The "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Part #2

Doctor G

Putting the finishing touches on the mini logging layout.
I painted the river and stream bottoms and their shorelines using acrylic paints.
R4hJs1J.jpg

qlNa0Rx.jpg

Using an interesting product Dave Frary liked called “ModPodge” I applied the river and stream surface using a fan brush.
vJ8ETJe.jpg

LwaetkU.jpg

Following are pictures of the completed streams and river.
5Rw0whD.jpg

eY0T3zl.jpg

aoZukgR.jpg

I would appreciate your comments on this product / technique and if you have ever used it to create river and stream scenes.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
It looks very nice! I always found Modpodge to remail a bit soft and slightly sticky ( used it over decals and images on board or woodworks). I always used a casting resin in 3 layers minimum, tinting each layer from dark to light with a hint of green and blue, up to a clear top coat... Adds a great deal of depth but is messy and takes a long time, as well as a risk that it will warp from the heat produced and pull your layout apart. As far as your technique, apart from the lack of visual depth ( judging by the pix here), the effect is virtually the same with a great deal less work or mess!!

Doctor G

It looks very nice! I always found Modpodge to remail a bit soft and slightly sticky ( used it over decals and images on board or woodworks). I always used a casting resin in 3 layers minimum, tinting each layer from dark to light with a hint of green and blue, up to a clear top coat... Adds a great deal of depth but is messy and takes a long time, as well as a risk that it will warp from the heat produced and pull your layout apart. As far as your technique, apart from the lack of visual depth ( judging by the pix here), the effect is virtually the same with a great deal less work or mess!!
Yes, it is not so messy. Particularly with the water effect at the very edge of the mini layout I elected to hold off on the casting resin. I have like you successfully use the casting resin in the past. Doc Tom

Bill Nelson

I have used acrylic gloss medium , which is similar to Modpodge in the past. On my big river , my riverboat would stick to it, so I’m going to use epoxy on my new big river.

Doctor G

One of the fun parts of modeling in On30 is the "mini scenes" you can do with lots and lots of details.

Well the steam locomotives need a lot of cut wood to do their work......so a mini scene on the mini logging layout.

O7AdtX2.jpg

fqRe1mZ.jpg

GFJOh8S.jpg

FKqI9KU.jpg

Thanks for looking.
bigeyes_125.gif
Doc Tom