Shunichi Makino's AT-AT (Christmas AT-AT)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The foot and ankle:

DSCF8505.jpg

DSCF8508.jpg

DSCF8509.jpg

DSCF8522.jpg

Crab walk! :Grin:

DSCF8523.jpg

DSCF8524.jpg

Now comes something which threw me off (the second alignment mistake I spoke of): The seam lines on the tubes do not match.

DSCF8525.jpg

The parts must be turned by 90° so that the hole in 68 is aligned with the seam of part 70:

DSCF8526.jpg

DSCF8527.jpg

The circle on part 68 is a bit too small which makes the flaps showing. I cut the ring a bit shorter on the next feet. That helped a bit but it was not perfect.

DSCF8528.jpg

Tube #58 is pushed through the hole. I rotated it so that I could have a good look at the seam line.

DSCF8532.jpg

DSCF8533.jpg

Then the ankle parts are attached.

DSCF8513.jpg

Please note that I did not fold the flaps on 56 yet.

DSCF8530.jpg

Then two small cylinders are attached:

DSCF8514.jpg

and two rods are formed:

DSCF8515.jpg

The piston 59 is glued to the 61. 62 is not glued but merely pushed inside 61.

DSCF8516.jpg

DSCF8517.jpg

DSCF8518.jpg

That allows the piston to move freely. It even rocks! :)

DSCF8531.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was curious to see how the model compares size-wise to the old mpc model kit. Here are a few pictures:

DSCF8593.jpg

DSCF8594.jpg

That shot clearly shows: The papercraft is a bit larger than the mpc. I stand corrected because at the beginning of the project I thought both were the same size.

DSCF8596.jpg

DSCF8600.jpg

A rear view. It looks like both models are the same size but this is due to the fact that I lifted up the plamo version which is now closer to the camera, making it appear bigger than it really is. You too can notice several differences in the detailing. I know that many parts are mirrored on the mpc. The paper model seems to have the greeblies and plates in the correct spots.

DSCF8602.jpg

The side guns served me as a guide to beef up the paper guns. I'll tell you the "recipe" in the next post. ;)

DSCF8603.jpg

DSCF8605.jpg

A front view of the plastic side gun. You may use this to flesh out the paper ones which are completely flat.

DSCF8606.jpg

Plastic on the left, paper on the right.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I saved the she side guns for last for obvious reasons. I printed two additional versions and started to laminate them.

DSCF8607.jpg

DSCF8608.jpg

DSCF8609.jpg

Instead of laminating the guns to a thin grey piece as suggested in the instructions I laminated them to 1mm card. I glued a mirrored version of the gun (printed on 160 gsm paper) to the back side.

DSCF8610.jpg

Then the "ammo" part of the gun was laminated to 1mm card and attached. The same was done on the back side using a reversed print. Last one circle was laminated to 1mm card and glued to the outside of the gun. The other side may remain without the circle because this is where the gun is mounted to the head.

DSCF8611.jpg

DSCF8612.jpg

DSCF8613.jpg

DSCF8614.jpg

DSCF8615.jpg

DSCF8616.jpg

DSCF8617.jpg

The inside of the chin guns were painted dark grey with a marker to disguise the white paper inside.

DSCF8618.jpg

DSCF8620.jpg

The main parts are now stading by for final assembly. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now the legs were attached - and the AT-AT was ready (to go :Grin: )! :)

DSCF8629.jpg

DSCF8631.jpg

DSCF8632.jpg

DSCF8634.jpg

DSCF8635.jpg

DSCF8636.jpg

DSCF8637.jpg

One note: I found the upper leg joint and the ankle joint to be very unstable. The joints are handy to pose the model in a nice striding pose but I ended up glueing them together. ;)