TOS Battlestar Galactica, Revell-Monogram rebox with lights...

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
They sell string lights, usually 10 or 12 lights and a 2 AA battery box. I was actually mistaken, mine were from Hobby Lobby, $6.99 at Easter time, bought when they were on 80% off clearance. But Dollar try does have some, my local one has orange tinted Halloween ones now.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
They sell string lights, usually 10 or 12 lights and a 2 AA battery box. I was actually mistaken, mine were from Hobby Lobby, $6.99 at Easter time, bought when they were on 80% off clearance. But Dollar try does have some, my local one has orange tinted Halloween ones now.
I will have to look into that. Thank you!!!

micahrogers

Staff member
Just for information,
20200926_174441_resized.jpg
miniaturization at work, the 'grain of wheat' bulb on the right, was considered small in the 90's.
The LED on the left is the Hobby lobby Easter string light, with all the add on bits removed. They come in a chain of 20, solid wire with lacquered insulation.
The 'grain of wheat' bulb takes 6v to light, the LED lights on 3v.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, I remember those. Yesterday I was looking at Christmas string lights and thought how cheap those have become. Today you get 20 LEDs (pre-wired!) for the price you paid for one (with feet only, no wires!) twenty years ago.

Mightymax

I will be following this with great interest. I have been putting away some different dollar tree sets I pick up during different holidays to try to cheaply light up a model. I am a big Galactica fan so your Battlestar build is a bonus!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
This is a neat old kit. With your painting skills, you're going to have quite a model to display. ;)

Mightymax

Yep, I remember those. Yesterday I was looking at Christmas string lights and thought how cheap those have become. Today you get 20 LEDs (pre-wired!) for the price you paid for one (with feet only, no wires!) twenty years ago.

If you go to Dollar Tree just don't look for string lights. They also usually have necklaces and hairbands with LED lights inside the shaped bob's on the necklace.
These are very easy to disassemble to remove the lights, wiring, and battery clips with switches....

Cheers
Max Bryant

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hope they sell these also in the Netherlands..

Good luck (seriously! :) ). Your best chances are ebay and special etailers, maybe it's sitting in a dark corner of some store, waiting to come out of hiding. These kits were released in 1979 and 1997. A special edition of three of the four original kits featuring accurized parts was released in 2007. Needless to say, they can be pretty pricey these days.

This website gives a great overview on many plastic model kits:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6028-battlestar-galactica--325224

I'm still looking for a Monogram Buck Rogers Starfighter kit which is affordable. That one is pretty scarce because there was only one run in 1979. ;)

Last edited:

micahrogers

Staff member
Now it looks like its time for Marcel to find where these LEDs are at in the EU...

Mightymax

Good luck (seriously! :) ). Your best chances are ebay and special etailers, maybe it's sitting in a dark corner of some store, waiting to come out of hiding. These kits were released in 1979 and 1997. A special edition of three of the four original kits featuring accurized parts was released in 2007. Needless to say, they can be pretty pricey these days.

This website gives a great overview on many plastic model kits:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6028-battlestar-galactica--325224

I'm still looking for a Monogram Buck Rogers Starfighter kit which is affordable. That one is pretty scarce because there was only one run in 1979. ;)
The Starfighter was actually released twice. The Monogram initial release then a few years later Takara of Japan did a limited run...

Cheers
Max Bryant

Last edited:

micahrogers

Staff member
We like added info. :cool: The Mobius TOS Galactica is the most accurate kit, but it is hard to find too.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
However, it boggles the mind that they have done such a good job in capturing all the detail and proportions in general but on the other hand screwed up big time on the Mörser Karl parts (which are the most prominent details on the landing bays) and the font used for the name plate decal. These two issues could have easily avoided because there are countless closeups of them in each episode. Ah well. :)

Last edited: