Spaceagent-9 2017 build pic threads

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The black indeed absorbs the light, so it is best to use some bright colour inside and black on the outside to block the light. In the plamo business the builder spray-paints the inside of the model black and then applies a layer of white or silver to increase the blocking and create a reflective layer. The metal pigments in the metallic paint should block the light even more effectively because they are more opaque. If you use aluminium foil be careful not to let the wires of the LEDs touch the foil or you will end up with a short.

i30151bqf2ix.jpg

On my Cylon Raider I only used aluminium foil on the engines. This was a very crude construction. The LEDs were installed diectly inside the thruster, no lightbox needed. The foil was glued to the back of the thruster tube for additional reflection. They are EXTREMELY bright as you can see. ;)

i30149bcod65.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The black indeed absorbs the light, so it is best to use some bright colour inside and black on the outside to block the light. In the plamo business the builder spray-paints the inside of the model black and then applies a layer of white or silver to increase the blocking and create a reflective layer. The metal pigments in the metallic paint should block the light even more effectively because they are more opaque. If you use aluminium foil be careful not to let the wires of the LEDs touch the foil or you will end up with a short.

View attachment 205306

On my Cylon Raider I only used aluminium foil on the engines. This was a very crude construction. The LEDs were installed diectly inside the thruster, no lightbox needed. The foil was glued to the back of the thruster tube for additional reflection. They are EXTREMELY bright as you can see. ;)

View attachment 205307
Wow, somehow I missed this one. What a beauty!! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Would foil in the inner box magnify the lighting, to avoid the black paper absorbing some of it?

Sort of a photographer's trick....
yes, the foil lining reflects, the black absorbs. The light box I'm building for my Revell-o-gram TOS BSG is painted black to block light, then white to reflect the light out.

Reactions: spaceagent-9

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA

View attachment 205306

View attachment 205307
I agree with John, this is a great looking Raider.

Reactions: spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Would foil in the inner box magnify the lighting, to avoid the black paper absorbing some of it?

Sort of a photographer's trick.

I would even encase a white LED in Styrofoam to dim and disperse the light, to add a more realistic look to the appearance of the model. It really depends on the effect you are going for. but reflective tape does amplify the brightness of the LEDs.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member

View attachment 205306

View attachment 205307

What a great build and awesome example of lighting!

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
What I heard before all the Wang went crazy and bashed it rumors is that a network executive stole it and it sat in Reno for years in a box, after his death they went thru his stuff and found it, but a collector bought it up right away and it is somewhere on the east coast, I think in Virginia but I'm not sure. That was in 2004, oh and the nacelle globes were a powder blue glass.

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Yes, Wang wasn't white enough to be in the prop makers-stage- union and he was released from his contract after making many of the star trek props. It was during all that the executive seized it and then took it home to avoid lawsuits or any kind of difficulties with the prop union.

Reactions: zathros

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I never heard of that.

I was told, though this could have been biased, given the personalities involved, that he was not paid for all assignments, having built a large number of props and minis, and doing much of it "off the books" to avoid union issues. I had not heard that it was taken by an executive....theft from Trek studios has been pretty common over the decades.