SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33

tino

Mar 17, 2004
Ponte de Lima Portugal
The SR 71 Blackbird was a unique aircraft. After a drought of many years, two new models of this plane have appeared in recent years.

I even bought and printed some pages of KenlWest's SR 71 but with the appearance of new models I decided to buy the first one that became available.

I hope I don't regret it.

The model:

The model comes in an A3 format book with almost 20 sheets, including 1 with the story and instructions written in Polish and two more pages with assembly diagrams that are super basic, in other words, bad. There is a lot left unexplained with the instructions provided and it feels like we are putting together the puzzle trying to figure out where and how many of the pieces are going to be molded and glued together. The plane has 729 pieces and will measure 99cm x 51cm.

This model is assembled in a similar way to the hull of a ship, with a cardboard “skeleton” that is then covered with paper pieces that form the model's covering.

I confess that this model makes me very skeptical about its quality and especially in terms of the fit of the pieces. Still, the desire to assemble it is great.

I started the model by assembling the skeleton of the front part of the cockpit. The cardboard pieces were laser cut and so far everything fits perfectly. I have now added the pieces that line the interior of the cockpit.

Attachments

• SR71 - 1.jpg
    SR71 - 1.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 13
  • SR71 - 3.jpg
    SR71 - 3.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 12
  • SR71 - 4.jpg
    SR71 - 4.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SR71 - 5.jpg
    SR71 - 5.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 11
  • SR71 - 6.jpg
    SR71 - 6.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 14

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I Love me some Blackbird, Many moons ago I took a Testors 1/48 SR-71 kit and backdated it to the M-21 Mothership, with D-21 Drone. It sat proudly on my top shelf until I moved to Ga, when I donated it to the Hobbytown USA in Jackson Ms.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
FIrst off, Welcome back. I am glad to see that you are back to building models again.
The SR-71 is one of my favourite planes. There is one at the BOEING MUSEUM of FLIGHT, in Seattle, WA. There is also one (along with the Drones that accompanied it) at the Evergreen Flight and Space Museum, in McMinnville, OR.

You are off to a great start with this project. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
FIrst off, Welcome back. I am glad to see that you are back to building models again.
The SR-71 is one of my favourite planes. There is one at the BOEING MUSEUM of FLIGHT, in Seattle, WA. There is also one (along with the Drones that accompanied it) at the Evergreen Flight and Space Museum, in McMinnville, OR.

You are off to a great start with this project. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
The one at Evergreen is the M-21 Mothership. It started life as the A-12 2 seat trainer, them was modified to be the carrier and launcher for the D-21 drone. It is a one of a kind Blackbird, The backseat is set up to control and monitor the D-21, and it has no cameras in the bays.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Ken West makes some of the very best models. Looking forward to your build. When you complete the build thread, you can post a one time link to where you got the model from.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I misread your post. Ken West's model is awesome. I have not seen the model by "Answer" built, but I imagine it should be of very high quality. The models I have seen of theirs are always top-notch. ;)