Thunder Fighter: MK-III ADVANCE (1:50 scale)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I decided to try my hand to making this version of the Thunder Fighter in 1:50 scale. This version is a fan-based design that @Revell-Fan and I came up with The wings and canards are from the X-29. The vertical stabilizers from the HBB version of the Thunder Fighter that have been redesigned, slightly.

mk3a.jpg

Starting with the cockpit interior, here are the seats. I raised the buckle hardware.
20210124_220327.jpg

20210124_220344.jpg

Here is the cockpit tub. I raised the control panels.
20210126_094738.jpg

20210126_094751.jpg

20210126_094830.jpg

I recessed the control screen on this joystick mount.
20210126_095236.jpg

The rear seat is in.
20210126_095541.jpg

The front seat is in.
20210126_095724.jpg

The rear control panel is in place. I recessed the view screens and raised the controls and gauges.
20210126_100211.jpg

The cockpit interior is done (for now).
20210126_100258.jpg

20210126_100317.jpg

There is more to come! So please say tune to your local Earth Directorate broadcasting channels for more updates.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
I decided to try my hand to making this version of the Thunder Fighter in 1:50 scale. This version is a fan-based design that @Revell-Fan and I came up with The wings and canards are from the X-29. The vertical stabilizers from the HBB version of the Thunder Fighter that have been redesigned, slightly.

View attachment 191211

Starting with the cockpit interior, here are the seats. I raised the buckle hardware.
View attachment 191212

View attachment 191213

Here is the cockpit tub. I raised the control panels.
View attachment 191216

View attachment 191217

View attachment 191218

I recessed the control screen on this joystick mount.
View attachment 191219

The rear seat is in.
View attachment 191220

The front seat is in.
View attachment 191221

The rear control panel is in place. I recessed the view screens and raised the controls and gauges.
View attachment 191222

The cockpit interior is done (for now).
View attachment 191223

View attachment 191224

There is more to come! So please say tune to your local Earth Directorate broadcasting channels for more updates.
Excellent detailing!

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
I am just a plain Jane season one Thunderfighter, that ship is a beauty. I'll never understand why they redesigned the viper, when they had this design first.
I think it had to do with more keeping the designs and identities of the shows separate. @Rhaven Blaack probably can give you a much better and detailed answer on that one. Both the Colonial Viper and Thunder Fighter were designed by Ralph McQuarrie of Star Wars fame. And John Dykstra was the person behind the SFX for BattlestarGalactica, also of Star Wars fame.

Reactions: micahrogers

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I am just a plain Jane season one Thunderfighter, that ship is a beauty. I'll never understand why they redesigned the viper, when they had this design first.
I wholeheartedly agree with you! The original Thunder Fighter is a very beautiful plane. It would have been interesting to have seen the TF as the Viper. Interesting note. In the script for the pilot episode "Saga of a Star World", Apollo offers to take Adama down to Caprica in his Viper. Now, that line was written when the design of the TF was still being considered, and before the current Viper was finalized. So, now people who watch the original show ask; "Since the Viper is a single seat plane, where did Adama sit when they went to Caprica"?

As for the design of this particular TF that I am working on now. I have always liked the forward swept wing configuration of the X-29. So, when I had discovered the original paper model template for the TF, I decided to have some fun and see just what the TF would look like with that kind of wing configuration. The after I started working with @Revell-Fan in making the other canon variants of the TF (i.e. HBB and the QUAD, as well as the cockpit interiors and landing gear), he offered to help me bring this version to life.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
I wholeheartedly agree with you! The original Thunder Fighter is a very beautiful plane. It would have been interesting to have seen the TF as the Viper. Interesting note. In the script for the pilot episode "Saga of a Star World", Apollo offers to take Adama down to Caprica in his Viper. Now, that line was written when the design of the TF was still being considered, and before the current Viper was finalized. So, now people who watch the original show ask; "Since the Viper is a single seat plane, where did Adama sit when they went to Caprica"?

As for the design of this particular TF that I am working on now. I have always liked the forward swept wing configuration of the X-29. So, when I had discovered the original paper model template for the TF, I decided to have some fun and see just what the TF would look like with that kind of wing configuration. The after I started working with @Revell-Fan in making the other canon variants of the TF (i.e. HBB and the QUAD, as well as the cockpit interiors and landing gear), he offered to help me bring this version to life.
Maybe there could be a 2-seat Colonial viper we didn't get to see in the series. A two-seater would make sense from a military standpoint. You have the pilot and a systems operator to go along with him.

Reactions: micahrogers

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Maybe there could be a 2-seat Colonial viper we didn't get to see in the series. A two-seater would make sense from a military standpoint. You have the pilot and a systems operator to go along with him.
Actually, there is a two seat Viper. It was featured in Galactica 1980.
Two-Seated_Viper_Full-Sized_Mockup_01.jpg

@Revell-Fan has plans to make a model of this version as well.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
"Since the Viper is a single seat plane, where did Adama sit when they went to Caprica"?
That is something I have always been wondering myself. Even when I was little I just couldn't see where Adama would have fit inside UNLESS he was sitting on Apollo's lap or hidden behind his seat like some sort of cargo, pretty much crouched together. I chose to believe the latter and it would be very interesting to see a cross-section showing that option. Maybe he was hidden inside a "trunk" that was always be there to store a space suit or emergency rations straight below the canopy piston. He surely would have had a difficult time stretching his legs out and breathing properly. :sticktongue: "Galactica 1980" offered another possibility (aside from the second seat): A storage room between the engines. But then, where would all the drive tech be if not exactly in that space?

We need to figure out a way so @Revell-Fan can be a full-time modeler.
We need to put up a pipeline. I'm pretty fast with SketchUp, so the modeling and unfolding is mine. Then we'll need someone making the texture, another one for test-building (Rhaven) and then one for making the instructions. I have so many things on my list keeping us occupied for several years. ;) :D

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That is something I have always been wondering myself. Even when I was little I just couldn't see where Adama would have fit inside UNLESS he was sitting on Apollo's lap or hidden behind his seat like some sort of cargo, pretty much crouched together. I chose to believe the latter and it would be very interesting to see a cross-section showing that option. Maybe he was hidden inside a "trunk" that was always be there to store a space suit or emergency rations straight below the canopy piston. He surely would have had a difficult time stretching his legs out and breathing properly. :sticktongue: "Galactica 1980" offered another possibility: A storage room between the engines. But then, where would all the drive tech be if not exactly in that space?
I have to say that I thought of the very same thing, when I first saw that. My mum and I talked about it for hours. We came to the same conclusion.