Spaceagent-9 2017 build pic threads

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, that Klingon ship is excellent. It's become the norm for you!! :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Obsessions pay off! the bell front was designed by Ron Caudillo and the rest of the model was designed by Wulf111. I printed a blank on the aqua paper and made a few minor adjustments to replicate the first st movie's prototype studio models. they were replaced by the K'Tinga.

spaceagent-9

Well Clever's Excelsior is an excellent model, the only thing I would advise is to test fit and size every piece before gluing. It's been a pleasure building this. the micro warbling you see could be cured by using thicker paper. I cant use acetate due to allergy, so I use hot glue. maybe a good painting tape butt join, and then pull over backwards from the face of it, and glue that way would work. Some of you are experts at clean builds, it would be nice to see this one done perfectly. [I scratch built the aft shuttle dome or whatever that thing is behind the struts oval main support.

excelsior build pics.png

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That looks really good. Are you putting in LEDs or fiber optics?

spaceagent-9

Not on this one, I needed a practice build. just some blue leds in the obvious places and red impulse and green sensors. I'm waiting for Wulf111 to finish his 1/350 or 1/450 excelsior for the real light up build ! I might do a really big Stargazer too. And Ron's big recolor of his 1701 Enterprise.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Amazing behind the scenes pictures! I love that stuff from "the old days". :)

spaceagent-9

https://i.imgur.com/7nbgSv6.png

Skeleton build, lots more to do. Push a button, the plasma torpedo will be blue. Manta vents on each side of the bridge, blue. Eyes on that oval thingy, green. The nav delector as you can see, green. Graph unit or engine, green with amber e-candle in back.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome builds. A lot of those models used the fluorescent ring shaped bulbs inside the saucer sections. I think that's why the glowed, such diffused light would do that. I still would like to see someone light up a ship using fiber optics. You could do a whole sip using one bulb, and colored film stock for the other colors needed.

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I'm not sure if I will use fiber optics on the big Excelsior. I have had a lot of problems with them, but that was in the early 1990s. I will consider it for something. here is a mod piece im using on the nacelles for the Excelsior to match the ST3 version.

View attachment 161270

Spaceagent,

The photo you posted here I'm trying to figure out what it is... oh wait a second I get it now it's a modified piece for the nacelle. Almost lost in translation. Thanks for sharing.

Sky Seeker

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

Incidentally! a friend of mine was so very thoughtful and kind as to run off some things for me!
check it out, 3-d printed scifi mini models.
I'm very delighted! Again my thanks for these!

GEDC2798.JPG
the stuff they are made from is kind of like really hard nylon or like a car tire flexibility. just a little flex. I think I need to wash them but I will have to look into what to use. those blue supports on the saucers are a disposable razor blade guard so you can estimate the scale. I'm in admiration of these, they had to fix a couple of the meshes and it worked out great! Neat pocket pals, and just great, what do they call them nowadays? Fidgets?

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Incidentally! a friend of mine was so very thoughtful and kind as to run off some things for me!
check it out, 3-d printed scifi mini models.
I'm very delighted! Again my thanks for these!

View attachment 161413
the stuff they are made from is kind of like really hard nylon or like a car tire flexibility. just a little flex. I think I need to wash them but I will have to look into what to use. those blue supports on the saucers are a disposable razor blade guard so you can estimate the scale. I'm in admiration of these, they had to fix a couple of the meshes and it worked out great! Neat pocket pals, and just great, what do they call them nowadays? Fidgets?
Love the Starfuries! The LEDs on the D7 look great!

Thanks for sharing!

Sky Seeker