Saint George's church, Vreden / Germany

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Today I took another close look at the building and noticed a flaw in the modeling of the roof of the side entrances. Quick and easy fix due to the simple geometry. :)

19.jpg

In addition, I solved the texture issue of the roof. I was about to rebuild it entirely in Corel as vector graphic and export it as bitmap to apply to the unfolded parts because there was a nasty moiré. The downside of this operation was that I would have had to use a plasma filter in Gimp to mimick the stains and dirt on it. I tried something different.

The image I had was about 4000 x 3000 pix. It provided the best view at the shingles I could get:

DSCF6949aa.JPG

I eliminated the anti-dove hooks, the chimney and the leaves with the clone tool in Gimp and compensated the narrow angle of the view by stretching the image.

DSCF6949aaa.JPG

This could be used as a texture but you would see a sharp border on the edges which would distract from the overal view. You need to make the texture seamless. Gimp worked well for the bricks but since the shingles are placed at a very strange angle the blending produces blurred overlays:

DSCF6949ba.JPG

This could be used as a texture but the result doesn't look too great because of the loss of the sharpness. So I tried something different.

I duplicated the background layer of the cleaned up image, moved it to a spot where the texture kind of lined up. Using a very soft and big eraser I removed a bit of the edges of the top layer to blend both parts together. This is repeated several times until I ended up with a six times larger image which was scaled down to 25%. This new image has a slight moiré as well but because of its enormous size it is far less prominent than in the first attempt.

DSCF6949ca.jpg

This image was now applied to the model. The brightness was toned down et voilà:

20.jpg

Nice authentic roof texture with stains and dove dirt. ;)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Chimney added.

21.jpg

I found out that the fully fleshed out long windows look better than the simple laminations. That means - more work for me, and you know how I LOOOVE assembling the same part over and over again..! :bulgeeye: :bulgeeye: :bulgeeye:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
long window_001a.jpg

FINALLY! I managed to create the long window prototype. That was pretty tricky because I photographed it at an angle and everything was distorted. With a combination of SketchUp modeling, texture projection, Pepakura unfolding, texture cleanup in Gimp and a lot of trial and error the window is now symmetrical and (almost completely) straight. That was by far the most challenging operation. This prototype will be copied and pasted - there are 46 of these windows on the model, and each of them has to be built separately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhead:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have no idea how I mised this thread. It's awesome. Very cool Marcel!! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan