Simple P-40 rubber powered glider kit

finchhawk

I know that this is probably not the norm around here, but it's a big deal for my son and I. We found this kit at Cracker Barrel after dinner one night. My son was really excited, so I bought the P-40 and the V tail kits for him.

My son is thirteen and has been struggling with autism his entire life. For him to show a sincere interest isn't common place.

I missed pics for the initial part of the assembly. He is having a good time.
wood p40 1.jpg
Wings assembled. He's applying the lower wing covering.

wood p40 2.jpg
The wings are done. The fuselage is next.

Last edited:

finchhawk

By the way, this is the first time he has glued a model together of any sort. He has done a couple of quick snap together plastic models and assisted dad on other projects.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
WOW!
That is GREAT that your son is starting to build his own models by himself!
Please continue to post his progress!
I will be following this thread.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I agree with RB keep posting his progress and give him the encouragement he needs.

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
This is a great thread! I love to hear of the younger folks taking an interest in building/crafting. It is very therapeutic (at least for me), and a focused mind is a great thing (still trying to get there). Good job on fostering this in your son.

Best Regards,

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
its great that you have a common interest with your son! you know paper modelers though, better build some shelves!

finchhawk

He finished the main model with a little help. Looks pretty good. Haven't installed the landing gear because they put some stick like pieces in the kit instead of the nice wheel pants shown on the side of the box. Can't have that, so I'm going to fashion some nicer pieces for him.
wood p40 7.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Keep the rudder to the right (if you are winding it to the left), and/or make sure you have the aileron on the right wing up, you could use a "trim tab", this will make the plane fly straight, and when the prop stops spinning, put it into a gentle turn, and it will circled round till it lands (compensates for P-Factor). I made one similar to the one below. They can fly really far. Especially if you rub the rubber band with just a touch of "Brake Fluid', allows the rubber band to really wind up and release fast. It becomes addictive. I would fly in fields that had tall grass, so the planes would not destroy themselves on landing. I still have mine in my Barn, being 1:08 a.m., it would be a pain to get it, but it is probably 27 years old now!! :)

pt1.jpg

finchhawk

Thank you everyone. He loves reading the comments. I happened to find more of mini models in a Hobby Lobby store when I was out with the wife. He now has three to build when he wants.

Also, the air show was a big hit. We even collected some detail pics for future models. he can't stop talking about the Blue Angels.

Currently he is working on a plastic canvas project, so the models will be on hold.

finchhawk

The first flight went smoothly as well as all the test flights. The second met with some damage to the nose. Luckily these models are simple to repair.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Keep the rudder to the right (if you are winding it to the left), and/or make sure you have the aileron on the right wing up, you could use a "trim tab", this will make the plane fly straight, and when the prop stops spinning, put it into a gentle turn, and it will circled round till it lands (compensates for P-Factor). I made one similar to the one below. They can fly really far. Especially if you rub the rubber band with just a touch of "Brake Fluid', allows the rubber band to really wind up and release fast. It becomes addictive. I would fly in fields that had tall grass, so the planes would not destroy themselves on landing. I still have mine in my Barn, being 1:08 a.m., it would be a pain to get it, but it is probably 27 years old now!! :)

pt1.jpg

That aircraft flew around 300 feet way up, and glided along time. I was happy I set up a trim tab to put it into agentle turn, or I probably would have lost it as the wind at 300 feet was very strong that day. These cabin cruisers aren't difficult to make. You should use "Monocote' on them, and get away from doping tissue. It makes for a much more durable plane.

http://www.monokote.com/ It comes it many colors, and sparkles, opalescent colors. You use a small teflon iron to put it on, and it shrinks, leaving to bumps, or seams.

Here is a well made Monocote covered Bi-plane:

SuperStearman-600x345.png

Some of the colors available. It sticks well to itself, making for great graphic designs. :)
topq0200-main.jpg

finchhawk

We installed the landing gear. After some research, he decided that he liked the "stick" landing gear since we didn't find any pics of a P-40 with wheel pants or gear covers.
p40 w gear.jpg
He wanted it to look like it had tires. A little permanent marker works well. He glued on some black thread for the antenna and voila.