The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30

Doctor G

The Linville Depot gets hip.

That is the Linville Depot gets a hip roof. In following the prototype I was able to construct out of card stock a hip roof for the little depot at Linville. Here are some prototype pictures of the roof being installed during the reconstruction of the Linville Depot in North Carolina.

UV7PxoH.jpg

j6MYHDy.jpg

I had a much easier job using cardboard and Elmer's glue.

8BdXFQi.jpg

G8j0cH3.jpg

Qvi0oab.jpg

hlF98Fn.jpg

Because of the siding behind the depot I had to truncate the hip posteriorly. This is not too evident except in the one side picture.

QBPWykL.jpg

Next steps are styrene and plastic castings……more to come.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Doctor G

Color comes to Linville NC on the ET&WNC R.R.

This little layout is built on shelf that is about 18 inches– 24 inches deep. The East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad was definitely a mountain railroad. To get the look of depth and mountain scenery this little railroad needed a backdrop. When I saw that Railroad backdrops.com/affordable model railroads ………was voted the best in the Model Railroader magazine I took a look. When I saw they had a backdrop labeled “Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina” I was sold. I do not know where they took the picture but the backdrop is making my Linville LDE a little closer to the real deal in the prototype picture.

muUUjSh.jpg

mclPdL0.jpg

b8k04v1.jpg

Y4SV7Wz.jpg

tKJ7WA2.jpg

Here are some before and after shots showing how the masonite was used to secure the backdrop.

Sj8UfPd.jpg

EijfY3O.jpg

YxLU1KF.jpg

As always, thanks for looking. Dr. Tom

Doctor G

RPO/ Baggage Car #15 rides the rails at Linville on the ET & WNC RR.

Maintenance man J.R.Smith is patiently awaiting the opening of the baggage door on the new #15 combine at Linville Station. He has work to do. The security minded postal workers are busy fumbling with the pad locked door and there will be some delays in getting “J. R.” on board. But there will be no postal robberies by the likes of Jessie James this day.

tmgMfbd.jpg

1MlOtyw.jpg

jugu1SJ.jpg

3t0jHDj.jpg

This is the second Deerfield Laser Kit I have built up on a donated On30 Bachmann chassis. I chose a different paint scheme after riding a prototype passenger car at “Tweetsie” this past summer at the ET & WNC RR Historical society meeting.

aC8lLJR.jpg

9JL7i6L.jpg

Here is #15 with sister Azalea in a different shade of green.

wLjVgWW.jpg

Here are some older color shots of # 15 as well. Let me know, with your 1920’s imagination, which color looks best ?

hNY98eW.jpg

O7wnGMG.jpg

6YbvxdG.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
USB from phone to computer, use power cord. If using Android, slide down from the top of screen, You will see USB Charging this device"
"Tap for more options"
Tap it, and select "Transfer Files", On your P.C., go to My Computer, select "Open" to view contents, then navigate to you pictures, it's best to copy and paste them first, before deleting any pics on your phone, once you confident the transfer is done, you can efficiently clean your folder from your computer.

Sorry if this is redundant. ;)

Doctor G

One of the benefits of using foam to build mountains and hills is that, unlike the prototype, they are quite easy to move and lightweight. It was time for some trees on the Linville LDE. So one of the hills was removed to the workbench and trees planted.

cQVt8P5.jpg

I really got into the swing of things and the next thing you know pine trees and hardwoods were sprouting up all over the place.

AoQUqFK.jpg

Putting a train into the picture really gave a sense of perspective and distance. Keep in mind that this shelf layout is only 18 inches deep.

FUqASQl.jpg

8xQKtI8.jpg

33 trees are in place and a whole heck of a lot more are needed.

Thank you for looking and all commentary is welcome.

Dr. Tom

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Kind of nice to have you own world to go to. It's like reality, it's never finished, but it's always there. This thread is a look into his world he has invited us to look into.

I lived next to a train station, probably 1.5 times that size, for 23 years. They all have that hip roof. Those roofs are great to wait under when it's raining. ;)

Doctor G

Kind of nice to have you own world to go to. It's like reality, it's never finished, but it's always there. This thread is a look into his world he has invited us to look into.

I lived next to a train station, probably 1.5 times that size, for 23 years. They all have that hip roof. Those roofs are great to wait under when it's raining. ;)
Thanks Zathros. I do like these little depots with the "hipster" roof lines. Hope to go from mock up to model fairly soon. Doc Tom

Doctor G

Thanks Bill. I did have an order delayed 2 months but it did get here. I have enough for the start of LDE #2.

Here is some more of the Tweetsie Tale:

I thought I would switch tracks this week and make some little people to populate the Linville LDE.

I started with everyone's favorite “Tweetsie” engineer, Mr. Sherman Pippin.

Uu6TKbR.jpg

Shapeways 3-D printing makes a very nice rendition of this iconic figure. With paint, paint washes, and dry brushing I created my model of Mr. Pippin.

4jcyNe9.jpg

I did not want to stop with Mr. P and have attempted a recreation of Mr. Cy Crumley, a beloved conductor on the ET&WNC RR. Here are Messers Pippin and Crumley posing in classic railroad photos with two friends from Germany Helga and Heidi (Orange plastic Preiser figures with paint jobs.).

IRPnmL6.jpg

yiA10fi.jpg

oFKFqLl.jpg

Shapeways was nice enough to make a working man Mr Pippin shoveling coal.So I put him to work.

O3EhXj6.jpg

The story goes that Mr. Pippin, always a kind gentleman, offered to shovel coal for Fireman Fred when his back was out. All Fred had to do was drive the locomotive. Sherman did holler some instructions to Fred above the noise of the panting locomotive.

4vMo5EC.jpg

JnOoHs2.jpg

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Doctor G

Helga and Heidi from Germany are moving to Linville North Carolina. Being rather affluent, they have their brand-new T-Model in tow behind the ET&WNC RR passenger train.

lv1CH4D.jpg

Conductor Cy Crumley knows just the place outside of Linville to let then get a good glimpse of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

EomjEki.jpg

IzIftUe.jpg

While quite a stunning view, Heidi would rather play in the car.

gIr9Beo.jpg

These are some of the many trees I've been working on this weekend to give the layout a mountainous look.

2RWdTRz.jpg

The layout has sure come a long way from the blue foam stage.

ePTFgU7.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Bill Nelson

Looking really good , I have been doing very little , have been building a laser cur store / gas station, but with no real plans, it's hard to focus down on anything.

I should probably be doing overhauls on all my smallest power, to prep them for a Bumpass like portableBut what I'd really like to see is my 4-4-0s stretch thier legs, but that is going to be a ways off.

Doctor G

Looking really good , I have been doing very little , have been building a laser cur store / gas station, but with no real plans, it's hard to focus down on anything.

I should probably be doing overhauls on all my smallest power, to prep them for a Bumpass like portableBut what I'd really like to see is my 4-4-0s stretch thier legs, but that is going to be a ways off.
Hi Bill,
Glad you like the progress. In Haiti on the 26 th annual medical team. Internet actually working tonight.

Looking forward to seeing your new project.
Tom

Doctor G

REDO OF PREVIOUS POST ,NOW WITH CORRECT SIZED PICTURES
angel_125.gif

Scared “sheepless” on the ET&WNC.

ET&WNC engine #12 is barreling out of Linville N.C. and heading towards Geraldo’s farm tucked in a holler in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

j9kSi64.jpg

You would think Geraldo’s critters would be used to the steam locomotive calling for grade just outside his barn.

kEBV0N1.jpg

But no, the sheep are scared and bleating up a storm and the ole gray mare is prancing and pawing the ground and ready to take off at a gallop.

OPMYUym.jpg

The only calm four legged mammal is Jessie, Geraldo’s milk cow. She is busy with a nice mouthful of cud and not to concerned about the contraption upsetting the peace of a summer’s day in 1921.

ENEOuwu.jpg

6UVeMJx.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Last edited:

Doctor G

The Linville River layout design element (LDE) on the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

The good ole boys have been hard at work constructing the next layout design element(LDE) on the ET and WNC RR in On30.

nuQ5hrG.jpg

We are back in the blue foam stage again. The river bottom is tempered hardboard and will be painted to look like a swift flowing river in the mountains.

5mRolyx.jpg

The through truss iron bridge over the river is a cutdown Bachmann “Plasticville” bridge in O scale. If you all know of any other iron truss bridge kits in O scale let this “ole boy” know.
bouncy_125.gif

7Tg3Pp1.jpg

So far the bridge is doing its job to keep the feet of the steam lokie dry.

1p9Fnp1.jpg

Doctor G

Color comes to the bridge scene on the ET&WNC in On30.

To me, it is always amazing a little paint and some ground foam can upgrade a scene on a model railroad.

During the Easter holiday my little bridge on the “Tweetsie” went from:

5mRolyx.jpg

7Tg3Pp1.jpg

To this:

WirRLXX.jpg

1yJlyVX.jpg

I still have to weather the bridge and get some water in the river but that will be so much fun!

Thanks for looking. Dr. Tom

Doctor G

I tried my hand at the first video on the new On30 Layout.

Here is ET&WNC #11 doing a runby at the Linville Depot. The depot is in "mock up" with cardboard and foam core board.

Thanks for looking. Dr Tom

Doctor G

It was time to weather the bridge over the Linville River and put in some water. We went from this:

7Tg3Pp1.jpg

To this:

G6u78dI.jpg

Using an interesting product called ModPodge you can make a shiny water surface on flat painted hardboard.

Y3TvixS.jpg

UhfVMGp.jpg

lr3Hdu9.jpg

Here are some classic railroad pictures of a train passing over a through Truss Bridge in the Blue Ridge.

8niAky4.jpg

Z2X6HAF.jpg