The "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Part #2

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Had to go back and click on all the "Likes" I'd missed! :)

Doctor G

Got the water...now we need the fire to = STEAM
propeller_125.gif

So the boys worked all day cutting and stacking and loading firewood.

GAWGcUH.jpg

N5uDqTB.jpg

Even these little Porter steamers require a lot of care and feeding.
shake_125.gif

tpY7Bnd.jpg

Fortunately, there is a lot of wood around to keep everything moving.
icon_smile_approve.gif

Thanks for looking in. Doc Tom

Doctor G

It is getting hot here in Clarksville Tennessee. To beat the heat I head to the air conditioned train shed out in the back yard. A great way to feel even cooler is to plant some "winter trees" on the micro layout.

mPEOvn4.jpg

And then do em' up in B&W for more of a frosty cold look.

PkFjVy6.jpg

T7Z0sFl.jpg

Here is an overall look see at the "Woods" side of the little layout as of today.

3PHtp2D.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you are staying cool.
icon_smile_big.gif

Doc Tom

Doctor G

Over on the "Rail Camp" side of the mini layout Big Boss Man is showing off his latest creation shoe horned in to the RC Campus.

For the enjoyment of his hard working crew he has put in a "two holer" facility.

edhVQzH.jpg

While no running water there is kerosene lighting to help with those nighttime and early AM urgencies and emergencies.

Iy8hDyN.jpg

Doc Tom

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Geez Doc, I have quite a few loads of wood for you to drag away!! :)

Doctor G

Larry started out his LP life as a Woodland Scenics jack hammer operator. With a little work and some paint he was transformed in to Larry the Log Loader, the fireman on the vertical boiler Climax.

Ok7Qlx7.jpg

t3He8ej.jpg

The little figure adds a bit of detail to the back end of the ancient climax.

0hRklHi.jpg

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Doctor G

We are back in business! This summer my old railroad shed gave up the ghost and became termite city.

0Els9vK.jpg

KxnPcHH.jpg

y5ynvQP.jpg

We tore it down and prepared for a new mini train house.
RMuoyNG.jpg

The Amish/Mennonites from the area in Kentucky in which I work built a new train house that was sledded into a position.
Y09mnW7.jpg

szKiEiw.jpg

We have finished off the interior with heating and cooling, track lighting, sheet rock walls painted a light blue sky color, small fridge for thirsty railroaders, and flooring.

Today was move-in day and the On30 mini layouts fit nicely. Both the Kentucky winter logging outfit and the Haitian sugar train layout have new digs.

lMjsMYC.jpg

03WipUB.jpg

OibiWfT.jpg

kgp4RYO.jpg

In a couple of weeks I will be back to modeling at the workbench and hope to continue with more railroad themed creations.

Doc Tom

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Wow!! What a nice place!! I'd love to see that layout! :)

Doctor G

I have been doing a little more modeling recently.

The “Original Kittom Lumber Company” is an attempt to recreate the early steam technology used in logging circa 1910. So when I read about the Kilgore Log loader in the 2017 On30 Annual I new I had to build one. Here is the patent from 1890.

UukpkUZ.png

Steam powered pistons moved the hoist up and down and a rack moved by steam pressure rotated the hoist on a geared wheel. Pretty primitive but it worked.

Here is an advertisement for the Kilgore loader.

Yp9FioA.jpg

I purchased a kit of the model from Silver City Models and built it up.

3XdGJa5.jpg

Here is "the inner workings" that are hidden by the wooden walls.

gBhRN2l.jpg

2VKwE1O.jpg

20 years after its patented design it is at work loading logs in the backwoods of Kentucky.

jMcI9LY.jpg

yD2Wg26.jpg

C784fSi.jpg

propeller_125.gif

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You could put these pictures all together and make a picture story. You just need come up with a story. One of those buildings should have a "Still" in it, with some guys making Moonshine! :)

Doctor G

Hi Zathros. Thanks for the nod. I am hoping to put together a short video story about the RR in the future. I will consider modeling a moonshine still:toast:thumbsup.

Doctor G

In keeping with the theme of primitive logging equipment I felt it was time to weather the old Class A Climax to have it look like it too had been around a bit.

pxC9L25.jpg

ZasTccy.jpg

2zsVvcg.jpg

Px3K2es.jpg

Bill Nelson

Tom, I found a mostly complete scratchbuilt Twetsee hopper car. Somewhere I have lumber samples to more easily cut the needed wood on my tablesaw. This is a tad larger than the cars I’m building in On3; do you want this?

E5BBFFB8-0E47-47CA-8A7B-0CE45F4DB4CB.jpeg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is some formidable craftmanship! Holy moly, it looks awesome! :)

Doctor G

Hello Bill. Good to hear from you! Yes I can certainly use that hopper car. When I complete the backwoods logging layout I will start on the ET&WNC layout in good ole On30. Thanks for thinking of me.

Bill Nelson

cleaning up the workbench today, spring break, Yay!! Jennifer has been in Houston to get her folks straightened up medically, back tomorrow, and then off next weekend to a medical conference. putting stuff up in the closet I found a sandwitch bag full of examples of the boards I used to build the hopper car. Much easier to use a board to set up the saw than try to do it with the calipers and scale drawings, so you get this car, and we can set up the mini table saw, and cut you the lumber you need to make as many as you want. grant line stake boards, with the cast in bo;t detail would save a lot of work if they fit right. likely they are made for D&RG W high side gons.