Shamus - Health update

shamus

Registered Member
What can say but thank you once again for the very kind words.

Pete my boy, didn't realise you still had that climax. LOL

To Steve,
I have always taken the view that if you can't say nice things to people, then don't say anything at all. It has stood me good for 71 years, and 50+ of those in model railroading.

Shamus

steamhead

Shamus...Gentlemen like yourself are hard to come by nowadays....And your modeling has been an inspiration to countless folks here at the Gauge. I have several pictures of your outstanding work which I keep handy, and use as desktops on my computer.
We wish you all the best, and will be here to lend a hand in whatever way we can.

Shamus Health

Copied from AMR (Shamus' site).......

Shamus (Paul) asked me to make this post to update everyone on his health…

Earlier this week Shamus was sent for emergency scans and blood tests after his doctor examined his latest chest x-ray.

Today came the news nobody wants to hear.

Shamus, on top of his emphysema (C.O.P.D), also has lung cancer which has spread into the lymph nodes.

A team of experts have given a life expectancy of around a year, or less. Due to the advanced stage of his emphysema, no treatment can be given, or is worth going through.

With this, Shamus will be taking down his railroad and selling what he can. As things currently stand he may build an n-scale diorama in the living room downstairs, health permitting. He also may not be as active on the forums as much, again, depending on his health.

This news has been devastating for the whole family. Shamus has said he will continue to make the best out of life he can. What happens from here we don’t know but one thing is for sure, I’ll be flying over as much as possible to give him plenty of grief like only a son can.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post,
David.

====================

For the newer members, Shamus (who is still an active member here) and a few others of us, helped start the original "The Guage" Model Railroad Forum in early 2001.......

Here is a link to the AMR (Shamus' "All Model Railroading" Forum) thread:
(You have to be an AMR member to see it) But I copied the first post above....
http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9718

David, I'm sure I speak for all on the Gauge, when I say how sorry I am to hear about your fathers health condition, but on a personal note, I will pray first for Shamus, that our God and Eternal Father will take him peacefully and without suffering when his time comes, and welcome him into his Everlasting Bosom, his word promised that "THERE WILL BE NO TEARS OR SUFFERING THERE" And I will pray for your strength David, as we all think we are prepared, but when the time comes, we find we are still as children.

May God Bless You Both, Duane Hampton

shamus

Registered Member
Thank you all once again guys, most kind.
Worse news yet is that the cancer is spreading now the hospital state 6 to 9 months at the most. I was also told that the cancer will not kill me off, its the emphysema which is in it final stages which will do it by Suffocation. Meaning the lungs will just collapse. Not a very nice prospect to look forward to, I would really like a massive heart attack and go that way please. sign1:thumb:.

Shamus

Wow i just found this thread :eek: and im very sorry to hear the bad news, funny how life works. Any way as my grandfather said " them darn white coats arnt really sure of any thing but thier payday" some times i wonder if its true :roll:???? I do wish you a very heart felt sarrow in your time of need and may god see you out as time goes.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Courage, my friend, and a resolve to fill all your moments with life and joy!

I would hope, that when at last my foot is set upon that exit-less road to the unexplored horizon, I would have the strength of will to look the Reaper straight in the eye, and tell him to sit, and cool his heels while I sharpen his blade, that my passing would be the swifter.

Take comfort, and strength, from the knowledge that so many hearts, and so many good thoughts attend you, world wide, through these days.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Just another update from David, and it doesn't sound too good...

Taken from Qube's AMR thread:
Latest :

As you may have noticed, Shamus has not been online since the 1st of September.

The reason for this is that he has been in hospital with sever breathing problems, weakness and fatigue.

He returned home tonight but is still suffering from the above. I'm not sure when he will have enough energy to make it onto the forums but at the moment he is not a fraction of what he was just 5 weeks ago when I was over visiting.

Emphysema (COPD) must be one of the cruellest diseases going. From what I've seen it's like walking five paces is the same as running flat out for a 100 yards, talking requires the same energy as walking up a steep hill and coughing can take so much out of you that you can even pass out. To recover and get your breath back it's like sucking air through a flat straw. With that you can barely imagine how much it takes out of you to do any model railroading.

I'm not sure when Shamus will be back on the forums but wanted to keep you informed of the latest.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Not good news at all. That we may not see anything new from him is sad. That we will see him fight to the utmost end is perhaps sadder still.
If there is any good at all, it is the legacy he will leave, and the sheer number of lives he has touched.
My prayer, now, is that he will know when "kicking and screaming" no longer has any benefit, and he can let go of the suffering. That his Faith will help him take those final steps in peace.

Paul, I will celebrate your freedom from the cares of this world. I will miss you for the remainder of my days here. I am proud to call you friend.

hpept

I've been away from the forum for a while, and just came back today to find this bad news about Shamus. I see that the situation is critical, especially with emphisema which seems a bigger issue than the cancert itself.
I want to express all my simpathy to Paul, and tell him that he's a great man, for what he has done until today. I hope he can recover from this crisis to face better the illness.
Paul, there's not much to say in this kind of occasion, just be tough and strong and try to stay serene, knowing that you are surrounded by the loving cares of your family, bringing with you in any case, in any place, in any time, what really counts: love.
God Bless You

Roberto

ausien

The first time i come into the gauge for quite a while and I am confronted with this terrible news....( have read every word)...

PT(shamus) was one of the first modelers, and members i looked at or spoke to, his work held me in awe, as did that other great modeler the king of cerail board...his demise hit me hard as well.

to paul, david, and the rest of your family, I just wish to say, you are in our thoughts and prayers... and personaly I hope you go in your sleep,...

may you be with god a day before the devil knows your dead....

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Paul,

Never quite sure what to say here, but will echo the others' sentiments, prayers, and best wishes for you.

I will add (again, even though it's a repetition) that you are one of the main reasons for me enjoying The Gauge, making progress, and realizing the greatness of this hobby. Thank you for your insight, encouragement, and generosity with your lifetime of knowledge.

Andrew

Kevinkrey

I have never talked to paul much on here, but have seen his truly inspiring work, and now, his amazing musical skills. Best of luck to you Paul, everything happens for a reason. IT IS people like you who make not only the Gauge but the world what it is. Thank you.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Here is the latest from David over at AMR:

Qube said:
The latest is his breathing was very bad yesterday but better today (it's hit and miss) but still has no energy to get out of a chair.

I'm flying over in a couple of weeks to move his PC from upstairs to downstairs and get it connected to the internet so all being well he should be able to pop his head through the AMR door then
smile.gif

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I'm flying over in a couple of weeks to move his PC from upstairs to downstairs and get it connected to the internet so all being well he should be able to pop his head through the AMR door then

I can only begin to imagine how tough it is to not be able to visit with friends. I can, at least for now, get to the library to check in, and visit.
Hope this gets done sooner than later, it would be good to hear from Paul, here.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Terrible and altogether sad news indeed. Take it easy friend, and enjoy the company of friends and family. Most importantly, stay strong!

shamus

Registered Member
Many thanks my friends, I can at least get to this computer at least once per day for around 1/2 hour as after that I get too tired.

Will try and popin asap.

cheerio

Shamus

steamhead

Shamus....It's indeed great to see you at the computer...!!! Hopefully it'll be the first of many visits in the future..!!! :thumb: