To be somewhat Enterprising....

Chuffy70

Forgive the pun, but do you get any warping or other issues when you install lighting into your models?

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Not really. I use low voltage LEDs. The biggest issue is when you cut through the internal structures for wiring it sometimes weakens the structure a bit. Occasionally mounting the LED can be slight challenge, but nothing a bit of card and super-glue can't solve :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
where do you source your LEDs from?... I just use Dollar-Tree sets, but they can be too small.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Lumens is what matters with LEDS, not their size. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Rasio Shack is now out of business. They slowly sold off all their electronic components, and found they had nothing else to offer and went out of business. What a dumb a$$ company. You used to be able to go to Radio SHack, buy speakers, woofers, and mid ranges, and make fantastic sounding speakers. They had booklets on how to make power supplies, and ust about anything else for $5 bucks, and stocked all the parts. If they had become interested in 3D printing, they could have sold kits, and cornered the market, but they're gone, any left try to sell you crappy Apple sell phones, but I haven't seen one in years. What a bunch of maroons At one time they had 8" full range speakers, paired with a piezo-electric tweeter, you cold make a tapered 1/4 wave tube that sounded like $3000 dollar speakers for $150 bucks. That price included everything, including the wood. The speakers were actually made by Pioneer. Truly a great loss.

Parts-Express is really the only go to component place for DIY, and they have superb quality stuff. ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
@THE DC , I print the same parts on the thinnest paper I can get, and then "cut a patch" where I need to cover a gap or get a part to match an edge.

The problem I had was the edges of the upper half wouldn't extend to the edge of the card which formed the saucer's base, hence I patched the edges to hide the card.

ennder

Rasio Shack is now out of business. They slowly sold off all their electronic components, and found they had nothing else to offer and went out of business. What a dumb a$$ company. You used to be able to go to Radio SHack, buy speakers, woofers, and mid ranges, and make fantastic sounding speakers. They had booklets on how to make power supplies, and ust about anything else for $5 bucks, and stocked all the parts. If they had become interested in 3D printing, they could have sold kits, and cornered the market, but they're gone, any left try to sell you crappy Apple sell phones, but I haven't seen one in years. What a bunch of maroons At one time they had 8" full range speakers, paired with a piezo-electric tweeter, you cold make a tapered 1/4 wave tube that sounded like $3000 dollar speakers for $150 bucks. That price included everything, including the wood. The speakers were actually made by Pioneer. Truly a great loss.

Parts-Express is really the only go to component place for DIY, and they have superb quality stuff. ;)

Radio Shack sold most of their stores and went to an online market place. They sell a lot of stuff now.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Didn't know that, Thanks!! I use Parts Expres these days. I can get good drivers for speakers I design. I'll have to check out the Radio Shack website. they used to be such a great place for DIY's. They didn't know what they had or how to market what they had. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Nice to hear you still design your own speakers. Soon I have to start designing speakers for my kids when they have there own place. Two times 5.1 surround is the minimum setup.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That last set of speakers I designed were tapered 1/4 wave tubes. Internal dimensions were 14" wide, 12" inches deep on bottom, 4" inches deep on top 12" inches wide, 6 feet high. Side profile was a right sided triable, with speakers mounted on side adjacent (vertical side). I used a set of Pioneer BF20s, which has a Fs (Resonant Frequency) of 29 Hz. I have a Miller Kreisel subwoofver dual coil that goes down to 17 hz. I used Piezo Electric tweeters as they created their own capacitive feed back, which acts as a low frequency filter, so no crossover is necessary. This produces very holographic speakers, with the left and right stereo being the same as the front to back holography. They produce a beautiful sound bubble, and when you are in it, the sound is awesome. With live recordings, you can hear where the recording speakers were placed, and the performers voices. :)