Sudsy's (Patoroch) Vulture build

Dagger

Great, looks great !! Model very nice, detailed, robust with great painting work. I thank you very much for sharing this.

dr_tetrode

Nice build and finsh! Now where can I go to the 'Sudsy school of Laminating"? How do you do the lamination to create the thickness? Which glues? What methods, would love to know more. If you picked up the techniques form another post, what would that be? I still think a picture tutorial would help alot! Enjoyed reading and watching this model come together.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Nice build and finsh! Now where can I go to the 'Sudsy school of Laminating"? How do you do the lamination to create the thickness? Which glues? What methods, would love to know more. If you picked up the techniques form another post, what would that be? I still think a picture tutorial would help alot! Enjoyed reading and watching this model come together.

Yeah, a tutorial would be nice... I need to find a way to file them hands-free, without having to buy a GoPro or the like! My method of laminating is to spread thickened ( old) ELMERS GLUE with one of the multitudes of plastic fake Credit Cards that come in the mail, and then use a printers rubber roller to smooth and adhere the pieces together. I also use spray adhesive on board and roll the same to build up 1mm+ stock. It all then gets placed on a flat surface, and either a piece of glass or on smaller stuff 3/8ths inch Plexiglass sheet with a weight on top ( weight can be anything that will sit flat, like a dictionary or even full water bottles).

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
or how about these?? got them out of a old photo enlarger that was in trash. weigh about 2 lbs each.

Attachments

• 20190414_105619.jpg
    20190414_105619.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20190414_105727.jpg
    20190414_105727.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Gandolf50

Staff member
or how about these?? got them out of a old photo enlarger that was in trash. weigh about 2 lbs each.

PERFECT!!!
s-l1600.jpg

Dover Sad Irons, Cast Iron!

Sudsy

I have another question.

Do you laminate full sheets first, and then cut or do you laminate pieces?

Scott ;-)

For this project, the wing sheets were entire sheets laminated using 3M spray adhesive.

For other smaller parts, I take scrap pieces and laminate several parts before cutting them smaller, typically using the same glue I use for assembly (wood glue) and a piece of card or my finger tip to spread the glue depending upon size of part.

Gandolf50

Staff member
I have another question.

Do you laminate full sheets first, and then cut or do you laminate pieces?

Scott ;-)

Same here... For the formers, I will laminate the page to a specified thickness board, usually .5mm. I try to laminate ALL the large pieces and full pages that need lamination, as the first step. I DON"T laminate a full page onto 1mm or larger, but instead do those parts individually, but I will try to laminate all the parts that need it at one time, most models have stages ( all of them ?) and I laminate everything for that stage before I start cutting.

So in answer to your question...BOTH or YES I do!;)

Sudsy

Vulture needs a nest... So, I found a Genet Miniatures landing pad on my hard drive that I downloaded from: https://www.genetmodels.com/free-stuff/ Sorry, I do not remember the year it is in the catalog... Which means, if you are like me, spending the next few hours downloading any model that looks cool and adding to the "I'll get around to it some day" category.

"Someday" was Sunday!

20190505_132233.jpg20190505_132227.jpg20190505_132217.jpg20190505_132212.jpg20190505_132033.jpg20190505_132025.jpg20190505_132020.jpg20190505_125744.jpg20190505_125534.jpg20190505_124948.jpg20190505_122945.jpg20190505_122934.jpg20190505_122928.jpg20190505_121746.jpg20190505_121732.jpg

I must say, the Vulture looks happy in it's nest!

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I like the landing pad. I see that there is a great deal of greebling potential. It is a great way to display your model.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I counted a multitude of more details I would add on a second build... If I do it just by laminating... Much less paint it like I did the Vulture. But it was a good flex of limited building time on a busy weekend!
Laminating parts is the easiest way to add detail to any model. I use that technique more often than not.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Gandolf50

Staff member
Nice nest for your vulture, so I'm not the only one that accumulates links and files!
It's Called "Paper Craft Hoarding"... That's why I have to keep buying more internal and external drives...somehow a 4 TB drive tends to fill up quickly... Of course, I can never find anything when I want...even though I tell myself I am going to change the names after download so I know what it is, I never seem to remember to do all of them!!