thick. One each side of the undercarriage legs.
100_5142.jpg

One thing I found out was the styrene sheet doesn't glue easy like. I found that slow drying superglue was best. The gel stuff from Gorilla worked pretty good. Also clamping was essential to avoid unwanted gaps in the layers. I also reinforced the inside of the cabin adjacent to the under-cart with epoxy resin. It was tricky to get to but hey... what can you do? :bulgeeye:
100_5143.jpg

A view of the underside of the Interceptor.
100_5144.jpg

The nose was tricky to get all the flaps looking good.
100_5145.jpg

Last edited:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
The word "EMAERGENCY", that you can see on the side of the fairing had to be fixed.

100_5146.jpg

Here are the the side pieces and how they will be connected when fitted to the model.
100_5147.jpg

Inside of the fairing showing the method of joining.
100_5148.jpg

I made a frame to affix the fairing/cowling parts to the front. You can get away by just gluing the sides to the body with the small model, but with this size, it had to have a more solid fixing.
100_5149.jpg

A close-up of the "rails".
100_5150.jpg

Big pieces ready to be attached. White glue used throughout these parts.
100_5151.jpg

The "cheeks" at the front I used eventually for the electronics. There were parts that had to be painted silver, and matt black before fitting the sides. This has been the case all through the model build to ensure where needed, paint, sharpie, or whatever worked to hide seams and provide continuity.
100_5152.jpg

Left side ready to install.
100_5153.jpg

The rails make for a more positive, accurate, and strong installation.
100_5154.jpg

100_5156.jpg

Left side done!
100_5157.jpg

The same thing on the right hand side.
100_5158.jpg

Here is the underside panel install. This was modified to enable an access flap to be created.
100_5159.jpg

Some delicate tweaking on the edges of the paper to provide a nice curved fit. A pin holds it in place while the glue dries.
100_5160.jpg

Start of Primary Engine Build

This will be illuminated with a whole mass of LEDs to best simulate the engine running.
100_5161.jpg

Internal fins of the Primary Engine.
100_5162.jpg

A highlighter pen was the ideal size to help shape the core.
100_5163.jpg

This displays the lamination of the parts of the engine.
100_5164.jpg

Looking nice! There are four layers of paper to get a nice thickness.
100_5165.jpg

This is ready to install in the outer primary engine case. All edges painted silver accordingly.
100_5166.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Yes, I got the idea from Tirick's designs :bowdown:, specifically, the one of Luke Skywalker pilot from Star Wars. I just basically used the same techniques, and scaled it up to match the Interceptor's scale. I made a standing and a seated version. I will be doing a section just on the pilot's build at the end of this build. It's a project in itself.
Like I mentioned, you did a GREAT JOB on the figure. We are going to be hosting TIrick's figures. If you are interested, I would like to encourage you to upload your figure to the resource section. As you may know, I designed figures for both BSG and Buck Rogers based on TIrick's figures as well. I am planning on designing a few others (like Space 1999 and "V" The Series).

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Like I mentioned, you did a GREAT JOB on the figure. We are going to be hosting TIrick's figures. If you are interested, I would like to encourage you to upload your figure to the resource section. As you may know, I designed figures for both BSG and Buck Rogers based on TIrick's figures as well. I am planning on designing a few others (like Space 1999 and "V" The Series).

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
Thank you Rhaven! Yes, I would like to upload the figure of the UFO Interceptor pilot for sure!

I like the sound of what you are going to do with the other figures too! Nice!!

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Thank you Rhaven! Yes, I would like to upload the figure of the UFO Interceptor pilot for sure!

I like the sound of what you are going to do with the other figures too! Nice!!
If you need any help with it, please let me know. I am certain that Tirick will be quite happy with the fact that more people are adding to the already (albeit slow) growing collection of figures that are based on his idea.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Best I found in a quick search was from Garry Anderson's 1/24 scale..showing it would have to hinge from the center top...
1579623828422.png

But it would have been a good candidate for the drop-in cockpit like in the SA-43 Hammerhead from Space and Beyond., where the whole cockpit dropped down and attached to the ship.

Last edited:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Best I found in a quick search was from Garry Anderson's 1/24 scale..showing it would have to hinge from the center top...
View attachment 180703

But it would have been a good candidate for the drop-in cockpit like in the SA-43 Hammerhead from Space and Beyond., where the whole cockpit dropped down and attached to the ship.

I guess it's a very subjective thing? Everyone has there own opinion on it which is fine :yesyes:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I just think of 1 control interface pin being bent, and all of a sudden,short circuit, the computer fly by wire is all I/O'd up, on a ""drop in cock pit" interface set up. Gerry Anderson had "Rue Goldberg" syndrome on some of his stuff, the "Thunderbirds" being the most overly complicated..

Aren't the new big G.I. Joe's 1/12 scale? My Mom purchased me one around 25 years ago, on a whim and I remember that on the box, 1/12th scale was written.

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
I just think of 1 control interface pin being bent, and all of a sudden,short circuit, the computer fly by wire is all I/O'd up, on a ""drop in cock pit" interface set up. Gerry Anderson had "Rue Goldberg" syndrome on some of his stuff, the "Thunderbirds" being the most overly complicated..

Aren't the new big G.I. Joe's 1/12 scale? My Mom purchased me one around 25 years ago, on a whim and I remember that on the box, 1/12th scale was written.
Yes, I just checked and the new G.I. Joe's are about 3.75" in height, that is the 1/12 scale. It seems about 3.75" to 5" is the norm. That's the same size as the pilot I made for the model.

Reactions: zathros

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
View attachment 180703

That's an interesting clip of Space Above and Beyond! I totally don't remember that! There was so much imagination around at that time.

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
We are getting all our stuff packed for the move in the next day or so :sadno: I'm tryiing to make another post before I have to pack up my computer. It may be a while before I am able to post again. There is no Internet at the new place for the next 6 weeks or so :violin:.

Another Primary engine piece. The surround.
100_5167.jpg

Here's the engine surround part assembled. I put a nice little curve on each of the "tabs" to make it look nicer.
100_5168.jpg

The opening for the wiring for the LEDs.
100_5169.jpg

These additional shaped pieces provide a nice 3D solid shape to each of the tabs.
100_5170.jpg

It was necessary to add pieces of 1.00 mm plastic card to stop the LED lights from showing through the paper.
100_5172.jpg

Reflector(s) made from chrome cardboard. This disperses the light so it's not concentrated in small areas. The diameter of the tube I had to tweak a bit with some Tamiya 5.00mm masking tape. The inside of the engine had to be painted with matt black paint.
100_5173.jpg

There are 4 white LEDs to illuminate the Primary Engine running simulation. They were glued in place using the Hot-Glue Gun. It works great for that! thumbsup:yesyes: As mentioned before, it is better to add both wires for each LED (+ and -) to avoid issues with utilizing the LEDs for different power sources, and resistances.
100_5174.jpg

5 LEDs in total. One more in the center tube. This is a slide in unit that I left unglued for future modifications.
100_5175.jpg

Over to the body underside. This is the access area I created. I eventually opened up the sides too for additional equipment I added. Those tabs for the spine were not required so I removed them, shown here still in place.
100_5176.jpg

Piecing the rear parts together... very enjoyable!
100_5177.jpg

The scale allows for more detail to be added if desired. Again, more openings for wires, fibers, etc. The wood and pins are in place only until the glue dries, then are removed. They help the round part follow the correct contours.
100_5178.jpg

Ah, more fun stuff! The engine details!
100_5179.jpg

Engine details under construction!
100_5180.jpg

There is a fiber-optic in the engine area that is blue in color. Here it is being inserted into the drilled hole.
100_5181.jpg

The Thruster enclosures for each of the sides. The Thrusters provide braking for the Interceptor, and horizontal movement together with the Primary Engine.
100_5182.jpg

The rear of the Thrusters,
100_5183.jpg

Cardboard pieces to join to the main Thruster enclosure. This avoids unsightly flaps.
100_5184.jpg

I made these additional fixings for the Thrust enclosures. They enable a nice close, and accurate fit to the fuselage side. There is extra strength needed here that is not required on the small scale model.
100_5186.jpg

Same for the starboard side. Thin cereal-box cardboard is sufficient.
100_5187.jpg

Detail for the Thrusters. I used small panel pins to get a better look for the rivets shown here. They look okay just white when small scale, but not at the larger scale.
100_5189.jpg

That's it for another batch :Coffee:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
I'm going to attempt to add the final photos of the build. Life has been getting in the way big-time.

These provide braking for the Interceptor and reverse thrust.
100_5190.jpg

Had to add some additional strengthening here using a bit of card.
100_5191.jpg

100_5192.jpg

The nose looks like a drill chuck to me on the original. I added some plastic card strips to get a more 3D effect.
100_5193.jpg

I sprayed the strips silver.
100_5194.jpg

More of the engine detail being added.
100_5195.jpg

100_5196.jpg

The wiring for the engine
100_5197.jpg

100_5198.jpg

'

100_5199.jpg

100_5200.jpg

Nuclear Missile Build:

I used a large plastic medicine bottle for the central shape of the missile. The large 30 day supply bottle type ;)
100_5201.jpg

100_5202.jpg

Laminating the front and back of the missile to get the stepping effect.
100_5203.jpg

The node piece ready for gluing into place.
100_5205.jpg

More work on the landing gear.
100_5210.jpg

100_5211.jpg

Pinning into place to allow the glue to dry. Afterwards the holes are filled with a small dab of glue.
100_5212.jpg

Quite a lot of work getting the nose to look right but here it is finally. I added a piece of plastic irrigation tubing from the Home Depot to allow the missile to plug-in nicely.
100_5213.jpg

More work on the undercarriage.
100_5216.jpg