The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30

Doctor G

Sep 2, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
Juice for Linville

While not as glamorous as the number two spot working its way to the Linville interchange with a load of logs, electrical wiring is extremely important on a model railroad.

With a foam sub roadbed on a shelf, there is very little depth to hide the jungle of wires so common in Model Rail Roads. The side profile is quite thin, at best 2 inches.

Working with the foam means the lightweight mountains, hillocks and hills can easily be removed.

The whole layout can then be turned up on its side to do the dirty, non glamorous work of electrical wiring.

The inexpensive “router” attachment for the hard working Dremel tool is used to cut grooves in the underside to a depth of a 1/2”.

Next the wiring is pushed in to the groove and secured using dabs of hot glue. “ Suit case” connectors make easy work of splicing in to the wires in the grooves

After labelling the connectors that will go to the electronics box below the shelving the layout is brought back to place on the wire shelving and it is on to the more glamorous work of building the Linville LDE for the On30 East Tennessee and Western RR.

Thanks for looking. Hope this mini tutorial wasn’t too boring.

Doc Tom

Reactions: Gandolf50

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Ohh My! Every Time I see lichen it takes me back, to pre-teen era!! That smell!! Wonderful! I can still remember opening a couple packs that were a X-Mas gift!!

Bill Nelson

Dec 15, 2008
Clarksville Tn
I'm liking the way this is looking! isn't homabed wonderful stuff. I've not liked the diea of mounting track directly on foam, but homabed on foam will probably give much beter support.

Doctor G

Sep 2, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
I'm liking the way this is looking! isn't homabed wonderful stuff. I've not liked the diea of mounting track directly on foam, but homabed on foam will probably give much beter support.
Yes, Homabed is great!! Looking forward to sanding and sealing it and getting some of Peco's nifty On30 track down. I really like the precut Homabed for the turnouts. Maybe running a steam engine before Christmas :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Tom

Doctor G

Sep 2, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

Doctor G

Sep 2, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
The good old boys in the Blue Ridge have been working hard to get the first structure built on the Linville LDE.

I am trying to re-create this scene from Linville in 1920 on the ET &WNC RR. I thought I would start with the simplest structure.... the line side shed

I found it on eBay and thought it was a nifty stand in for the little shed.

Thanks for looking. Tom

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
My motto "Its hard to screw up scenery". Doc Tom
I don't think that would fly while talking to the Scenery Director about something he didn't like...Of course in my case, a few mouse clicks and time will get it how he wants it !!
Love seeing your layouts!!