Thunder Fighter: MK-III ADVANCE (1:50 scale)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The whole scene would have made much more sense if they had used the TF which was a 2-seater from the start. However, if you assume the 2-seated Viper had already been in service at the time of BSG the scene also would not have made much sense since Apollo was referring to HIS Viper which clearly was a single seater. They should have rather gone with Adama's proposal to take a shuttle (which would also provide a means of transferring injured people and refugees from the surface) and have Apollo lead a Viper squad for protection.

How Carillon could explode at the end of the episode due to some local arson is another thing which is veeeeery far fetched. If you think about it the planet would have been gone long before the Colonials arrived. Yaknow, desert planet, low humidity, there must have been sand storms causing lighting and fires on occasion which would have doomed the planet's fate instantly. And of course the planet would have been much smaller than it seemed and consist only of mining caves which in essence would have turned it into a Swiss cheese. Too many weird things going on.... Ah well, let's avoid thinking about it. Did I mention how much I like the laser sounds during the space fights - Uh, oh.....! :bulgeeye: :noteeth: :drinksmile: :smoker:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I wholeheartedly agree with you! The original Thunder Fighter is a very beautiful plane. It would have been interesting to have seen the TF as the Viper.\

We are of the same mindset, I like the modified Thunderfighter, but the original is my favorite. The X-29 and the Su-47 Berkut by Sukhoi are lovely planes, and both were very maneuverable, but then, as now, the limiting factor on maneuverability is the meat package inside, not the airframe.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
We are of the same mindset, I like the modified Thunderfighter, but the original is my favorite. The X-29 and the Su-47 Berkut by Sukhoi are lovely planes, and both were very maneuverable, but then, as now, the limiting factor on maneuverability is the meat package inside, not the airframe.
Too right you are!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Love the cockpit, RF!
I've always liked your detailing work. I do it too, but not to the level you do!:)
Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement. I have to say that you are one of the models builders who has always inspired me to add the detail work, and to try my hand at new techniques.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Ok, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and all other assorted creatures (both human and not); it is time for another update.

I have moved on to the body's internal formers and supports. Now, with this, I decided to take a page from the notebook of a friend (and fellow member) @silveroxide (who when he built his TF, he laminated the formers to add additional strength). Now, I know that I really do not need the added strength in this model (mostly because of its size and scale). However, I figured, since I am building it, that I would give it a go and see just how it will work out. All of the formers were laminated to (roughly) 1mm thick (I used the cardboard from old cereal boxes).

The formers are in place.
20210128_121902.jpg

The rear engine skins were attached.
20210128_135802.jpg

Here are the wings. Now, unlike the original (i.e. the main one/two seat, HBB and quad) version (where the wings are just placed on the sides to cover the seam of the rear section of the engines), these forward swept wings (FSW) have an internal former/mounting piece. I laminated standard cardstock on both sides so that the mounting piece is more "centered". I have also recessed the vents and the three ovals that are on either side of the back end of the wings.
20210129_074427.jpg

The internal former/mounting pieces are in the wings.
20210129_085003.jpg

20210129_085028.jpg

The wings are in place.
*NOTE* Please pay special attention to the instructions when putting the wings in place.
20210129_090331.jpg

20210129_090351.jpg

These are the internal formers for the lower rear section. Normally, there are only three pieces. I have split each in half and laminated them to (roughly) 1mm. This will give added support to the lower rear section.
20210129_091511.jpg

The formers are in place. You should attach the front end of the rear bottom panel (part 247) before placing the formers. Otherwise, the panel tabs will not sit right.
If you look closely, I have placed two of the longer formers just on either side of the hole for the cockpit tub.
20210129_092117.jpg

The rear bottom panel is secured.
20210129_092506.jpg

Both the top body half and the bottom body half are attached.
20210130_193946.jpg

20210130_194015.jpg

Please say tune to your local Earth Directorate broadcasting channels for more updates.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It always amuses me to look at the two halves lying next to each other on the cutting mat. It looks like you were assembling two models, but then shortly thereafter the halves are combined and form (only) ONE fuselage ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Great progress, realy like this design. And black version you did receantly too. :)

Added strength never hurts. Especialy if builder plans to add plenty of details, like you always dothumbsup. I rather overdoo the internal structures than find out later in the build it is insuficient (lesson I learnt the hard way)

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Great progress, realy like this design. And black version you did receantly too. :)

Added strength never hurts. Especialy if builder plans to add plenty of details, like you always dothumbsup. I rather overdoo the internal structures than find out later in the build it is insuficient (lesson I learnt the hard way)
The neat thing is these can be customized and detailed in pretty much any way you want.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
It always amuses me to look at the two halves lying next to each other on the cutting mat. It looks like you were assembling two models, but then shortly thereafter the halves are combined and form (only) ONE fuselage ;)
If Rhaven wanted to he could start his own Thunder Fighter production line. He probably already holds the world record for the number of Thunder Fighters built by one person!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
If Rhaven wanted to he could start his own Thunder Fighter production line. He probably already holds the world record for the number of Thunder Fighters built by one person!
It is funny that you mention how many TFs I have built over time. Here is a photo of the collection that I had when I was in Eastern Europe. With the exception of the back center (which is a scratch build), all of these were test builds.
Thunderfighter_Squadron.JPG

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
It is funny that you mention how many TFs I have built over time. Here is a photo of the collection that I had when I was in Eastern Europe. With the exception of the back center (which is a scratch build), all of these were test builds.
View attachment 191384
Awesome! I love the back center one. What's the story being that one? Is that the one you built for your Mom?

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Awesome! I love the back center one. What's the story being that one? Is that the one you built for your Mom?
Actually, the one that is front and second to the right was the one that I made for my mum. The back center one was a scratch build that I did to see what it would look like if I put forward swept wings on it. after I had built it, @Revell-Fan suggested that we make an "add-on" kit of it for the @Martin Saenger kit (hence the MK-III (FSW) version).

Reactions: micahrogers

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Actually, the one that is front and second to the right was the one that I made for my mum. The back center one was a scratch build that I did to see what it would look like if I put forward swept wings on it. after I had built it, @Revell-Fan suggested that we make an "add-on" kit of it for the @Martin Saenger kit (hence the MK-III (FSW) version).
I have the feeling your Mom is immensely proud of you!

The MK-III is a great design especially the scratch built one.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I have the feeling your Mom is immensely proud of you!

The MK-III is a great design especially the scratch built one.
Thank you! I make the one for my mum as a memorial for her. With that being said, if she were still alive when I had made it, I know that she would have loved it. She greatly enjoyed both BSG and Buck Rogers (hence the TF in BSG livery).