The Little River Rail Road in Doc Tom's Back Yard

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Great to see you're coming along nicely on the garden railroad. I really like the photography too, as with all the pics from your HO layout.

Tyler

Doctor G

Great to see you're coming along nicely on the garden railroad. I really like the photography too, as with all the pics from your HO layout.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Glad you liked the pictures. Model RR photography can be a hobby in its self.

Here is another shot of #1 drifting downgrade that I did with the "sepia" setting on my old iMac computer.

Dr Tom

Attachments

• sepia.jpg
    sepia.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 23

Quarryman

Hi Tom :thumb:
Just reading through your posts. I LIKE what I see, very nice.
Wished I had room for the large scale stuff.
100 degree temp, nice, we're freezing our backside off at the moment, c'mon Summer.

:wave::wave: Joe.

Doctor G

Hi Tom :thumb:
Just reading through your posts. I LIKE what I see, very nice.
Wished I had room for the large scale stuff.
100 degree temp, nice, we're freezing our backside off at the moment, c'mon Summer.

:wave::wave: Joe.

Hey Joe,

I am ready for a little "down under" cool down myself. It is miserable out. I can only putz with the Garden RR for 15-20 minutes at a time. An ice cold Fosters would sure be grand now!!!!

I really have a small back yard after moving in to town from the countryside. I am trying every trick in the photo book and using a great deal of "cropping" to make the RR look larger than it really is.

Large scale railroading is very interesting as you have to contend with all the issues the real RR's did. I am learning a lot.

Doc Tom

Doctor G

Nelson's Gap Trestle does not fall down.

Well it has been 104 degrees on the train shed thermometer today and way too hot to work so out came the camera for some in the sun shots of the new trestle spanning Nelson's Gap on the Little River Railroad a logging outfit in East Tennessee.

Since I got my fancy R/C Battery converted Shay back from the shops I was quite pleased that the bridge did not fall down under its weight. This being my first attempt at Large Scale Bridge building and all.

The highest bent is 22" from ground to stringer. The trestle is built coming off a slope with a 1.5% uphill grade to easily pass over trackage planned for in Nelson's Gap. 1:20.3 scale requires clearance of at least 12-14" from railhead to overhead track to allow a train to pass.

The curve is 10 foot radius (20'diameter) and had to be factored in to the grade and the trestle design. This has been a real relearning of geometry for me.

The repaired Shay now has about a 25-30 foot radio range and much better sound with a "crisper" sounding chuff and whistle. The exhaust bark even echoes off the back of the house when the train is pulling a grade ......very nice.

Hope you all like the pictures.

Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• Nelson's Gap 1.jpg
    Nelson's Gap 1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Nelson's Gap 2.jpg
    Nelson's Gap 2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Nelson's Gap 3.jpg
    Nelson's Gap 3.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Nelson's Gap 4.jpg
    Nelson's Gap 4.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Nelson's Gap 5.jpg
    Nelson's Gap 5.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 47

Doctor G

Beast spotted near Elkmont

The Beast is back!

it is looking good Tom! did the Shay get a bigger speaker?

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

No the same speaker is in place. Don Sweet after learning of local disastifaction with the sound downloaded the 35 ton Shay sounds from the Phoenix site and loaded them in. He then spent a lot of time with the brass triggering mechanism inside the the 3 cylinder motor to get each cylinder stroke to chuff separately. He did a good job and there is a definite improvement with a very clear sound and not the muffled drone it had previously.

Speaking of beasts check out this shot of the ground hog that lives near the LRRR. This picture was taken "in the woods" just before the turn out to Elkmont high in the Smokies.

We are thinking about naming him "Lars". Previous owners had tried to trap this guy without success and I found a huge trap near his "hole in the ground." when I cleaned up a bit at the back fence. Any way as long as he is not munching on track or trestle he can be my bud errr beast.

Attachments

• Beast.jpg
    Beast.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 14

S class

what pray tell is a ground hog exactly? I take it it's a rodent up there with unique North American wildlife like raccoons and beavers, but are there any uses for them and are they edible like rabbits (without mixy or colicie)?

Bill Nelson

what pray tell is a ground hog exactly? I take it it's a rodent up there with unique North American wildlife like raccoons and beavers, but are there any uses for them and are they edible like rabbits (without mixy or colicie)?

The Ground hog is actually a very close relative of the Beaver. Indeed if you can't see the tail, you will not be able to tell one from the other. the ground hog is basically a land beaver. best I can tell, rather than eating tree bark, they did arounf in the ground eating roots.

I have not heard of any specific uses for them, although in the early days when Beaver pelts were highly prized, I recon a groundhog pelt would have been quite similar.

I have not heard of any good ground hog recipes. Local farmers do however like to use the Groundhogs for target practice, not liking what they do to the fields.

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

More info on Ground HOGS

Hi S class,

I am enjoying this discussion about rodents and varmits. Here is what wikipedia has to say about these critters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

I am glad I read that article as it appears these critters do not like to eat large scale locomotives or the wooden trestles they operate on.

What part of this big world do you hale from? Is it Australia?

Ground Hog Lovers of America Association

Dr Tom:cool::cool:

Bill Nelson

coach ready!

I got the combine put together this afternoon. getting the tabs on the floor to line up and contact the contacts on the body was a ****, but I finally managed to get it done. the light switch is on the side of a crate on the stove side of the car, which can be accessed through the sliding baggage door.

I tried a coupe times this afternoon to get a satisfactory photo of the lighting effects, without anny success. but twilight in the fenced portion of my backyard (built originally to corral children, and now used to contain my Great Dane and St. Bernard l who are not smart enough to stay on the farm.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML A  LR GOMB W LGts.jpg
    SML A LR GOMB W LGts.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 10

Doctor G

I got the combine put together this afternoon. getting the tabs on the floor to line up and contact the contacts on the body was a ****, but I finally managed to get it done. the light switch is on the side of a crate on the stove side of the car, which can be accessed through the sliding baggage door.

I tried a coupe times this afternoon to get a satisfactory photo of the lighting effects, without anny success. but twilight in the fenced portion of my backyard (built originally to corral children, and now used to contain my Great Dane and St. Bernard l who are not smart enough to stay on the farm.

Bill Nelson

That is a nice looking combine Bill. It will be fun to get some night shots with it lit up and the headlight and firebox on the Shay glowing as well.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this project.

Doc Tom:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• 3459BaggageAppaClub.jpg
    3459BaggageAppaClub.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 85

Doctor G

Dr. Tom,

Once again I happen to spot some large scale stuff you may be interested in. This time it's on eBay, some track. I have no idea about if the price is right but here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170508621980&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Tyler
Hey Tyler,

Thanks for keeping those new "Eagle Eyes" on the hunt for large scale RR goodies.

That looks like aluminum flex track. Unfortunately asking price is a bit steep. He has 75' and is asking $225. That is about $3 a foot not including shipping.

Most "great deals" in used brass track go for about $1-$2 a foot. Also on the retail market brass comes in as "more expensive" track than aluminum. So used aluminum should be going for about .75 to $1.50 a foot to be a real deal.

I really appreciate you guys helping me out. Glad to look at any other finds you snag.

The Shay is back with a new crisper sound and for the first time in months NO ELECTRICAL GREMLINS. I will have to get you all over for another test run when it cools down a bit.

Doctor G

Night Time on the LRRR

Night Time on the Little River Rail Road

The boys took LRRR Combine #310 down the Southern RR to The Dead Grass Crooked Creek and Western to visit Mr Bill Nelson in the well known DGCC&W car shops.

The shop crew under the watchful eye of Mr Nelson repaired the aging wood combine and repainted it in a beautiful green varnish. New hardware was applied to the car, bringing it up to 1923 RRA standards.

The car shops removed all the kerosene lanterns and in a few decades these will be all the rage in the Tennessee antique shops. New fangled electrical lights were installed and management and the traveling public are really enjoying the improvements.

Here is a night time shot on a hot Tennessee night as Combine #310 takes a few travelers and empty gons upgrade to Elkmont. The new lighting is very visible as the train crosses Nelson Gap trestle. Who knows what further improvements await the Tennessee mountain folk.

Attachments

• night lrrr 1.jpg
    night lrrr 1.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 7
  • night lrrr 3.jpg
    night lrrr 3.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 9
  • night lrrr 4.JPG
    night lrrr 4.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 5
  • night lrrr 5.JPG
    night lrrr 5.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 4
  • night lrrr 2.jpg
    night lrrr 2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 5

Bill Nelson

The man and dog behind the baggage door made all the work with the LED lights worthwhile! it is just a shame that this car is 17 years old and has speent too much time outdoors, allowing the window glazing to yellow from UV light exposure or the seats would show real well. Oh well I can't complain, Emily and Forrester both played with this car, as did little Joey.

As I write this the Kalamazoo coach and combine are soaking in laundry detergent and very hot water in my laundry . Looking at the carbodies, I don't see any screws, so the floor and roof may be glued on. if the glue doesn't part easily, I will have to paint them in one piece . I'm hopping I can get them apart, which would simplify the painting process, and allow the possibility of interior detail. I'll have to play with these I'm a sucker for shorty passenger cars, so these are some of my favorate large scale cars. I retained a much nicer passenger car set, but oit was a close decision as to which one to part with.

pictures will follow, after I get thse cleaned up on the outside and get the pine needles out of the inside.

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

The man and dog behind the baggage door made all the work with the LED lights worthwhile! it is just a shame that this car is 17 years old and has speent too much time outdoors, allowing the window glazing to yellow from UV light exposure or the seats would show real well. Oh well I can't complain, Emily and Forrester both played with this car, as did little Joey.

As I write this the Kalamazoo coach and combine are soaking in laundry detergent and very hot water in my laundry . Looking at the carbodies, I don't see any screws, so the floor and roof may be glued on. if the glue doesn't part easily, I will have to paint them in one piece . I'm hopping I can get them apart, which would simplify the painting process, and allow the possibility of interior detail. I'll have to play with these I'm a sucker for shorty passenger cars, so these are some of my favorate large scale cars. I retained a much nicer passenger car set, but oit was a close decision as to which one to part with.

pictures will follow, after I get thse cleaned up on the outside and get the pine needles out of the inside.

Bill Nelson

Bill,
Glad you liked the pictures. Did you catch that the last one was done with a "night vision" infrared technique? Of course this was not available in 1923 but did come with my trusty Sony camera and I enjoy fooling with it from time to time. The infrared came in handy as I set up the camera on a tripod. It was so dark that I needed it to get the locomotive in the frame. Then I did the real slow shutter speeds to get the other pictures.

Thanks again for all the work on this nice car and what you are doing on the two "shorty" passenger coaches.

I was able to scratch up an operating coupler lift bar on one of the gons. It worked very well....could even uncouple on the "fly". Will now get some scale chain and do them up a little more prototypical. Pictures to follow. An operating coupler lift bar sure gave a sense of realism.

Doc Tom:mrgreen:

S class

What part of this big world do you hale from? Is it Australia?

Ground Hog Lovers of America Association

Dr Tom:cool::cool:

yeah doc I'm as Australian as they come but never really could understand why you yanks are so big on our collection of darwinian mishaps when you have so many weird little creatures of your own (and cougars, lets not forget the cougars).

and before you ask Kangaroo is incredibly tender if cooked right, Croc is even better I am told, Emu is gamey like a duck or goose and according to my cousin in the territory possum is the best of the lot, but I've never had it meself.

The Australian Association for the Consumption of Faunal and Floral Emblems​

Doctor G

Australia, Australia, Australia

yeah doc I'm as Australian as they come but never really could understand why you yanks are so big on our collection of darwinian mishaps when you have so many weird little creatures of your own (and cougars, lets not forget the cougars).

and before you ask Kangaroo is incredibly tender if cooked right, Croc is even better I am told, Emu is gamey like a duck or goose and according to my cousin in the territory possum is the best of the lot, but I've never had it meself.

The Australian Association for the Consumption of Faunal and Floral Emblems​

Hi S and g'day mate,

Yeah we got some weird critters here in the USA and like you guys some of them end up as table fare including cousins of our good friend, Lars, the rail road ground hog.

Interesting hearing the description of the eating of said evolutionary experiments in Australia.

While I am impressed by all your wildlife, I am really stunned by the beautiful model rail roading done in Australia too. I don't know if it is those giant Foster's beers or what but you guys continually crank out some cool model RR pikes. I am thinking of Red Stag and Muskrat Ramble etc. I also like how there is a continuous turnover in the layouts with new ideas and projects done by the very talented modelers every couple of years.

In closing here's a picture of a lucky Roo who got away from the hungry blokes and sheilas aboard that speeding arrow straight train in what I presume is the "outback."

Going for a walk about, Doc Tom:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Attachments

• train_kangaroo.jpg
    train_kangaroo.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 77

Bill Nelson

Tom,

I figured out how to get the roof off of the Kalamazoo passenger cars. the roofs are in the paint shop. I'm still cleaning crud out of the inside of the car bodies.

Bill Nelson