The Rum-Runner - Oldtimer Pickup Truck Paper Model

mauther

Sep 18, 2007
Sao Paulo-Brazil
rum-runner%20truck%20papercraft%20via%20papermau%20001.JPG

This model draft was created in Sketchup, just the basic lines, which was then "disassembled" in Pepakura Designer and then properly worked on, receiving textures, tabs and small corrections in MsPaint.

During the Prohibition era in the United States (1920-1933), when the production, sale, and transportation of alcoholic beverages were prohibited, illegal transportation of alcohol often involved creative and covert methods.

The vehicles used to transport illegal drinks across the U.S. border were commonly referred to as "rum-runners" or "bootleggers."

rum-runner%20truck%20papercraft%20via%20papermau%200012.jpg

Link: The Rum-Runner - Oldtimer Pickup Truck Paper Model - by Papermau

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Thats a amazing looking pick up. And a good historical lesson. Thank you for making the template.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I have already seen it on your blog. This is gorgeous! Thank you very much for sharing! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That pick up is absolutely gorgeous!! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Nice model, and thanks for the plans. My grandfather was rumored to be a bootlegger in south Mississippi into the early 50's. Alcohol was still illegal in many counties in Mississippi until the early 2000s.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thanks much for sharing this!

When i was investigating a cold case, an ol' timer who's been around during the days of Prohibition shared that you knew the rum-runners by their car height...Bootleggers would increase the spring tensions, raising their cars higher, to compensate for the weight of the bootleg that they would later load into the vehicle during a rum-run! When they were not hauling the heavy loads, they sat high as they ran around in normal use!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I could see that truck with the top lowered and the body channelled. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
When the borders between European states were still controlled smuggling cigarettes and alcohol was pretty common. However, in the rural regions around my hometown they even transferred food and especially potatoes from Germany to the Netherlands and vice versa. There were secret passages across the woods which later became well-known walking routes. Some of them are still known under their old nicknames like the "Vredener Footpättken" ("Small Road to Vreden") or the "Kartoffel-Weg" ("Potato alley"). The smugglers used bikes with hollowed out frames and boots with their soles mounted on backwards. :)