The Little River Rail Road in Doc Tom's Back Yard

Bill Nelson

It looks good Tom. did it det some dull coat or something, I don't see any shinny plastic look there at all anymore. Much better.

Bill

Doctor G

Dull surface and more Piccies

It looks good Tom. did it det some dull coat or something, I don't see any shinny plastic look there at all anymore. Much better.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Glad you like the look. I was actually thinking of our previous discussions regarding 1920's logging equipment and locomotives. We talked about used rather than abused in respect to what the locomotives looked like in the 1920's. My LRRR is set about 1925. The builders plate on the Shay says "July 1,1917" so I set my mind to limit the rust on an eight year old locomotive. A review of several websites on weathering reported that heavily rusted locomotives were rarely in service (always exceptions I know) and were more than likely sitting on the scrap tracks waiting to be cut up. So rust on this locomotive is only seen on the couplers ,a few of the NBW's on the pilots, sparingly on the trucks and on the fire box.

The decals were over sprayed with VALSPAR transparent dull coating from Lowe's (Probably the same stuff as Dull Kote). This was then followed by my dilute alcohol and india ink wash. The AI kills the sheen of new plastic and some of the starch (which makes Dull Kote dull) in the over spray is precipitated out giving the overall dusty look.

Very carefully I dry brushed the trucks with a mix of light gray, white and a light brown.

Because this beast is so big all this took place over a 10 day period.

Here are a few more piccies of the "wrong side" of # 2147. Note the water siphon hose.

Doc Tom

Attachments

• Shay Extra.jpg
    Shay Extra.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Shay Extra 2.jpg
    Shay Extra 2.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 8

Doctor G

The Trestle at Straka Falls

Down grade from Three Prongs the Little River Rail Road crosses a small "holler" fed by the creek at Straka Falls. This is the second trestle Boss Crumb and his boys have had to build for the line. How many more???

Well, for now they are taking a break and posing for some pictures of their creation.

Hope you like the pictures.
Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• Straka Falls A800.jpg
    Straka Falls A800.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Straka Falls 1800.jpg
    Straka Falls 1800.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Straka Falls 2800.jpg
    Straka Falls 2800.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Straka Falls 3800.jpg
    Straka Falls 3800.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Straka Falls 4800.jpg
    Straka Falls 4800.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 63

S class

nice bridges Bill and Tom, are any of them going to be over water courses? or was Tennessee in the grips of a drought in 1925?

Doctor G

Water Courses

nice bridges Bill and Tom, are any of them going to be over water courses? or was Tennessee in the grips of a drought in 1925?
Hi S class,

Glad you liked the early trestle work. Yes the Little River itself runs through the center of this garden layout. Here is a picture of a bridge across it upstream.

I hope to save up the $'s to put real water in it in the future. I don't recall a bad drought in Tennessee in 1925 but there sure is one now.

Instead of making furnace filter and polyfiber model trees like I did back in the HO days now I have to daily water the dwarf Alberta Spruce to keep up the green look.

Praying for rain here in modern day Tennessee.

Doc Tom

Attachments

• Bridge over Little River.jpg
    Bridge over Little River.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 8

Doctor G

Thanks for the rocks Bill and Dave

Mighty fine work Tom, and them is some good looking rocks!

Bill

Hi Bill,
Glad you liked the pictures. Thank you for helping with the rocks from your farm that are being put to good use building the mountains of the Smokies in Large scale.

Dave Straka was by the other day with a pickup load of rocks and fill for the mountain. Hence the name of Straka Falls for this second trestle. As you know the first trestle crosses Nelson's Gap in honor of your tremendous help.

Here is another shot from today's photo session with "Pee Wee", Larry and Ernie the brakeman up in the cab of Shay 2147 keeping an eye out for danger on the mainline.

Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• LRRR Shay cab.jpg
    LRRR Shay cab.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 65

Sawdust

Hey Tom just wanted to stop by & say hello. Way too much to comment on. You have come such a long way since I was last on here. You have done a beautiful job on the LRRR. I didn't look at the complete thread yet but will later. I'm a Moderator on another forum & have been busy over there. I'll stop back by to check some things out more later.:wave:

Doctor G

Hey Tom just wanted to stop by & say hello. Way too much to comment on. You have come such a long way since I was last on here. You have done a beautiful job on the LRRR. I didn't look at the complete thread yet but will later. I'm a Moderator on another forum & have been busy over there. I'll stop back by to check some things out more later.:wave:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the nice note. The LRRR has been a very interesting challenge in an entirely different scale and gauge.

What forum are moderating now??? I would be glad to see that site.

Doc Tom

Sawdust

Thanks Tom, I haven't done a whole lot on the saw mill or the coal mine projects with the exception of a small two stall engine house for the saw mill. I have been buying up a bunch of the old common silver Virginian coal cars from Bachman & Tyco to wprk on this winter. It looks like these cars came from the same moulds. These old ones detail up pretty good. I'll go ahead & post one of the cars. I have also been doing some work on some cabooses. My son Sawdust Jr won first prize in a model interior contest & I won the previous contest for a coal mine. I'm over on http://www.thewhistlepost.com/

Doctor G

Thanks Tom, I haven't done a whole lot on the saw mill or the coal mine projects with the exception of a small two stall engine house for the saw mill. I have been buying up a bunch of the old common silver Virginian coal cars from Bachman & Tyco to wprk on this winter. It looks like these cars came from the same moulds. These old ones detail up pretty good. I'll go ahead & post one of the cars. I have also been doing some work on some cabooses. My son Sawdust Jr won first prize in a model interior contest & I won the previous contest for a coal mine. I'm over on http://www.thewhistlepost.com/

Yes, The Whistle Post is a pretty good site. I have visited several times to get info on "large scale" G scale modeling. Congrats to your son on the nice diner interior.....very nice.

Sounds like you are getting ready for some nice model projects when winter hits. Looking forward to the pictures of the coal cars.
Doc Tom

Doctor G

New flat car and new spruce trees at Nelson's Gap

Hi

What a beautiful day outside today in the Smokies in Tennessee!!! My road crew was really goofing off and enjoying the three new dwarf Alberta Spruce trees up at Nelson's gap. They really got laid back on the deck of the new Little River Lumber flat car and had fun with a harmonica, pet dog and some interesting concoction in a can that lead to interesting behavior high above Nelson's Gap. Fortunately no injuries, and the crew will sober up and go back to work again this Monday.
Doc Tom:mrgreen:

Attachments

• Flat1800.jpg
    Flat1800.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Flat2800.jpg
    Flat2800.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Flat3800.jpg
    Flat3800.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 16

Doctor G

I just dropped in to see if this place was still alive. Nice tou see that you are still at it. :thumb:

Hi Mountain Man,

It is good to hear from you again.

I agree Zealot is a slow website and at times it seems that nothing is happening. I am not sure why that is. Other model RR sites I am on are usually packed with a variety of posts.

Several of my RR buddies at the club report tremendous difficulties just logging in to see posts. Not sure what that is all about either.

My back yard large scale adventure is taking place very slowly so maybe a slow site such as Zealot is best for showing the little increments of progress.

Thanks for looking and commenting. Doc Tom:wave:

Doctor G

#2147 gets a drink from its Siphon Hose

One of the things that is pretty neat about large scale railroad modeling is all the detail parts you get to play around with.

The Bachmann Shays come with a rather nice flexible siphon hose that hangs on the fireman's side of the locomotive.

I decided to set up a scene showing the crew siphoning up water from the Little River to fill its tender. The locomotive is parked on a log bridge and the hose has really got to stretch to get down to the low summer waters of the Little River.

Hope you like the pictures. Tom:wave:

Attachments

• siphon1800.jpg
    siphon1800.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 72
  • siphon2800.jpg
    siphon2800.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 14
  • siphon3800.jpg
    siphon3800.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 16

Bill Nelson

A H & D loader

Tom I have copied the material I have on the AH & D loader. and have your copy in my truck. haven't transferred the rocks yet, and that doesn't look like it will happen. I'll call you in the AM if I have enough gas in the tank to visit.

do you have a 1-22.3 scale rule, if so I can measure an Ho A H & D loader and transfer the dimensions to F scale. The wheels look like thy are double flanged, and we can make them by taking two 33 in HO plastic wheels and put them face to face, all we will need is axle material. I will be putting my thinking cap on for this one, Let's build a A H & D log loader together!.

Bill

Doctor G

Let's Build an AH&D loader

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your enthusiasm!!! I would appreciate your skills on this important project!!!

The scale is 1:20.3. 1 foot equals about 20 feet. Sorry I do not have a scale ruler for large scale 1:20.3.

Here is a thread on the AH&D I started on the Large Scale Central site.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=14091

It is a good site and feel to jump in and we can educate some other large scale modelers. Not too much activity here on Zealot for Large Scale.

I got the actual 1915 patent for the AH&D loader from advice on the LSC site.

I will try to attach it here or can send to you by email if it does not come through.

Looking forward to this project. These models are huge and packed with detail. Looking forward to the collaboration.

Doc Tom

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
The link didn't work for me, maybe the terrorists and/or Army are anti-logging or something. Could you put up a picture of what the beast will look like?

Tyler

Doctor G

The link didn't work for me, maybe the terrorists and/or Army are anti-logging or something. Could you put up a picture of what the beast will look like?

Tyler

Hi Tyler,
HAPPY NEW YEAR. We all are missing you and look forward to when you get back to Clarksvegas.

Large Scale Central is a forum I have joined to get help with building the Little River RR out in the back yard. So far they have been a very helpful and friendly bunch.

Here are pictures of an American Hoist and Derrick Log Loader I would like to build in 1:20.3 scale. Bill N. has graciously offered to help with its construction. As you know Bill has done a lot to get this RR going as well.

Keep SAFE.

Doc Tom

Attachments

• AH&D Log loader prototype LRRR.jpg
    AH&D Log loader prototype LRRR.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 63
  • AH&D log loader prototype.jpg
    AH&D log loader prototype.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
  • loader2.jpg
    loader2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48
  • loader3.jpg
    loader3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 63

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Doc Tom,

I've seen this sort of contraption before, can't recall where though. That would make for a very neat project and knowing both you and Bill's handywork it'll look (and maybe even work) fantastic. Are you planning to make it operable somehow?

On another note, so far things are pretty smooth here in Afghan. Not a lot of action to be seen here. Still no room for train progress and it looks like it's not going to happen. The only related thing I will be getting is some graph paper, a compass and a french curve so I can start doodling up some scale plans for the WRRy.

Thanks for the support guys!
Tyler